Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Pacific Parlour Car Temporary Withdrawal

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#161 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

Facilities at BEE have been listed on MPRs as to being limited and not available.  Certain car work has been shown to be postponed due to a spot not available at BEE.

#162 FreeskierInVT

FreeskierInVT

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

I suppose I'm lucky, I have a trip planned on the Starlight from Portland to Sacramento on one of the Saturdays in January. Hoping there is in fact a PPC since I booked a sleeper specifically for the car.

Routes taken: Vermonter (38), Ethan Allen Express (9), Northeast Regional (20), Acela Express (4; 2 BC/2 FC), Downeaster (11; 5 w/ Dome Car), Lake Shore Limited- Boston (1), Hiawatha (2), Lake Shore Limited- New York (1), Maple Leaf (1), Adirondack (3; 1 w/ Dome Car), Keystone (3), Pennsylvanian (1), Springfield Shuttle (6), Autumn Express (Nov. 3, 2013)

VIA Rail Canada: Canadian (4), Skeena (2), Ocean (4), Corridor (2) - Canada Youth 150 Pass 2017

Total Amtrak/VIA mileage: 28,812 // 2017: 9,496 // 2016: 2,702 // 2015: 362 // 2014: 7,858 // 2013: 6,154

Upcoming: Cardinal NYP-MAY, MAY-CHI // Empire Builder CHI-SEA // Cascades SEA-PDX // Coast Starlight PDX-SAC // California Zephyr SAC-CHI // Capitol Limited CHI-WAS // Regional PVD-NYP, WAS-WLY // Adirondack NYP-PLB // Vermonter WAB-NYP

#163 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:49 PM

Let’s face it, with all the drinking in the ppc, it is going to have to go through withdrawals.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#164 CAMISSY55

CAMISSY55

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:33 PM

Lets face it, with all the drinking in the ppc, it is going to have to go through withdrawals.

I hear you there. On my trip on the #11 in early October, the PPC on the Saturday night I was aboard was hopping like a neighborhood pub. Lots of fun! And nobody had to worry about "friends driving drunk." 😗😁😁
And it closed earlier!

#165 GiantsFan

GiantsFan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

Whew!! Lucked out on the timing of my upcoming trip. Traveling on the coast starlight in between christmas and new years ... glad Ill still have the PPC! 

Based in NorCal. Routes: Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, San Diegan, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades, Northeast Regional.

#166 GiantsFan

GiantsFan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:42 PM

Well, just boarded train 14 and it looks like they removed the PPC early.... theres an east coast diner/lounge in its place :(

Based in NorCal. Routes: Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, San Diegan, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades, Northeast Regional.

#167 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,461 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:10 AM

It's just as likely (possibly even more probable) that it was bad-ordered.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#168 GiantsFan

GiantsFan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:03 AM

It's just as likely (possibly even more probable) that it was bad-ordered.

The dining car attendant claimed the PPC was gone for the season, but I (and also my car attendant) think youre right.

#169 trainfanmom

trainfanmom

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

Well, just boarded train 14 and it looks like they removed the PPC early.... theres an east coast diner/lounge in its place :(

Hum, I wonder if that means we will have the same replacement on Friday.   We will be OK as long as there is a lounge of some sort in place of the PPC (as I'm assuming these trains are pretty packed right now).   We have been lucky to have the PPC on every trip so far so I wouldn't be surprised if our luck finally ran out, LOL.    I'm just going to be really bummed if we don't have a PPC or a replacement as that roomette shared with my son will get really small, really fast ;)

#170 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

I'm not sure when Amtrak posted this, but I usually check the alerts page fairly often so I believe this was recent: https://www.amtrak.c...ly-removed.html

Pacific Parlour car has been removed from the Coast Starlight for maintenance. This change will be in effect beginning Monday, Jan. 8 through Wednesday, March 14, 2018.

The Pacific Parlour car will remain on Train 14, departing Los Angeles on Thursdays and Fridays and Train 11, departing Seattle on Saturdays and Sundays. The Dining car and Sightseer Lounge car will continue to be available for passengers on all trains.

This work will allow Amtrak’s Mechanical team to perform maintenance on each car to increase its reliability during the peak travel periods. Each car has been evaluated for specific items that need to be addressed to increase the customers’ enjoyment of the cars when they return in March.

Has the PPC only been gone since January 8th, or before that?

Amtrak travel so far: only 10,881 miles: Springfield Shuttle (12), Northeast Regional (27), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~870 miles), Metra, CTA, MTA, MBTA, Metro-North

#171 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

I'm not sure when Amtrak posted this, but I usually check the alerts page fairly often so I believe this was recent: https://www.amtrak.c...ly-removed.html

Has the PPC only been gone since January 8th, or before that?

Radar2.gif

I was just talking about this song in the chat room. I'd keep an eye on the website for updates but in case you missed them, here:

Edited by Thirdrail7, 16 January 2018 - 06:16 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users