Large Auto Train Party

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sitzplatz17

Lead Service Attendant
Hi AU Friends,

I wanted to ask all of you for advice/suggestions on how to go about booking a somewhat larger party of people on the Auto Train.

I've travelled the Auto Train quite a few times but just myself or with one other person.

Essentially I live in the DC area and my girlfriend and I are going to be getting married in Florida. Instead of flying down the plan is to stuff two cars and a motorcycle full of friends and luggage and take the train down.

It looks like we'll currently be about 10-12 people. The plan is to indeed splurge on bedrooms for everyone and make our part of the train the party car. :D

I assume the best way to do this would be to call the Amtrak reservation line. Anything I should consider or be aware of?

What are the chances of a group discount? Do y'all think getting 5 bedrooms in a row would be difficult? Ideally we'd want to be at the very end or front of the train so as to not disturb anyone.

I look forward to everyones advice!

-sitzplatz17

You'll have to call Amtrak if you want five bedrooms in a row. The website isn't set up to let you choose bedrooms.

Just explain you're traveling with a group of people and want to be next to each other, preferably near the front or rear. There is a chance they won't be able to book the entire block of bedrooms if one is taken already, but if you call early enough and aren't traveling on a popular day, you might luck out.

I would suggest calling the auto train number 1-877-SKIP-I-95. Much shorter wait time than regular number and since all they handle is auto train, they generally know their info.

If you do manage to pull this off and get all the bedrooms in the same car (party car) please say which train number and car it is - so it can be avoided.

Meh - don't be a party pooper!

Though, really, you should be considerate of others in the train. Perhaps reserving an entire lower level sleeper? There would be 4 roomettes plus a Family (aka party) bedroom as well as an accessible bedroom, each with views on both sides of the train. It'd be the least disruptive to other passengers and would accommodate 12 people. You'd only need to be considerate of the public showers and restrooms being down there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you live in the DC area, I really think your best bet is to go down to the Lorton station and talk it over in person with the ticket agents on site. That's the way I would do it if I were in your shoes. You didn't say when you plan to be married. As you probably know, Auto Train's frequent travelers tend to make their reservations well in advance, so it is important that you make these arrangements as early as possible. If you try to do this on short notice you will limit the ability of Auto Train personnel to set this up in the way that you want.

And by the way, CONGRATULATIONS!

Tom

Thank you to everyone for your great advice!

The separate phone number or driving down to Lorton is a great tip, I've always booked online so it's been straightforward. Talking to a real person may be wise!

The wedding will be in April of 2016 so we'll be headed down a couple days prior. I'll likely post my trip once it's booked on the member trips board.

As per that policy, I will not be sharing room or car info but will consider sharing it with those who contact me directly if you believe you'll be on that train.

Keep in mind that we are not a group in their 20's heading down to spring break. My mother will be one of the people on the train with us so we won't be getting that rowdy!!

I do want to do my best to be respectful to others on the train through, which is why I will try my best to work with the agents to be in a section of the train that is a little more out of the way.

I considered doing the whole downstairs as that could be quite fun, but it's my understanding that the H room is only available to persons without disabilities 2 weeks prior to travel.

Additionally, it's always been my dream to have enough people to connect two of the bedrooms. In my mind we'll try and all hang out in the B/C suite allowing the A and D rooms (which would be ours as well) to be our sound buffer. Additionally I believe the B room is mostly above the utilities, not above a lower level room. But I could be wrong on that?

You're partially right. The A, B-C, and D-E rooms are at the "A" end of the car, which is where the downstairs restrooms are located. But don't forget it's also where the downstairs H room is located. However, you'd probably have to be pretty rowdy to disturb the folks downstairs.

If the wedding is in April, you'd better hurry. The train usually isn't 100% full southbound in April; but even now you may have trouble getting your northbound reservations. It will certainly be worse if you wait.

Easter is March 27 in 2016, so that holiday traffic should not be a factor.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
If you need more folks to fill out the required roster of 20, I will be delighted to volunteer. If you're paying, that is.

If you need more folks to fill out the required roster of 20, I will be delighted to volunteer. If you're paying, that is.
Ha! Don't think the bride to be would be too excited about paying for strangers from an internet forum to join us... especially from much needed wedding funds. :)

Damn, I thought there would be a catch. All the same, congratulations, and have a great time!

I got married on the train, not Amtrak mind you, but on the train. My wife was hired by my partners as the "Train Manager" (Think restaurant GM), and we soon hit it off. My partners "gift" to us was to run a train, at no cost to us. Nice gift. Anyway, what WAS to be a private wedding train, going from Union Bridge, MD to Thurmont, MD and return, turned into "The Wedding Train".

There was so much interest from people who had rode the EnterTRAINment line in the past (as a dinner train, or scenic excursion train) my wife had no objection to opening it up for public sale, after all, it was the last train she would "work".

We added at least two cars, and sold the damn thing out. Here's the funny part, at least a dozen passengers brought wedding gifts! We never, ever, thought about that. We had 2/3 of the train closed off to the wedding party, and actually got married on the open platform of the private car at the end of the train. instead of rice, everyone was given a wooden train whistle to blow.

As the train returned to Union Bridge, the wedding party made a mad dash to the hotel in Northern Baltimore, to the sports bar, where the Michigan-Notre Dame was displayed on the big screen. Talk about a good day!

The chances of me accidentally being on this train are virtually zero, but thanks nonetheless to the OP for doing his due diligence in trying to minimize the inconvenience to others. Would that more travelers would be so considerate. Congratulations and best wishes!

The conductor will maintain order for sure. It's true you can consume alcohol in the privacy of your own room. Hanging out in the hall, moving from room to room and having loud boisterous booze induced conversations will not be tolerated by the crew. Keep in mind you DO have to drive when you get off the train.

It's great for the group to travel by train, but the sleeping cars on a train are no place for a party. IMHO leave the booze in the trunks of your cars and enjoy the camaraderie of a great train ride.

Alcohol is served on the Auto Train in the evening ONLY. It is not served in the morning because, as Steve said, passengers are expected to drive away from the station.

Tom
I have no reason to try to overturn this policy, but it's certainly not the case that EVERY train passenger will immediately get behind the wheel of a car upon arrival. Many will be sitting in the passenger seat of the vehicle.

By this logic, restaurants and bars shouldn't serve alcohol since some of their patrons are expected to drive away from the establishment.

For that matter, you can buy alcohol on other trains shortly before arriving at your station. No one on the other train checks to see if you are driving home or are getting picked up.

True, not every passenger will be driving. But it is conceivable that a court could consider Amtrak liable for providing alcohol to someone who does drive away from the train. It could result in expensive settlements or litigation, not to mention the potential public relations problems. I think Amtrak would rather not deal with this unnecessary and preventable potential problem. If somebody is REALLY DETERMINED to drink in the morning, whether that person is the driver or not, then there is nothing preventing him from imbibing, using other sources. But Amtrak won't provide the sauce.

Tom

IMHO leave the booze in the trunks of your cars and enjoy the camaraderie of a great train ride.
There are people who aren't a disturbance even after having a few drinks. If someone is an adult, they should be smart enough to know what their limit is before they'll cause a disturbance to other passengers. The comments by the OP seem to suggest that they're smart enough to know that limit and do not wish to cause a disturbance. I'll usually have a drink or two in the evening when I'm on the train and I've never "partied" on the train or gotten so much as a talking to from a conductor over being too loud, even in coach.

There's nothing wrong with consuming a drink or two on the train, or more if someone wants, so long as they're not causing a disturbance to other passengers.

I doubt very much that Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn will crash the party.

I'm not addressing the issue of people who drink responsibly. In my experience when you get a group of people who take over a public space, and they have booze, and are celebrating an event such as a wedding they will tend to be loud and noticed by those not in the group.

There is no right to "party" in the sleeping cars. People who pay the highest fares deserve a tranquil, quiet atmosphere that insures privacy. While I can understand that a wedding is a celebration I would think that most of the festivities can take place before you board the train. As long as you respect the rights of the other passengers everything will be fine. If you cause a disturbance at the descretion of the conductor, you can be put off the train a. It's been done before.

All things aside, if you party and keep within acceptable limits of conduct everything will turn out great and the occasion will be a happy one for all. .

The OP sounds reasonable enough that I'm picturing more of a "beer and cards" type of party rather than a raging kegger.

Considering he mentioned they're going to ask to be placed away from other passengers, if possible, I can tell he's already considerate of other people; if they want to keep talking and celebrating after quiet hours, they can go to the Lounge.

We call the route with the most AU Gathering passengers the "party train", so that's how I took the intent of his post - a block of people traveling to a fun event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back