Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Thanksgiving Week Dome/Chicago

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:56 AM

Just seeing if anyone has any "inside" information on the movements of Amtrak's Great Dome "Ocean View" #10031 for next week? For the past 4 years now it's been run on the Hiawatha the Mon, Tue, Wed, and Thrs of Thanksgiving Week... then down to St. Louis on Fri & Sat... and back on the Hiawatha on Sunday for one last run.

As usual, my sources at Amtrak have told me thus far, there is nothing indicating this will happen for next week. Got the same response the last 3 years and it's always run.

Any sightings down in the yard in Chicago, etc?

We are hoping to ride it on "Black Friday" down to St. Louis and a couple of rounds on the Hiawatha.

They seemed to stop "promising it" and "promoting it" running after several trips on the Cardinal got cancelled in 2010 and 2011 due to weather and mechanical problems... and more mechanical problems in 2013 that caused it not to run to St. Louis (on that trip, several railfans were riding and apparently demanded their money back -- I was not on that, but heard it through the grapevine that some in Amtrak marketing were pissed with their phone calls and demand for vouchers and trying to get off the train before it left the gate).

Hope it comes back -- riding it TG week has become a tradition for us (see profile picture!)

We will try and catch #329 on the way to work next Monday morning to see... unless someone has some good info for me on here.

Edited by rtabern, 17 November 2015 - 11:58 AM.

#2 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

Which Hiawatha would it be on this Sunday? I'll be in Chicago and can confirm if it's on or notm
Just a 19 year old with a love for the railroad. 
Studying Broadcast Media.
Trains Taken:
Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot)
20,221 Miles By Rail...

#3 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

If it follows previous years' patterns... it is put on starting with Train #329 on the Monday before Thanksgiving (this year, that would be this coming Monday... November 23rd). We are going to try and catch it to verify.

TylerP42: It would run on Train #330 out of Chicago on Sunday, Nov. 29th, but that is the last day of operations for the week, presuming that it runs. If you meant Sunday, November 22nd, you might want to check the yards. We are coming in on #4 that arrives in Chicago on Sunday, November 22nd and will take a look too.  But it wouldn't run until the next day on #329.

Hoping SOMEONE knows SOMEONE at Amtrak who can confirm... unless it truly is a last minute decision, but I don't buy that. Someone has to know out of Chicago Ops. Unfortunately, a lot of friends who would be in the know have left Amtrak in the past few years.

#4 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

I'm meeting another AU member. Would you like to have a mini gathering? Send me a PM. If it's on, maybe we can all go on a run.
Trains Taken:
Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot)
20,221 Miles By Rail...

#5 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:08 AM

When I go to Chicago on Sunday, I know the person who runs the glass house. I'll see what I can find out.
Trains Taken:
20,221 Miles By Rail...

#6 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:41 AM

For those interested...

The where-abouts of the Am-Dome 10031 Ocean View remain a mystery. My internal Amtrak sources who are usually in the know dont seem to have a clue this year. I have heard it will run on the Hiawathas, to its still in Albany, to getting a much needed interior refurb, to the FRA having some issues with glazing and it being pulled. I ride almost every day when the Ocean View is in the Midwest but refrained from posting due to no concrete info this year. The past three years (2012-14) it has run on the Hiawathas the Mon, Tue, Wed, Thrs, and Sun of TG week... with runs to STL on the Fri, Sat using 303 and 306. However... it was not on yestetdays (Mondays) #329 like it normally has been. I caught it on the way to work. The conductor said a seventh car was supposed to be added, but due to the bridge issue on Sunday things got messsd up. He did not know if the extra car would be Ocean View or just an unstaffed cafe car. We are going to catch todays (Tuesday) 329 too here in the next hour on our way into work, but I have my doubts.

Too bad if its not on. We have made a TG tradition of brining dinner to the crews and doing a mini meal for them in the Ocean View.

We even got tickets way out to ride to STL on Friday on 303/306... which is or was the usual consist. We will probably still go, as we are researching that line to narrate on a private car charter in 2016... but still... would have been much better to be on Ocean View.

#7 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:12 AM

I did hear from a third source this morning that #10031 has been taken down to Beech Grove for an interior refurb. I am not 100 percent convinced because I know Amtrak usually commits the car to the charters out of Leavenworth, WA in December and Reno in February. You would think a gutting of the interior would take place between March and September. Maybe they are doing some minor repairs? We rode it in July when it was randomly put on the Chicago to Carbondale teain for a few days and the air conditioning was shot to hell in half of the car.

Sad though... riding it has become a fun TG tradition since 2010. On TG night the last three years we brought the crew on the Hiawatha frain set with the dome some of our leftovers since they couldnt be witg their families.

BTW this mormings 329 had a 7th car... NE Regional cafe car, unstaffed.

#8 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

Glad I found this thread. I, too, am ticketed for a weekend trip to STL, having had the expectation of riding the dome. I may or may not keep to it now. Will look for you if I'm on the train!

I did have suspicions that it would not run this year, however. As I recall in the past, there was some sort of supplemental funding from the state which included the provision of having the dome run in Illinois Thanksgiving week. With the budget crisis, perhaps that money was not made available - thus, no dome.

Saw both trains pass through the north side of Chicago within the last hour. And, as rtabern noted, no dome on either.

Edited by NorthShore, 24 November 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#9 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:51 AM

An alternate fan day trip of Chicago to Holland, MI and back, made possible as a day round trip by the special, supplemental service now becomes all the more intriguing.

#10 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

BCon 303 11/27 has been sold out for months. There's still availability on 301.

#11 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

An alternate fan day trip of Chicago to Holland, MI and back, made possible as a day round trip by the special, supplemental service now becomes all the more intriguing.

Holland is a cute little town. Be sure to repeat that trip in the spring, when the tulips are in bloom.

Amtrak Miles: 43,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#12 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:52 PM

Alas, it's usually an overnight turnaround. Only made possible as a day trip (admittedly with a short layover that doesn't allow time for visiting) due to the special Thanksgiving weekend added service.

#13 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:02 PM

Alas, it's usually an overnight turnaround. Only made possible as a day trip (admittedly with a short layover that doesn't allow time for visiting) due to the special Thanksgiving weekend added service.

Yeah, the 6:00 a.m. departure time from Grand Rapids has prevented me from traveling on the Pere Marquette. I'd have to leave Kalamazoo at 5:00, and thaaaaaaat's never happening.

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#14 hessjm

hessjm

Conductor

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:12 PM

I have to leave my place about 5am to get to the station too! That's what I get for living way out in the country! It's also a reason I'm moving into the city, I'll be about a 10 minute walk to the station then.
Routes Traveled: Pere Marquette, City of New Orleans, California Zephyr, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Hiawatha, Texas Eagle (CHI-LAX), Downeaster, Acela(WAS-NYP), San Joaquin (BFD-MTZ) MO. River Runner.

#15 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

I have to leave my place about 5am to get to the station too! That's what I get for living way out in the country! It's also a reason I'm moving into the city, I'll be about a 10 minute walk to the station then.

And so much closer to amazing restaurants! :)

#16 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:22 PM

If the dome would be on... it would be on #303, not #301 on Friday.

You planning to ride?

#17 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:39 PM

And so much closer to amazing restaurants! :)

And oppressive taxation.

#18 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

We will check on #329 tomorrow (Wed.) morning. If its not on the busiest travel day... its not going to run this week and we will turn in our tickets.

#19 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:38 AM

You planning to ride?

I'm on 21 this year. We usually take 303 to stl on Friday but with bc sold out months in advance we went with 21. I kind of thought that bc sold out from rail fans trying to get a jump on the dome.

#20 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

You planning to ride?

I'm on 21 this year. We usually take 303 to stl on Friday but with bc sold out months in advance we went with 21. I kind of thought that bc sold out from rail fans trying to get a jump on the dome.

Hmmm... I claim the 5th. I can tell you 2 BC seats will probably open up around 8am if the Dome isnt on the Hiawatha this morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users