Service stops on Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryK

Lead Service Attendant
I will have a new service dog next month, and just before Christmas will be riding the Capitol Limited in a roomette from Chicago to Washington and back.

What are the train's service stops along the way? I need to plan ahead for walking the dog.

Toledo, Ohio for crew changes. Also Pittsburgh for crew changes. Usually a brief stop in Cumberland, Md. Depending upon whether the train is on time, you might have some time in Cleveland but cannot count on a long stop since crews do not change there

Last edited by a moderator:
Always communicate with your SCA. That way if scheduling is going to make a stop a quick one no one is caught off guard. Depending on your specific needs, upstairs vs downstairs space may be a consideration. If your impairment is hearing related, make sure the SCA knows to wave, the usual holler or announcement won't cut it. It is not something I have to deal with, but by observation, I have seen the passengers affected and the crews work things out extremely well every time. I'm sure it doesn't always go perfectly, but I've never seen it.

Thanks to all for the tips. Looks like the workable pee stops on the eastbound Capitol Limited are Toledo at 11:39 pm, Pittsburgh at 5:05 a.m., and Cumberland at 9:20 a.m.

I'll also be taking the Empire Builder Chicago-Seattle in January. The service stops and crew changes seem to be a little farther apart on that run.

Empire Builder service/long stops. I ride the Builder relatively often.

Milwaukee (3:52 pm)

Winona (7:47 pm) (crew change)

St. Paul (9:53 pm - 10:10 pm)

St. Cloud? (12:30 am) (this is a crew change, but I don't think they open up here for a "fresh air break")

Minot (8:29 am -9:06am) (service stop and crew change)

Williston (11:07 am) (this is a long stop because they have a lot of action and they usually let you off for a "fresh air break". They almost always specifically warn you not to go into the station and to stay on the platform here.)

Havre (2:39 pm - 3:04 pm) service and conductors change.

Shelby (5:22 pm) engineer change

Whitefish (8:56 pm - 9:16 pm ) service stop.

Spokane (1:40 am - 2:15 am) service stop and crew change. Note that this is where the train splits and you probably won't have all the time and they may not open your car up. They often button it up early in preparation for the switching.

Wenatchee (5:35 am) Engineer change. Last "fresh air break"

St. Cloud? (12:30 am) (this is a crew change, but I don't think they open up here for a "fresh air break")
They usually don't let people off the platform here as they often have to do a double (or triple!) spot at this platform. However, if everything's running on time out of St. Paul and there's no delays through the Twin Cities area, often the train will arrive in St. Cloud a half-hour early, so you may be able to convince the SCA or conductor to let you off for a bit if the train is early.

Not sure if you are up on this, so I'll mention it. Amtrak does offer discounts, and the H room would be available at roomette price for certain conditions. Check out the Amtrak website for more details to see if this is applicable.

PVD, I already investigated the H room. Hearing impairments are not considered the proper disability for the H room—it has to be a mobility impairment. Thanks all the same.

Zephyr17, thanks. Looks as if there will be more opportunity for the dog's relief on the Empire Builder than on the Capitol Limited.

I've never personally disembarked on the WB Capitol Limited (train 29) as I've always been sleeping (or at least too comfortable to get up) during the stops at PGH, CLE and TOL. Often at Cumberland they will only open up the coaches since they sometimes do a double spot after they change the head end crew (I think this is still the case).

I just wanted to cover all possibilities, I would never discuss a person's disability unless they volunteered it, or if it was something I could clearly see. I did mention contingencies for a hearing impaired situation in an earlier post, but I did not know it was relevant, I was just trying to think of anything possibly helpful. I helped a mobility limited friend take a cruise, they rented a scooter because the distances on the ship were too far for walker trips, and I had my foot run over. But I try anyway. Hopefully you get the discount, even if the H room is off the table. Enjoy your travels.

PVD, no problem! I should have mentioned my deafness in the original post. No secret about that.

In Toledo there isn't any grass on the platform, at all. The closest grass is in front of the station roughly 200 feet away from the tracks.

The Cumberland stop, a short one, seems to count as a "smoking break" for nicotine-deprived passengers. If I recall correctly, they are directed to proceed to one particular car to disembark and re-board the train. I've seen some congestion at that designated stairwell....all the more reason to make arrangements with your attendant in advance.

And this is a bit off-topic, but as someone who's hearing-impaired, I find Amtrak's chaotic boarding procedures maddening. (Especially at Washington's noisy and anarchic Union Station.) Luckily, they're better for sleeping-car passengers, and you sound like a veteran rider; but make sure whoever's shouting, or mumbling, the boarding instructions knows that you merit special assistance.

Best of luck to you and your new dog, and may you enjoy many trips together.

Trollopian, I hear you (so to speak)! In my younger days I could just take cues from watching the behavior of other passengers in the station to get to the train, but in my geezerhood I now make sure the gate guardians know I'm deaf. Even in Chicago, where the sleeper lounge attendants have drill-sergeant reputations, they're careful to make sure I get to the right track. It would be best to get a redcap, and I'm sure I will eventually, but for now I'm too cheap.

TylerP42, I know what you mean about the grass. Service dogs, however, are trained to do their biz on command, and on hard surfaces if necessary. Or so I'm told. We will see.

It strikes me as odd that having a service dog for a legitimate reason would not qualify one for the H room, even if the legitimate reason is hearing loss. Probably the person making the rules has no experience with the situation where the rules are applied.

At Cumberland, I have seen people get off the train at the first spot and get back on a different car during the second spot, then walk through the train. Also, I was allowed to board a sleeper (at the front of the train) during the second spot because I was walking the dog of an H room occupant who was unable to accomplish the task herself. For what it's worth, Amtrak rules (allegedly and at that time, though I don't doubt it) prohibited Amtrak employees from caring for or handling pets in any way.

Trollopian, I hear you (so to speak)! In my younger days I could just take cues from watching the behavior of other passengers in the station to get to the train, but in my geezerhood I now make sure the gate guardians know I'm deaf. Even in Chicago, where the sleeper lounge attendants have drill-sergeant reputations, they're careful to make sure I get to the right track. It would be best to get a redcap, and I'm sure I will eventually, but for now I'm too cheap.

TylerP42, I know what you mean about the grass. Service dogs, however, are trained to do their biz on command, and on hard surfaces if necessary. Or so I'm told. We will see.
There's really no place for it to go unless it does its business on the platform, which I think is bad manners, I mean I understand it's a service dog but you don't just go to the bathroom on the platform.

That's right, TylerP42, *I* don't go to the bathroom on the platform. But I will check with the attendant and the conductors on the nearest suitable place for the dog at Pittsburgh. I'm sure this question crops up quite often. (I have to find out the answer for Chicago Union Station, too.)

People who walk dogs in the big cities don't have grass for their dog to use either. On the handle of the leash of many dogs is usually a dispenser with pick up bags. You pick up after your dog and then throw the poop in the refuse can.

That's right, TylerP42, *I* don't go to the bathroom on the platform. But I will check with the attendant and the conductors on the nearest suitable place for the dog at Pittsburgh. I'm sure this question crops up quite often. (I have to find out the answer for Chicago Union Station, too.)
Honestly there may be a grass patch where you are...

I'm sure the conductor or attendant would much rather have your dog use the bathroom on concrete than in the sleeping car. In the city, people usually just clean up afterwards (with a bag) if the dog goes #2. If he/she is just peeing, I don't see why there would be a problem unless it is in a heavily traveled area. The toledo platform has surely seen plenty of things worse than some dog urine.

I'm sure the conductor or attendant would much rather have your dog use the bathroom on concrete than in the sleeping car. In the city, people usually just clean up afterwards (with a bag) if the dog goes #2. If he/she is just peeing, I don't see why there would be a problem unless it is in a heavily traveled area. The toledo platform has surely seen plenty of things worse than some dog urine.
They usually keep the platform pretty clean, to be honest.

Tyler, his options are to either walk the dog to a grassy area and miss the train when it departs, let the dog "go" on the train itself, or walk the dog over to a rarely-used area of the concrete.

If they keep the platform as clean as you say, it will be hosed down within 24 hours. That, or it will rain/snow first and wash it away (most of it will have evaporated by then anyway, so the rain/hose will clear off any remaining bacteria). The solid waste would be picked up in a doggie bag by Henry, obviously, and disposed of properly.

It is not optimal, but it is the only option, so I don't get why you keep arguing against it.

Tyler, his options are to either walk the dog to a grassy area and miss the train when it departs, let the dog "go" on the train itself, or walk the dog over to a rarely-used area of the concrete.

If they keep the platform as clean as you say, it will be hosed down within 24 hours. That, or it will rain/snow first and wash it away (most of it will have evaporated by then anyway, so the rain/hose will clear off any remaining bacteria). The solid waste would be picked up in a doggie bag by Henry, obviously, and disposed of properly.

It is not optimal, but it is the only option, so I don't get why you keep arguing against it.
I was never arguing. I love how I'm always made out to be the bad person here. I'm offering my information and saying there may be a grass patch, in fact I think there is, because I've railfanned from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back