Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Comparing Amtrak Schedules, Past vs. Present

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

I believe Amtrak has never had a train connecting ATL and Florida (the Floridian went through Alabama). The last train I am aware of between the cities was the Dixie Flagler. If I had to start from scratch and build a single rail line between the NEC and Florida I would run it via RGH, CLT, and ATL. It would be longer than going along the Atlantic Coast but you'd have a much larger potential audience. Was there ever a train from the NEC to Florida via ATL (maybe Seaboard Coast Line)? How about a train between CLT and Florida?

Nothing by SAL/ACL ran from the NEC to FL via Atlanta. The SAL had a train NEC-ATL-Birmingham. If you consult your rail atlas you'll see that the SAL/ACL really didn't have any real routings possible for it.

Now the Southern (SOU) Railway might have. But I'm pretty sure their Florida service which was very limited went on other routes. I believe their only contribution NEC to FL ran via Columbia and what became the SAL.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#82 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

How about Atlanta to Tampa and/or Orlando directly, bypassing Savannah/Jacksonville (roughly I-75)?

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#83 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,173 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

How about Atlanta to Tampa and/or Orlando directly, bypassing Savannah/Jacksonville (roughly I-75)?

No one cared about Orlando until Mickey Mouse set up residence there. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users