Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Pacific Parlour Car Temporary Withdrawal

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#41 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:21 PM

It seems as though, at least with the PPC, they're at least doing the annual inspections and that sort of thing to help keep them running the rest of the year (or lessen the down time the rest of the year.) That, to me, isn't terrible so long as it doesn't dramatically affect revenue.

#42 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,401 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:33 PM

And of course along with a Reduction in the Sleeping Car Fares to compensate for the missing Parlor Car!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#43 aviva_dawn

aviva_dawn

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

Will be on 14 on 12/17. Was so looking forward for my Mom to experience the Pacific Parlour Car for the first time, with me by her side.

Hopefully there will be a PPC on our consist.

Contented Rider of the California Zephyr and Coast Starlight

CS (5), CZ (10), SWC (7).

Last California Rail Pass trip: RNO-SAC-SFC-SBA-SNP-LAX-SAC-RNO (May '14)

Last Big Trip: LAX-SEA (December 2015)

Next Trip: POR-BON (transfer) BBY-NYP (Traveling around on Summer Vacation- Finally Taking the Acela...doing it First Class!) 

#44 aviva_dawn

aviva_dawn

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

I'm on 14(17) and sitting in PDX right now. We have a lounge instead of a PPC, which isn't bad at all...Still missed the actual PPC, and I hope for its return in the Spring.

Contented Rider of the California Zephyr and Coast Starlight

CS (5), CZ (10), SWC (7).

Last California Rail Pass trip: RNO-SAC-SFC-SBA-SNP-LAX-SAC-RNO (May '14)

Last Big Trip: LAX-SEA (December 2015)

Next Trip: POR-BON (transfer) BBY-NYP (Traveling around on Summer Vacation- Finally Taking the Acela...doing it First Class!) 

#45 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:02 AM

I'm on 14(17) and sitting in PDX right now. We have a lounge instead of a PPC, which isn't bad at all...Still missed the actual PPC, and I hope for its return in the Spring.

Some of them have the PPC right now (14(16) did, I arrived in Oregon yesterday with it), and some have the SSL. When they go away after the holidays, there will be no first-class lounge car on the train at all, until the PPCs come back in the spring.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#46 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

Anyone know when in the spring they'll return?

#47 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

If they are replacing windows it may be that getting FRA 223 panes is being delayed due to it being a special order and not stock panes..  

#48 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:31 PM

If they are replacing windows it may be that getting FRA 223 panes is being delayed due to it being a special order and not stock panes..  

Let's actually hope they are investing this much into the PPCs as that means they plan to keep them in fleet for a while; I recall a couple years ago a Fleet Report projected keeping them on through at least 2018. 

#49 ain't no Metroliner

ain't no Metroliner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

Once the PPC is gone for Spring Break, does the mean the whole train will lack wi-fi? Or will there still be wi-fi?

#50 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,638 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

The whole train has never had wifi. It was only available (and barely at that) from the PPC.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#51 ain't no Metroliner

ain't no Metroliner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:41 PM

The whole train has never had wifi. It was only available (and barely at that) from the PPC.

Thanks.

#52 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:40 AM

Thanks.

They even unplug the modem in the PPC at night, and put it away in a cupboard. It continues to operate until the battery runs down, then it goes off. So if you get up in the morning before the attendant does, there won't be any wi-fi.

They can take the modem into an SSL, if one is substituted for a PPC. But if there is no first-class lounge on the train at all, I expect there is no wi-fi at all. It is always possible they could put a modem in the attendant's compartment of a sleeper-car (as they did on the SWC I was just on), but that would only be one car... I expect eventually they will do that on all LD sleeper cars (that's what my SWC attendant told me is the plan), but so far I've only seen it on the Chief. And of course, they operate off cell towers, so anywhere there is no cell service, there is no wi-fi (lots of that kind of terrain on the LD trains).

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#53 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:54 AM

I would hope people can survive if there is no Wifi access :)

#54 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,638 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:04 AM

Nobody saying it is a matter of survival. But it is a matter of 1) convenience, 2) getting the amenities advertised, and 3) saving money on cellular data bills.

Whilst I think that we will all survive, it would suck to be someone that was able to take the time off work to take the train predicated on being able to use the wifi to remain connected to the office and then not have a connection.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#55 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:56 AM

Called Amtrak this AM, and the agent I spoke with told me (after putting me on hold twice) that they (the folks at the Amtrak call center, at least) didn't know when the PPCs would be taken out of service, or when they'd come back.  :( 

#56 ain't no Metroliner

ain't no Metroliner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:08 AM

Called Amtrak this AM, and the agent I spoke with told me (after putting me on hold twice) that they (the folks at the Amtrak call center, at least) didn't know when the PPCs would be taken out of service, or when they'd come back.  :(

The National Timetable says they'll be gone from mid-Jan to mid-March IIRC.

#57 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

The National Timetable says they'll be gone from mid-Jan to mid-March IIRC.

Thanks! I'm looking at the old paper timetable here, which of course doesn't have that info.

#58 yarrow

yarrow

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

i couldn't see where it said the ppc would be gone from mid january to mid march.  at least not in the cs timetable in the national schedule which takes effect next month.  i remember last year that they seemed to be taken off just to save money during the low ridership months as many folks reported the cars were just stored.  do we know for sure about the fra mandated reglazing or is that just a rumor?

amtrak miles-133,508
great northern miles-876
northern pacific miles-28
via rail canada kilometers-8,848

bnsf miles-62

#59 jersey42

jersey42

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:01 PM

Earlier this month both the PPC attendant and my SCA said the cars would be out for 45 days beginning in mid January.

The PPC attendant said the glass was fine in the upper level. The lower level is currently closed because it does not have the FRA compliant glass. He did not believe they had the glass panels needed for the lower level and he strongly doubted the lower level panels would be replaced during the 45 day window. He also added that 45 days was the official word, but it might be longer. He just hoped that the cars would return.

Who knows how much inside information the crew actually had. To me it was just good speculation.

#60 ain't no Metroliner

ain't no Metroliner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:25 PM

i couldn't see where it said the ppc would be gone from mid january to mid march.  at least not in the cs timetable in the national schedule which takes effect next month.  i remember last year that they seemed to be taken off just to save money during the low ridership months as many folks reported the cars were just stored.  do we know for sure about the fra mandated reglazing or is that just a rumor?

It's in the National Timetable that is currently in effect. Page 89. Since it went into effect back on April 6, 2015, I have assumed that the "mid-January though mid-March unavailability" is referring to 2016.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users