Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Pacific Parlour Car Temporary Withdrawal

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#21 Palmland

Palmland

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, Model RR, Exploring the U.S., First class rail travel

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

While I love the PPC, I do believe the Sightseer Lounge could be just as good or even better with its improved visability. All Amtrak needs to do is take the wonderful swivel upholstered seats out of the PPC and put them in a SSL along with improved table seating (please, no plastic seats) and you're good to go. Use the upstairs SSL cafe area for the attendant to serve his wine and other goodies. Food prep can take place downstairs, although I guess its now hauled over from the diner. Not sure that catered first class airline food wouldn't be better and store it downstairs.

#22 Davids

Davids

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

I can confirm that ppc is in service on the train 14 I am on right now. However, there is no meal service and movie due to short staff. My SCA said amtrak is trying to get a ppc attendant in Sacramento hopefully the service is resumed in Sacramento.

Which 14 are you on? Departed LAX today or yesterday?
I am on 14 that departed today. Are you on 14 that departed yesterday?

#23 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

I can confirm that ppc is in service on the train 14 I am on right now. However, there is no meal service and movie due to short staff. My SCA said amtrak is trying to get a ppc attendant in Sacramento hopefully the service is resumed in Sacramento.

I would think you could order from the Diner (where the PPC Meals are now plated) and just haul it across yourself; hell, I'd even be kind enough to clean up my table and haul the trash and reusables back to the Diner :)

#24 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:31 AM

Experience the PPC while you still can, and buy an overpriced drink too, they are quite old and one of these days they will be too expensive to keep in the consist.

I tried to buy some drinks in the PPC but they only stocked two minis of JD at the start of the run. I wasn't surprised since I've run into similar stocking problems on other trains. You'd think Amtrak would stock hundreds of minis per trip since the markup can make plenty of money, but apparently you'd be wrong. It's kind of hard for a car like the PPC to break even if there's so little being stocked and so little effort to sell it. Why isn't Amtrak selling train related mementos and trinkets in the PPC and SSL? Why doesn't the PPC attendant come around and offer drinks and snacks at your seat? Heck why don't all train attendants do that? I don't expect Amtrak to break even but it sure seems like they could counteract more of the overhead with a stronger emphasis on stocking and selling goods that make sense on a train. Instead they keep further degrading the service and my desire to make use of it.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 27 November 2015 - 09:32 AM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#25 Durham57

Durham57

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Quit flying in 2005 (bizarre airport security); now travel by train exclusively.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:31 PM

What is a CCC car?

#26 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

I had to look it up.

http://www.amtrak.co...CONTROLLER.html

Here's a photo someone took of the interior:

AmtrakFTW061908crosscntrydiner-31R.jpg

Edited by BCL, 27 November 2015 - 11:22 PM.

#27 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,136 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:39 PM

What is a CCC car?

Cross Country Cafe.

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#28 jersey42

jersey42

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

Todays 14 has the Pacific Parlor Car.

#29 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

is the theatre opened?
Just a 19 year old with a love for the railroad. 
Studying Broadcast Media.
Trains Taken:
Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot)
20,221 Miles By Rail...

#30 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:33 PM

Todays 14 has the Pacific Parlor Car.

Is there some sort of note on any of the doors or windows?

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#31 jersey42

jersey42

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

According to the PPC attendant, the PPC will be taken out of service in January for maintenance. Not sure what they are planning to do, but the time frame is 45 days.

The theater is closed. According to the PPC attendant and my SCA, it is because the windows do not meet current FRA requirements. i.e., they will not stop a bullet!

#32 ain't no Metroliner

ain't no Metroliner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:54 PM

I was worried about not having the PPC on my theoretical trip in early/mid-February but it sounds like you guys are saying that Amtrak will replace it with a normal lounge car so the sleeping car passengers will still have an exclusive lounge.

#33 yarrow

yarrow

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

I was worried about not having the PPC on my theoretical trip in early/mid-February but it sounds like you guys are saying that Amtrak will replace it with a normal lounge car so the sleeping car passengers will still have an exclusive lounge.

they didn't last winter when they took the ppc off for a couple months

amtrak miles-133,508
great northern miles-876
northern pacific miles-28
via rail canada kilometers-8,848

bnsf miles-62

#34 ain't no Metroliner

ain't no Metroliner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:40 PM

they didn't last winter when they took the ppc off for a couple months

Oh, that's bad news.

#35 jersey42

jersey42

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

Todays 11 has no parlour car, but they substituted an extra sightseer lounge. The attendant said he had the PPC yesterday going northbound, but when he got to the Seattle station this morning, he found out about the substitution. He also confirmed that all of parlour cars will be taken out of service in mid January for maintenance. He also understands it is scheduled for 45 days.

#36 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:30 PM

. He also confirmed that all of parlour cars will be taken out of service in mid January for maintenance. He also understands it is scheduled for 45 days.

It would be nice if in addition to working on the Mechanics of the 5 cars they also freshen up the interiors.

#37 jersey42

jersey42

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

The attendant also said they are not substituting an SSL during the period the parlour car is gone. He already has a (hopefully temporary) position on another train.

#38 ain't no Metroliner

ain't no Metroliner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:52 PM

The attendant also said they are not substituting an SSL during the period the parlour car is gone. He already has a (hopefully temporary) position on another train.

:angry:  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

#39 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

Maybe I'm just being overly cynical, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time, but is it possible that Amtrak is removing these cars periodically because operating budgets are running short and they think it will reduce labor and fuel costs? I don't want to believe this but it's starting to look like the beginning of a trend.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#40 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

Maybe I'm just being overly cynical, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time, but is it possible that Amtrak is removing these cars periodically because operating budgets are running short and they think it will reduce labor and fuel costs? I don't want to believe this but it's starting to look like the beginning of a trend.

The withdrawl of the PPC on the Starlight and the SSL on the Capitol Limited last winter was pretty much expressly for that purpose, particularly the Capitol.  They used a maintenance excuse for the PPC last year, but my understanding is they didn't actually do much.  Actions speak louder than words.

So I don't think you are being overly cynical and I do think you are right that it is a trend.  I don't much like it, but it does make sense in the absolutely lowest season of the year.  If some amenities get withdrawn during Jan-March to save money during the low time, well, so be it, as long as they aren't withdrawn entirely (or randomly).

Edited by zephyr17, 10 December 2015 - 02:00 PM.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users