Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Pacific Parlour Car Temporary Withdrawal

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

A well-informed source has told RailPAC that Pacific Parlour Car service will be missing from the Coast Starlight in the coming weeks because the FRA has some concerns about the glazing.  Apparently one car has already been fixed and Amtrak is awaiting delivery of material for the rest of the fleet.  Unfortunately we cannot offer a schedule of which dates may be affected but we’ll do our best to keep you informed.

As the Parlour cars are cycled through the shops they will be temporarily replaced by Superliner lounge cars.  We are assured there is no intent to end the service.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,402 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

When they pulled the PPCs out of service last winter,supposedly for maintence and "upgrades", they mostly set on a siding and not much or nothing was done to them besides required inspections and maintence.

Hopefully Amtrak will take advantage of this opportunity to actually do some much needed work on these jewels!

As most of us know, substituting a SSL, or even worse a CCC, for a PPC sucks!😕
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

I wonder if they'll even put them back in service. I hope they do... That battery fire was scary, though.
Just a 19 year old with a love for the railroad. 
Studying Broadcast Media.
Trains Taken:
Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot)
20,221 Miles By Rail...

#4 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:23 PM

I wonder if they'll even put them back in service. I hope they do... That battery fire was scary, though.

FWIW...From the last line of the article: "We are assured there is no intent to end the service."

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#5 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Didn't a PPC have a window damaged from a rock-strike a few months ago?

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

#6 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

I was lucky to have one on my CS leg Monday night. I will report back on my return journey (CS on Dec 16-17). I doubt they will be back in service yet, but I will let you know what I get.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#7 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:15 PM

I was on #11 on Wednesday.  The PPC was in the consist.

I enjoyed dinner in the PPC.

It was my third trip this year in the PPC.

I hope Amtrak puts them back in service.

Spirit of St Louis, Broadway Limited, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Pennsylvanian, Keystone, Silver Meteor, Regional, Acela, Capitol Limited, Hoosier State, Texas Eagle, Maple Leaf, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Eurostar, TGV, BR, Orient Express, Netherlands Rail, SCNF, DSB, Deutsche Bahn, KCRC, MRT, MTR, California Zephyr, Carolinian, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln Service, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, BART, CalTrain, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, Dinky, MBTA, Downeaster, UTA Trax, Heartland Flyer, Hiawatha, Illinois Zehpyr,Carl Sandburg, Piedmont, Vermonter, Metro North

#8 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

FWIW...From the last line of the article: "We are assured there is no intent to end the service."

Yeah, but Amtrak can say what it wants and honestly do what it wants.
Just a 19 year old with a love for the railroad. 
Studying Broadcast Media.
Trains Taken:
Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot)
20,221 Miles By Rail...

#9 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, but Amtrak can say what it wants and honestly do what it wants.

Hence the "FWIW" at the beginning of my comment!

John...

#10 JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

I can almost hear the evil snickering behind the podium as they say that... :angry:  Was the spokesman Joe Isuzu? 

It's too bad, have my first CS trip scheduled for March, was hoping they'd limp along at least that long. :(

#11 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

Put me in the minority that prefers a sightseer lounge to the PPC. I like the bigger windows in the sightseer cars, but the PPC was much cleaner after a day than the sightseer lounge (at least on my one trip on #14). 

#12 andersone

andersone

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Riding the Rails, Gardening

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:24 AM

Hope they are back for my CS trip in May,,,, too early to cross my fingers?

The California Zephyr  The Cardinal The Capital Limited  The City of New Orleans

The Empire Builder The Lake Shore Limited   The Texas Eagle 

#13 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:11 PM

Last winter, Amtrak cut down on the Capitol Limited's consist. They said that come summer, they'd restore it back to the typical length. There was much cynicism and predictions that it was the beginning of the end of the CL, and that Amtrak was going to gut it to a CONO-like train, but lo and behold, spring came and the full consist returned as promised.

Go on, raise the flag, I got stars in my eyes...I'm in love with her and I won't apologize.

#14 SP&S

SP&S

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

Hopefully it comes back (as it has several times before) before mid February.  I've a bedroom reserved from LAX-PDX and I was looking forward to spending some time in the PPC.  I've ridden that route with a CCC substituted before (couldn't gripe, it was right after an earthquake and they'd just reopened the tracks and was lucky to have a train at all) and it was OK, just not the Parlour.

Experience the PPC while you still can, and buy an overpriced drink too, they are quite old and one of these days they will be too expensive to keep in the consist.

#15 yarrow

yarrow

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

Experience the PPC while you still can, and buy an overpriced drink too, they are quite old and one of these days they will be too expensive to keep in the consist.

basically the same age as the budd cars via rail operates

amtrak miles-133,508
great northern miles-876
northern pacific miles-28
via rail canada kilometers-8,848

bnsf miles-62

#16 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

basically the same age as the budd cars via rail operates

But I would speculate the Via Budd cars receive vastly superior maintenance work then the PPC's... 

#17 Davids

Davids

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

I can confirm that ppc is in service on the train 14 I am on right now. However, there is no meal service and movie due to short staff. My SCA said amtrak is trying to get a ppc attendant in Sacramento hopefully the service is resumed in Sacramento.

#18 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:45 PM

I can confirm that ppc is in service on the train 14 I am on right now. However, there is no meal service and movie due to short staff. My SCA said amtrak is trying to get a ppc attendant in Sacramento hopefully the service is resumed in Sacramento.

Which 14 are you on? Departed LAX today or yesterday?

#19 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:54 PM

Which 14 are you on? Departed LAX today or yesterday?

Sounds like today's since they haven't gotten to SAC yet.

#20 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

Never mind. 

Edited by BCL, 27 November 2015 - 11:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users