911 Called After Photographer’s Tripod Mistaken for Machine Gun

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"..Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it must creep.."

"For What It's Worth"-Buffalo Springfield

Exactly what the so called religious maniacs want! If we're afraid, they win!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone called the police on me when they saw me near railroad tracks with a portable radio receiver.

Yep. Fear mongering is well entrenched today.

It's little wonder 'eyewitness' accounts are so unreliable.

When I see stories like this i think about the story of the boy who cried wolf to often.

I got visited by the police one night because someone reported I was pointing a 'cannon' at the sky.

My 'cannon' - a 12" Newton type telescope on a Dobson type mount.

_KMH0015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Better safe than sorry.
I disagree.

People shouldn't have to worry about carrying around a tripod, a camera, or any other totally harmless device.

I used to use Baking Soda to brush my teeth with. I bought a pretty high quality baking soda in a large bag at a whole foods or something.. I thought I was so clever to put it in plastic bags when I travel. Somewhere along the way I realized that having a plastic bag of white powder would not look good if / when my luggage was searched. People shouldn't have to worry about things like this in a free country.

It's funny in my town the police when they see me out Railfaning in the snow sit and wait for the train with me. So I can sit in the front seat of the cruiser. And in the summer I Railfan in a tent. And usually they will bring out a bottle of water. I love my city police. But I also think they are used to me. Twenty years in one place

It's funny in my town the police when they see me out Railfaning in the snow sit and wait for the train with me. So I can sit in the front seat of the cruiser. And in the summer I Railfan in a tent. And usually they will bring out a bottle of water. I love my city police. But I also think they are used to me. Twenty years in one place
Consider yourself lucky! But don't get too comfortable, all it takes is one new police officer who doesn't know you, to really ruin your day.

Back