23 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

IN what looks likely to be a rail industry first, Locomore, Germany, launched a crowdfunding campaign on October 29 in a bid to finance a new Stuttgart - Berlin open-access service, which could begin operating in September 2016.

http://www.railjourn...tml?device=auto

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:43 AM

https://www.startnext.com/locomore

Direct link

#3 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

Locomore has reached the minimal funding levels. Now we get to see if they can meet there goals, and launch the service.

Edited by Just-Thinking-51, 03 June 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#4 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:25 AM

A email from Locomore:

Locomore reaches important milestones services will start December 14th, 2016

It is done! We were able to finalise - after long negotiations - two of the most important contracts which enable us to provide our new train service between Stuttgart and Berlin.

With SRI Rail Invest GmbH, we signed jointly a rental contract for eight passenger carriages. These carriages will be fundamentally modernised for our first line between Stuttgart and Berlin. People travelling with
Locomore can now choose between different options. Besides the classic compartment wagons, there will be climatised coaches which also contain a saloon area. In the saloon area new and modern seats offer another seating choice. Our coaches will run at a maximum speed of 200 km/h. All coaches provide tables, power plug sockets and WIFI.

We also finalised an agreement with the Swedish rail company Hector Rail which will be responsible for train operations. We are pleased that Hector Rail will operate with their own, modern Siemens locomotives (BR
182) and run daily operations with their own engine staff.

After we managed to secure 539,000 as our basic financing via crowdfunding from October til May, the final start of our services is now determined. Unfortunately, we can not stick to the original plan to start in September. We will begin offering our services on Wednesday, 14th December 2016, shortly after the regular timetable change. Ticket sales are planned to start at the end of September.

Edited by Just-Thinking-51, 27 September 2016 - 03:28 PM.

#5 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

If your in Berlin Germany this month.

Innotrans is Sept 20-23 2016

On Sept 24-25 the outdoor part is open to general public.

Locomore will have some of there equipment on displayed.

#6 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

http://www.innotrans.com

Link to innotrans english.

#7 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

Oooo, climatised coaches, I love climates!

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#8 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:15 PM

Air conditioning is a very recent invention. Germany into recently has not been a high temperatures area. Has and still have long summer breaks. So air conditioning is a newer features for railcars. Open the windows was the standard cooling. High speed rail cars need the window closed, that meant air conditioning. To have a single coach rebuilt to have air conditioning is a selling point, but not yet a given system wide. It may be a requirement to get people to ride today, but it still a new feature.

#9 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:33 PM

I miss the open window trains. It was like vestibule riding

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#10 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

I remember riding air conditioned trains in Germany/Austria in the mid/late 80's unless I'm very sadly mistaken (at least on express trains, local trains, open windows were the norm).

I spent a chunk of that summer in Austria and then traveled north to Stockholm where the average temperature was a lot milder, yet air conditioning in buildings was far more widespread and even prevalent there.

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#11 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

Local trains the norm was open windows. Now a lot of those trains have been replaced by new Multiple Unit trains with sealed Windows. Taking some of the fun out of it. But you can still find some that have the open windows. The ALEX trains, some regional trains in south Germany mostly. Now if you go to Poland I think you can honestly ride in open doors if I remember correct.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#12 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:58 AM

I remember riding air conditioned trains in Germany/Austria in the mid/late 80's unless I'm very sadly mistaken (at least on express trains, local trains, open windows were the norm).

I spent a chunk of that summer in Austria and then traveled north to Stockholm where the average temperature was a lot milder, yet air conditioning in buildings was far more widespread and even prevalent there.

If I'm not mistaken there have been air conditioned trains in Germany since at least the 1950s,

I'm not sure whether the pre-war Rheingold had air conditioning but definitely the TEE trains of the 1950s did.

Some TEE-era air conditioned cars are still running today.

The former luxury trains such as the TEE were later rebranded as Intecity and Eurocity but retained the same equipment initially, but more equipment was added as services expanded and train lengths grew with formerly first class only trains offering both classes.

by the 1980s the situation was that most inter city trains were mixed. Typically the first class was all air conditioned and the second class was a mix of air conditioned and non air conditioned cars, with the non aircon cars being of older designs (originally built for the D-Zug services but subsumed into inter city service as this cannibalised the formed D-Zug category) and generally being added to meet peak loads. Some of these cars are still running today.

The introduction of ICE trains in the early 1990s meant that you could for the first time get trains that would be consitently air conditioned throughout in both classes.

Air conditioned cars for local trains also started appearing around that time. The first were the bi-level cars. Later some older cars were also rebuilt. Today its a bit of a mix.

#13 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:26 PM

http://www.railjourn...ber-launch.html

Random story about Locomore from IRJ.

#14 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:11 PM

I just saw a photo of a train the UK (Coronation Express iirc) from the late 30's indicating that it was air conditioned, though I have no idea if it actually was what we would call air conditioned. I found the direct translation to be hilarious more than the train actually being air conditioned.

#15 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:56 AM

Well ticket are on sale.

There have a lot of issues (bugs) with there system. Mobile system is not working, you have to use there desk top version. Limited payment options. No US credit or debit cards.

#16 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:36 AM

http://www.railcolor...03&action=dview

Service start on14 December 2016. Link to pictures.

#17 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

Update: Service has started. Some problems.

Limited coaches. They only have 4 coaches available. Another will arrive in the next week. Two more in January.

They have add two rental coaches to the trainset. Free hot drink if your seated in one.

Multi issue with the on-board sales due to communication issues. (Wifi dead spots)

Still having booking issues with there web sites, which is overloading them with e-mail from customer seeking support.

#18 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

And down they go.

Locomotor is now running only 5 days a week. On going need for maintenance there claiming. They will be try to get back up to 7 days a week in April. Seem the Wifi and working bathroom, and lack of spare coachs to do any kind of maintenance is the issue.

#19 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

So they are the European equivalent, say, Wurttemburg-Atlantic, to our Iowa Pacific?

#20 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:17 PM

No, just underfunded, with a GM who had a history of business partners cutting him out.

Iowa Pacific is desperate to find a business model to focus on, and has been in trouble for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users