Chicago Union Station Upgrades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerP42

Conductor
Apparently there's a lot of work being done, and I'm just posting what has been upgraded so far. Currently, the passenger services desk has been opened up and there will be a gift shop (Amtrak stuff!!!) there as well. There is also a service center in the middle of the great hall, apparently the ticket agents will be there and will only accept credit card/checks. The old ticket desk will have 2 agents who can take cash and 4 car rental companies.

Pics:

1448231218010.jpg

1448231255682.jpg

Heh. I saw the ticket counter in the Great Hall and thought, "Whoa... awesome..." before noticing the advertisements on the wall. ;)

Where is the Passenger Services desk?

Heh. I saw the ticket counter in the Great Hall and thought, "Whoa... awesome..." before noticing the advertisements on the wall. ;)

Same place, just they tore the wall out and knocked out another wall to extend the room

Same place, just they tore the wall out and knocked out another wall to extend the room
Oh wow. No wonder I didn't recognize the area. Is that little convenience store still there, on the corner of the hallway, or did that get sacrificed in the expansion?

Oh wow. No wonder I didn't recognize the area. Is that little convenience store still there, on the corner of the hallway, or did that get sacrificed in the expansion?
Still there! It used to be a hallway/mini room for employees I believe.

Hi TylerP42 ! You sound just like me when I was 18 years old to ! I have just two questions for you, will the gift shop be run by "Amtrak" or somebody else? I would like grab some "Amtrak" stuff like Amtrak blankets. Trying to get them on the LSL is kind of hit and miss. Can you keep us informed of the progress of the "Gift Shop" ? Thank you... :)

Hi TylerP42 ! You sound just like me when I was 18 years old to ! I have just two questions for you, will the gift shop be run by "Amtrak" or somebody else? I would like grab some "Amtrak" stuff like Amtrak blankets. Trying to get them on the LSL is kind of hit and miss. Can you keep us informed of the progress of the "Gift Shop" ? Thank you... :)
It is my understanding that it will be an Amtrak store, run by amtrak.

I'm a little sad to see stuff going in there. I always enjoyed the solitude sitting in there

I enjoyed the solitude as well...but at the same time I did not enjoy seeing a valuable piece of real estate being underutilized.

I look forward to seeing the Great Hall as a vibrant, functioning part of the station property. I enjoyed seeing that very thing in Toronto.

This is a little bit odd given that Amtrak was planning to move the ticket desk *again* in conjunction with the relocation of the Metropolitan Lounge, which is apparently funded and will be operating by late 2016.

Maybe part of the area behind the old ticket desk had to be cleared for the construction work or something.

This is a little bit odd given that Amtrak was planning to move the ticket desk *again* in conjunction with the relocation of the Metropolitan Lounge, which is apparently funded and will be operating by late 2016.

Maybe part of the area behind the old ticket desk had to be cleared for the construction work or something.
Not sure. Employee said that was the new area.

It looks on those plans that they could still block off the Great Hall for events if they wanted to. The Amtrak ticket counter is about where the Metro deli was, in the passage before it opens up into the Great Hall. And the Great Hall is marked as "passenger circulation and lobbies" not as a "waiting area" so these plans clearly are not counting using the Great Hall as a waiting room.

It looks on those plans that they could still block off the Great Hall for events if they wanted to. The Amtrak ticket counter is about where the Metro deli was, in the passage before it opens up into the Great Hall. And the Great Hall is marked as "passenger circulation and lobbies" not as a "waiting area" so these plans clearly are not counting using the Great Hall as a waiting room.
It's in the middle of the great hall (the service center)

The service center in the middle of the Great Hall looks like it could be easily taken down/moved for events. It's probably temporary as they need to move the escalators/stairs to where the ticket counter was located.

The service center in the middle of the Great Hall looks like it could be easily taken down/moved for events. It's probably temporary as they need to move the escalators/stairs to where the ticket counter was located.
The former ticket counter will become car rental places.

The former ticket counter will become car rental places.
And the new ticket counter, shown on the doc I posted, is in the hallway into the Great Hall which I'm guessing is currently under construction.

OK, that makes sense: they had to get out of part of the old ticket counter location for construction there, but they don't have the new ticket counter (in the Metro Deli location) finished yet. So the Great Hall kiosk is the temporary location.

The car rental places are getting a temporary location too, because the final plan demolishes the old ticket counter entirely. I wonder where the car rental places will go when they're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back