#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

Obama's proposed high-speed rail network stuck in station

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 Chaz

Chaz

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Gay, Recovery, Literate blogs 'n podcasts, retired in Fl but heart still in NYC's Hell's Kitchen.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

At least tell us the publication & url. IPad opens the link only for a sec. Trying 4 times told me it's The Hill. I will try Google

OK http://www.freerepub...s/3374932/posts

Edited by Chaz, 20 December 2015 - 06:32 PM.

#3 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:50 PM

The Hill

http://thehill.com/p...tuck-in-station

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#4 northnorthwest

northnorthwest

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

Why do republicans hate trains?  They love cars, planes, and are even okay with buses.  But there is something about trains that they just CAN'T STAND!  What is it?

#5 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

Why do republicans hate trains?  They love cars, planes, and are even okay with buses.  But there is something about trains that they just CAN'T STAND!  What is it?

Passenger trains do NOT give campaign contributions.

#6 Alex M.

Alex M.

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

Try not to paint all Republicans with such a broad brush. Trent Lott, Ray LaHood, and others come to mind, as do governors of VA, NC and other states. We need to be fair and recognize allies on both sides of the divide.

#7 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:Reading all types of fiction and nonfiction; football; travel by all methods

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

Try not to paint all Republicans with such a broad brush.

The article mentions Republican Governors and Republicans in Congress blocking the rail plans.

#8 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,173 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

Also Republicans seem to have a particular issue with Amtrak. They have been more supportive of passenger trains in their local domains which are not Amtrak operated. OTOH there have been significant powerful Democrats in a very blue state like NJ who have vehemently opposed addition of new train service, one of them allegedly because it would compete with a bus company that he had interest in. Fortunately at least he has departed this world in peace.

Just like with any other issues, painting with a broad brush will cause one to miss the details and nuances and sometimes lead to hopelessly wrong conclusions about how to advance the cause of passenger trains.

For example the Southern Rail Group which is pushing for restoration of passenger service along the Gulf Coast counts among its supporters several Republicans including a US Senator (according to one of our friends at Amtrak), who played a significant role in pushing Amtrak to complete the study.

Edited by jis, 22 December 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#9 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:11 AM

The California High Speed Rail Blog responds to the original article.

http://www.cahsrblog...amas-hsr-plans/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users