New "No Diner" Extension + New Points calculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DooBdoo

Train Attendant
Got the email my Silver Star northbound in February has no diner car.

The experiment is extended to 4/30/16.

Probably bring a KFC 20 pc bucket for lunch, dinner and breakfast.

So I asked how this related to points when zones disappeared.

Using the current 15,000 point cost, the very nice

agent said they haven't gotten formal training yet,

but using what she knew the non-diner bucket rate generated

around 13,500 points cost while the Meteor with a diner generated

a 16,300 points cost.

Nothing official, just playing with the newly installed system.

Yep, the shift to points being tied to $$$ means that the "AGR penalty" for taking the Star will be gone at the end of January and people taking that train on points will get the benefit of the reduced fares.

Another reason that they weren't too worried about making a special "no diner" redemption rate for the Star earlier this year.

Without some significant changes in ridership, I would say the "experiment" is about to become permanent. And look out for more "experiments" coming down the line.. viz a viz CONO, CL and other short range trains.. :( :(

And look out for more "experiments" coming down the line.. viz a viz CONO, CL and other short(er) range trains.. :( :(
Sadly, I think you're right. The mindset of the average Joe, who wants to get from Chicago to New Orleans will be "Yeah, I got on at 8 PM and had some crappy food for dinner, but then, it was bedtime. Breakfast was...okay, as was lunch. Not great, but okay. At least when I arrived at 3, I could find a restaurant for some good food. It's New Orleans, after all".

I imagine the thinking on the Northbound ride will be similar: "I can put up with it for a while."

However, I don't think that'll wash with lines like the EB or CZ.

At least, I hope it won't.

The only way that diner service can be saved is if the rail passenger ridership plunges. If it stays the same then Amtrak has no incentive to keep it going. I always believed that part of the rail travel experience was to have a sit down dinner while traveling. If this is elimated we will no longer use the service.

Back