New Flyer to Buy Motor Coach Industries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. I'm a bit surprised that the article didn't mention that MCI had its origins in Winnipeg, too....

New Flyer purchased two other bus manufacturers, North American Bus Industries (NABI) and Orion in 2013, but the outcomes were very different.

New Flyer closed down Orion and in doing so, acquired the company's existing orders and aftermarket parts business.

New Flyer continued to run NABI as a separate brand until the final NABI bus rolled off the production line. Then NABI's Anniston, AL factory was completely retooled to become a third production line for New Flyer's Xcelsior bus.

In the case of MCI, New Flyer's CEO says they plan to operate the companies separately and no layoffs or plant closures are being contemplated. So expect an outcome more like NABI. That being said, I certainly expect there will be plenty of synergies that will help save money between the two companies (especially considering the headquarters for both companies are just across Winnipeg from each other).

I'm curious to see how hands on New Flyer will be with MCI. New Flyer has a great R&D team (IMHO, that's why the Xcelsior is the best transit bus on the road) and I'm also curious to see if the MCI brand will last or if it will change to New Flyer.

New Flyer purchased two other bus manufacturers, North American Bus Industries (NABI) and Orion in 2013, but the outcomes were very different.

New Flyer closed down Orion and in doing so, acquired the company's existing orders and aftermarket parts business.

My reading is that Orion was already slated for a winding down of operations. Then New Flyer bought the assets and parts business along with the remaining orders.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/bus/8509.shtml

My reading is that Orion was already slated for a winding down of operations. Then New Flyer bought the assets and parts business along with the remaining orders.

Correct. Daimler had stopped taking new orders for Orion buses, but there were still outstanding options on several contracts. As I recall, about 200 buses were built by New Flyer for agencies that had purchased them from Orion.

My point was that unlike with NABI, New Flyer had no interest in keeping the Orion production line going or converting the factory to build the Xcelsior.

Correct. Daimler had stopped taking new orders for Orion buses, but there were still outstanding options on several contracts. As I recall, about 200 buses were built by New Flyer for agencies that had purchased them from Orion.

My point was that unlike with NABI, New Flyer had no interest in keeping the Orion production line going or converting the factory to build the Xcelsior.
I'd be surprised if the contract with Daimler would have allowed them to build new buses (outside of existing orders/options), and all they acquired was the plant in NY. Apparently the sale of the existing deliveries was separate from the sale of the parts business.

http://www.fleetsandfuels.com/fuels/hybrids/2013/02/new-flyer-hybrids-for-seattle/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/new-flyer-buys-orion-parts-business-of-daimler-bus/article9208736/

There's likely technology in those buses that Daimler is still using. I recall there was a wind down when they sold off Chrysler. It took a few years where that technology was still being supplied, and where Daimler was still making vehicles to be sold as Dodge vans.

Incidentally, Daimler also owns a 10% stake in MCI.

For the record, I left GTE after the stubborn fools failed to understand economics.

I do like the Xcelsior very much, but you have to admit the LFS is also pretty good. Gilligs and Orions seem inferior.

To be honest... I've never been a fan of the LFS. Granted, I've only ever rode on a handful of them while visiting Disney World, but I find the design to be awkward.

The one thing I couldn't get past is that there is a seat right behind the driver, before the wheel well. There was little legroom and it seems like that seat puts the driver in a compromised position. It would be too easy for someone to harm the driver while sitting there.

To be honest... I've never been a fan of the LFS. Granted, I've only ever rode on a handful of them while visiting Disney World, but I find the design to be awkward.

The one thing I couldn't get past is that there is a seat right behind the driver, before the wheel well. There was little legroom and it seems like that seat puts the driver in a compromised position. It would be too easy for someone to harm the driver while sitting there.
Lynx has some articulated Novas and they do pretty well. I usually sit in the back, where there is a rear window. Next year, we're getting 10 CNG New Flyers, which I'm not really too keen on. It has to do with the fact that the company has had issues with New Flyer in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back