Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Thanksgiving Week Dome/Chicago

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

Dome not on again. MKE Road Foreman confirms it is down in Beech Grove.

#22 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

Yeah, with what appears to be a couple of glum, rainy days, I'm not sure that a trip through the flatlands of Illinois sans dome view will cheer me up all that much. I'm likely taking the voucher, too. Maybe next year!

Thanks for your diligence on this, rtabern.

Edited by NorthShore, 25 November 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#23 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, with what appears to be a couple of glum, rainy days, I'm not sure that a trip through the flatlands of Illinois sans dome view will cheer me up all that much. I'm likely taking the voucher, too. Maybe next year!

Thanks for your diligence on this, rtabern.

True. What a bummer it's not running -- like I said -- we made it a fun tradition the past 3 or 4 years to ride atleast a short segment on the Great Dome every day -- and then bring the crew working on Thanksigivng night some leftovers and set up a mini-buffet for them in the Dome. We were looking forward to a re-peat this year -- including a run down on 303/306 to STL on Friday -- but it's just not meant to be, I guess.

I still don't get why Amtrak keeps the Great Dome such a secret -- except maybe to avoid angry railfans asking for refunds if some hicups comes up and it has to get pulled. It was un-advertised the past few years... and then mysteriously ran for like a week between Chicago and Carbondale in June sans any explanation (we did one R/T on that).

We switched trains around this morning a bit... we're going to do #301 down to STL on Friday morning (business class), stay overnight, and come home the next day (got a cheap sleeper on #422). We are still going to head down to St. Louis, as my wife and I are researching the route for a new book we are writing for our "Outside the Rails" rail route guide series. It should be about 70 pages and sell for around the $15-20 range. We have driven the route three weekends and need to do one last sweep actually riding the route before sending our notes off to the publisher.

We are looking at a Dome ride on the Hoosier State on Sunday morning, too, since we didn't get to ride Ocean View.

Edited by rtabern, 25 November 2015 - 02:01 PM.

#24 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:55 PM

I really wish the IP dome ran through something more scenic or in greater daylight (south) and slightly later hours (north.)

I took a short trip aboard Ocean View a couple of years ago on the altered Friday runs, when it didn't get switched over from the Hiawatha. About a dozen or so passengers showed up at Union Station, expecting to ride it south. When we discovered it wasn't hooked up to 303, a friendly ticket agent figured out where it was, and offered alternative accommodation aboard the runs to Milwaukee. I was only able to go to Glenview, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I was interested in taking the trip to St. Louis last year, but could only confirm the dome was here the week of Thanksgiving, as publicity was so minimal. At which point all seats were high bucket, anyway, and I had another obligation. Expecting the usual, I got out ahead of it this year. Alas..

But I still think a trip to Springfield is in the offing next Spring. And, perhaps, St. Louis when the weather is warmer and it would be pleasant to walk around the mounds of Cahokia.

All the best on the book project! I'm jealous that you've also been able to drive it, as that must have enabled visiting some off beat interesting stuff. A fair amount of the route relatively parallels historic Route 66, doesn't it?

Edited by NorthShore, 25 November 2015 - 03:58 PM.

#25 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

That Iowa pacific dome is awesome. Wish they ran the business class on the Lincoln service.

#26 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

The 10031 is running in Hiawatha service. I expect someone (cough cough) to have a report (possibly including getting into or witnessing a disruption ^_^ )  and hopefully pictures.  The set has it all: Horizons, Amfleets, a Charger, a Cabbage and a dome car.

Sounds photogenic to me! ^_^

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#27 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:02 AM

I really wish the IP dome ran through something more scenic or in greater daylight (south) and slightly later hours (north.)

I took a short trip aboard Ocean View a couple of years ago on the altered Friday runs, when it didn't get switched over from the Hiawatha. About a dozen or so passengers showed up at Union Station, expecting to ride it south. When we discovered it wasn't hooked up to 303, a friendly ticket agent figured out where it was, and offered alternative accommodation aboard the runs to Milwaukee. I was only able to go to Glenview, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I was interested in taking the trip to St. Louis last year, but could only confirm the dome was here the week of Thanksgiving, as publicity was so minimal. At which point all seats were high bucket, anyway, and I had another obligation. Expecting the usual, I got out ahead of it this year. Alas..

But I still think a trip to Springfield is in the offing next Spring. And, perhaps, St. Louis when the weather is warmer and it would be pleasant to walk around the mounds of Cahokia'

Make that "get terribly sunburnt at Cahokia." Pleasant, educational, and too darn hot! Sunscreen, if anyone ever goes. (The site is reasonably accessible by public transit and walking.)

#28 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

Wow, that's a nasty cough there Thirdrail7, I hope you get that looked at.  ;)

I have been busy riding the dome multiple times each day, but did make a quick video to post.

https://youtu.be/pxyqW6rCwi4

The 10031 is running in Hiawatha service. I expect someone (cough cough) to have a report (possibly including getting into or witnessing a disruption ^_^ )  and hopefully pictures.  The set has it all: Horizons, Amfleets, a Charger, a Cabbage and a dome car.

Sounds photogenic to me! ^_^

#29 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:30 AM

Well done!!! What can you tell us about the passengers?  Did they notice?  I assume it was open seating. Were there any exceptions?

As for my cough, it is getting worse!! HA!!!!

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#30 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,406 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for sharing Rob!😎
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#31 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

The set has it all: Horizons, Amfleets, a Charger, a Cabbage and a dome car.

wformVN.jpg

#32 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:24 PM

The set has it all: Horizons, Amfleets, a Charger, a Cabbage and a dome car.

wformVN.jpg

*dead*

This is why we are friends.  :lol:

Amtrak Miles: 43,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#33 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:48 PM

Well done!!! What can you tell us about the passengers?  Did they notice?  I assume it was open seating. Were there any exceptions?

As for my cough, it is getting worse!! HA!!!!

I only noticed two or three people all day riding because of the dome but I'll attribute to the lack of advertisement about it being on. Not sure why that was the case but maybe word will get out sooner next year on what days and trainsets it's on. Apparently I'm the chosen one who gets to be in the know from the Amtrak God's...

Cough. Dang I'm catching what you have here.

Yes open seating and the domes seats were not factored into the total number of revenue seats available. Several Hiawathas did indeed sell out. You could still buy a 10 ride and get on a sold out train.

I guess it's just viewed as an extra car and no big deal by some but wish more word would have gotten out. It's awesome sitting watching the signals on your home Amtrak route.

#34 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

Is she still running out of Chi?  What line(s)/times?

#35 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

It was supposed to be on longer but got pulled a day or two early so the PA could be repaired. It's now deadheading on #7 to be part of the Leavenworth to Seattle WA Christmas Train. You can ride it there the next few weeks. Then presumably back to it's home in LAX.

#36 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

It was supposed to be on longer but got pulled a day or two early so the PA could be repaired. It's now deadheading on #7 to be part of the Leavenworth to Seattle WA Christmas Train. You can ride it there the next few weeks. Then presumably back to it's home in LAX.

Not to make you all jealous, buuuuuuuut.... I will have plenty of time in the dome all to myself this weekend.  I'm working the Snow Train, and dropping off all the passengers in Leavenworth we will continue the 30 minutes or so to Wenatchee for the equipment to be serviced, and it sounds like we sit there for about 3 hours before returning to Leavenworth.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users