DC Hotel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stay at either the Embassy suites in Alexandria or Embassy suites in Crystal city. Both of them are a two block walk from the metro stations.

We have stayed in the hotels around Metro's Metro Center station, which puts you in the Washington Convention area. There is an Embassy Suites there too, which gives you a living room with a pull out sofa, and a separate bedroom with, well, beds. Such might work better for 5 people sharing a single room.

Last August, we stayed at the Hyatt Place DC on K Street NW. A two or three block walk from McPherson Square Station and a bit more from Farragut North and Farragut West.

There were families there so I'm guessing accommodating five is a possibility. Breakfast included.

Any particular reason it has to be on the Metro? If you want something close to Union Station, check out Phoenix Park Hotel. Old-style real hotel.

If you're coming in from the North, I might look around New Carrolton, easy access to MARC, Amtrak and Metro.

I've taken the family many times to DC. Be warned that when a hotel says it "sleeps 5", it often means its has 2 queen beds, and can fit a rollaway bed. Thats not an optimal arrangement for everyone.

Last time we stayed at the Hotel Harrington, near the whitehouse and the metro, It was under 200, which was our budget, and everyone had there own bed.

Otherwise, when I'm just bringing my oldest kids, I'll stay just over the river- Ie Crystal City, Pentagon City, and Rossylyn. The 4-star hotels are rarely over $100, have pools and are right on the metro.

If you want something close to Union Station, check out Phoenix Park Hotel. Old-style real hotel.
Several of us used to stay there but it's been upgraded and is now pricey!

Lots of Lobbyists now take Congress Critters there to eat and drink in the Dubliner, the Irish Pub where we had our Gathering Group Dinner in Oct.

If you want something close to Union Station, check out Phoenix Park Hotel. Old-style real hotel.

Lots of Lobbyists now take Congress Critters there to eat and drink in the Dubliner, the Irish Pub where we had our Gathering Group Dinner in Oct.
I suspect a lot has to do on timing as I've seen rooms as low as $110 there.

In any case, yes Dubliner is a nice place to put back a pint.

Was looking at the place since a conductor usually stays there for union business, and unless the website hasn't been updated with new pictures, it's still incredibly outdated, and has tiny rooms. After talking with me, he decided to stay a three minute longer walk away at the hotel that Amtrak uses for crew, and actually saved $40/night. Annnnnnd it's a much better property overall. The Dubliner is much more reasonably priced for food, however.

I'm curious what the OP's budget and bedding requirement is. Might help suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Was looking at the place since a conductor usually stays there for union business, and unless the website hasn't been updated with new pictures, it's still incredibly outdated, and has tiny rooms. After talking with me, he decided to stay a three minute longer walk away at the hotel that Amtrak uses for crew, and actually saved $40/night. Annnnnnd it's a much better property overall. The Dubliner is much more reasonably priced for food, however.

I'm curious what the OP's budget and bedding requirement is. Might help suggestions.
I will agree, the rooms are tiny!

Any recommendations for a D. C. hotel for a couple? Might do our last zone trip to D. C. and would like a place close to metro lines, so we could get by without a car.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tonys96 ... See my post above. May or may not be to your liking but, it worked for us last August the we were fine with the Hyatt Place DC for our stay.

We did LA to WAS and back on an AGR redemption and spent 5 days sightseeing without a car.

Any recommendations for a D. C. hotel for a couple? Might do our last zone trip to D. C. and would like a place close to metro lines, so we could get by without a car.

Again I'll suggest the Liaison Hotel, depending on the time of year. In the next few weeks it's a dirt cheap 4-star that can be had for under $100 on some nights. During the summer it can fetch over $350. It is within walking distance of the Union Station, and very close to the capitol building.

Tony: you can't go wrong staying in Alexandria @ the Embassy Suites.( A Hyatt and Hilton are also close by but are pricier!)

Several of us stayed there during the Gathering. It includes Breakfast and snacks and drinks in the evening. It's right beside the Metro Station and behind it about 100 yards away ( parallel) is the Amtrak Station.

We just got back from a trip to DC and stayed at the Cambria in Rockville. It was a very nice place and two blocks to the Metro (and Amtrak).

I too like to find hotels near Metro stations.

I have stayed at the Marriott Wardman Park, which has the Woodley Park/Zoo Metro station right in the same block (but be aware the hotel is uphill from the station). It is kind of a gigantic convention hotel -- I sat down at the bar and the bartender asked me which event I was attending -- but I liked it a lot. I got a good rate through Priceline.com. The neighborhood is pretty nice as DC neighborhoods go.

I have also stayed at the Westin Crystal City in Arlington, which was a Sheraton when I stayed there almost three years ago. I got a really good rate using the HotelTonight app. The room was ordinary and the neighborhood seemed to be all offices, but I was just staying for one night and it got the job done. The Crystal City Metro station is about a block away.

I have not stayed there but I have a friend who lives just down the street from the Courtyard Navy Yard, and it looks nice from the outside. The neighborhood used to be sketchy, but since they built the Nationals ballpark there things have been gentrifying; still, it's not as nice a neighborhood as the Marriott Wardman Park. If you are there on a Friday in the summer you could walk over to the Marine Barracks and watch the Evening Parade. The Navy Yard Metro station is about a block away from the hotel.

I hope this helps.

Traveling as a couple I would recommend looking for hotels either by the Dupont Circle stop( lots of restaurants, shopping and museums) or Friendship Heights -- good shopping - not all of it high end ( both stops are on the red line from Union station.) My 2c -- I go to DC about 1-2 times a year since the 90's.

If its just two of you and your looking for luxury: try the omni shorehamn! Pricey but wonderful (got a free week stay for work). We booked the redience inn Arilenton Pentagon city

I like the Mayflower Hotel, part of the Marriott Autograph collection. From Union Station it's a direct ride for 5 stops on the Red Line. The Metro stop is Farragut North.

The nice thing is that the hotel entrance is less than 1 block from the Metro. Door to door the hotel is about 12-15 minutes from Union Station.

Embassy Suites Old Town Alexandria - is it possible to walk with luggage from there to the Amtrak station without getting mugged or run over?

Alexandria is very safe, especially in Old Town--there's no need to worry about the walk from the Amtrak station to the hotel. At most, you may encounter a homeless person when you walk underneath the tracks. The intersections by the station are complicated but to reach the Embassy Suites, it's easiest if you walk toward the main Metro entrance (near the buses) and then cross through the parking lot there.

The last time I stayed at the hotel, they also offered a local shuttle service that could pick you up or bring you back if you have lots of luggage or other limitations.

Bonus: if you're on a high floor at the hotel, you may have a great view of the trains!

Alexandria is very safe, especially in Old Town--there's no need to worry about the walk from the Amtrak station to the hotel. At most, you may encounter a homeless person when you walk underneath the tracks. The intersections by the station are complicated but to reach the Embassy Suites, it's easiest if you walk toward the main Metro entrance (near the buses) and then cross through the parking lot there.

The last time I stayed at the hotel, they also offered a local shuttle service that could pick you up or bring you back if you have lots of luggage or other limitations.

Bonus: if you're on a high floor at the hotel, you may have a great view of the trains!
THANK YOU!! That's exactly what I needed to know!!

Chey--

It's very safe in Alexandria--I just came back from a short trip there--I am a lady in her 60s who was traveling by myself and felt just fine. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn up the hill, which is very new and nice, but many people stayed at the Embassy Suites for the Gathering last year and liked it.

If you want something to eat without paying DC prices, there is a restaurant up the hill called Table Talk (I think--Table something), which serves a fantastic full breakfast at not much more than diner prices. Also, right next to the Embassy Suites is a sports bar restaurant, but you don't have to sit inside with the TVs--they have a very nice covered patio that looks toward the Metro, so you can see the Metros come and go as you eat.

Probably the most dangerous thing in Alexandria is the uneven historic bricks--just watch where you're walking and you should be fine.

Hope these suggestions help (and are not too late) and that you have a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back