125 MPH Certification Testing (Passenger Equipment)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fan Railer

OBS Chief
ALP-45DP pair powering a mixed consist of amtrak cars (including Viewliner Is) in Maryland:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205580571295775&set=gm.10153711669848781&type=3
12045320_10205580571295775_7431851478365844537_o.jpg

-Credits to Jim Kleeman‎

And a video from an earlier night test from Greg Grice:

So.....what exactly is this about, anyway? So NJ Transit can run faster on the corridor?

Facebook won't let me see the referenced page, for whatever reason.

Actually, it is a joint test between NJT and Amtrak to get the ALP-45s and Viewliner 1s ready for 125mph. They ran them together to save time, manpower, track space and it also allowed the FRA to kill two birds with one stone. This consist will continue to roam both ends of the corridor for the next week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Preparation for running NJT trains at upto 125 mph. ALP-46s have already completed testing. Next on the list the MLVs.
I believe only the 46As have undergone the testing.

The dual mode locomotives will not be used by Amtrak. They will be used by NJT for various NEC and NJCL service on the NEC.

This will help them on the NEC with the "outer zone" express trains, particularly when they finish the improvements to the racetrack.

If all Viewliner I cars are re-authorized for 125 mph, then speeds for some LD trains on the NEC should increase to 125 as Viewliner II diners replace Heritage diners. All Heritage baggage cars are already gone from eastern trains, right?

That is correct.

Also, the inclusion of the Horizon cars is interesting. I would presume they are getting them certified at 125 at the same time for potential use on the NEC.

Nice bit of forward thinking and cooperation to get a bunch of testing done for Amtrak and NJT at the same time.

That is correct.

Also, the inclusion of the Horizon cars is interesting. I would presume they are getting them certified at 125 at the same time for potential use on the NEC.

Nice bit of forward thinking and cooperation to get a bunch of testing done for Amtrak and NJT at the same time.

The horizons are good for 125mph operation and have been used on NEC trains. They were axle counts cars needed for the test since one Viewliner and one ALP had the trucks cut out (meaning no brakes on that truck) because they had the instrumented wheel set taking measurements. The 54557 didn't even have HEP. They just used it because there are a few PTC test trains roaming around as well. Plus, the ACS test train is floating around as well as a few training trains.

This is off topic, but I have no real place to stick it and it ties into the lack of equipment. If you live along the NEC, be advised the yearly Conrail excursion with the E-8s that crisscrosses NJ is operating this Saturday. It will be on the NEC between PHL and NWK early in in the day. It will then back to the Lehigh Line and plod around such places as Croxton, the old Chemical Coast District, Amboy Secondary, Freehold. The highlight in my opinion is the journey down the old Chemical Coast district to Wood interlocking on NJT's NJCL, where it will operate across the Raritan River Swing Bridge. There are 4 Amfleets tagging along with their usual compliment of cars in the old Pennsylvania railroad varnish.

There are plenty of photo opportunities and pictures on bridges would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise, if live on the north end of the NEC, you can take pictures of the consist above. How often will you see an ALP-45 in Boston?

It would be pretty cool to see an E-8 in the wild. I would drive a ways to see it, but maybe not as far as Pennsylvania. Those were beautiful locomotives.

The horizons are good for 125mph operation and have been used on NEC trains. They were axle counts cars needed for the test since one Viewliner and one ALP had the trucks cut out (meaning no brakes on that truck) because they had the instrumented wheel set taking measurements. The 54557 didn't even have HEP. They just used it because there are a few PTC test trains roaming around as well. Plus, the ACS test train is floating around as well as a few training trains.

This is off topic, but I have no real place to stick it and it ties into the lack of equipment. If you live along the NEC, be advised the yearly Conrail excursion with the E-8s that crisscrosses NJ is operating this Saturday. It will be on the NEC between PHL and NWK early in in the day. It will then back to the Lehigh Line and plod around such places as Croxton, the old Chemical Coast District, Amboy Secondary, Freehold. The highlight in my opinion is the journey down the old Chemical Coast district to Wood interlocking on NJT's NJCL, where it will operate across the Raritan River Swing Bridge. There are 4 Amfleets tagging along with their usual compliment of cars in the old Pennsylvania railroad varnish.

... the inclusion of the Horizon cars is interesting. I would presume they are getting them certified at 125 at the same time for potential use on the NEC.
The horizons are good for 125mph operation and have been used on NEC trains. ...

Good info that sounds like good news. Suggests that rehabbing the Horizon fleet for new service could cost a lot less than I'd figured. Still need a toilet on each car, fewer seats for more legroom, as well as newer technology for lighting and HVAC. But no big costs from under the car. Well, a pipe and a retaining tank for the toilet. Nothing costly from speed improvements that won't be needed.

I'm expecting to see upgraded Horizons on the New Orleans-San Antonio Shuttle after the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited goes daily. And I don't see why the four Superliners in the Heartland Flyer consist wouldn't be moved to the equipment-challenged LD routes and replaced by five or six Horizons. But that still leaves 75 or more cars looking to be used. Some could be back-up on the NEC, going 125 mph. Where else, on the Palmetto. Still would leave a bunch of Horizons looking for work.

I may have derailed off topic. So I'll stop here. LOL.

I am looking forward to certification of the NJT MLVs for 125mph so that as soon as the NJ HSR project is completed they can start operating the NJT outer zone expresses at 125mph on the center tracks and 110on the outer. As I understand it even the outer tracks south/west of Jersey Avenue will be upgraded for 125mph operation. This might actually create some faster NJT schedules on the outer zone expresses at least. All that was part of the NJ HSR plan.

The other great improvement will be the Midline Loop just south/west of Jersey Avenue to remove a lot of conflicting moves at County interlocking making for a much smoother flow of the NEC at that current congestion point.

Of course as for what mess will emerge from the NJ HSR plan which is behind schedule and over budget and will not be able to deliver all the elements required of it by the deadline, and some elements never, unless more money is found, is another matter.

Yes. Preparation for running NJT trains at upto 125 mph. ALP-46s have already completed testing. Next on the list the MLVs.
I believe only the 46As have undergone the testing.
Coming to think of it, I don't recall whether the older ALP-46s are capable of 125mph without some mods. Have you heard anything about them?

Actually, it is a joint test between NJT and Amtrak to get the ALP-45s and Viewliner 1s ready for 125mph. They ran them together to save time, manpower, track space and it also allowed the FRA to kill two birds with one stone. This consist will continue to roam both ends of the corridor for the next week or so.
Awesome. I've been wondering when they'd recertify the Viewliner Is for 125 mph. (We knew they were planning to do so before the Heritage cars went away, and we know the Viewliner Is were supposed to be good for 125 with no mods.)

Thanks for the info.

More time could be saved if the "S" curve near Elizabeth was eliminated. That slower section costs both time and energy for every train. Then the more costly realignment at Frankford would save time.

Not really. Most of the easy pickings of increasing speed at low speed places have already been done. Now the remaining ones are all $500+ million scale projects. Straightening the Elizabeth curves is neither easy nor cheap given how the properties are owned around there. The only plan that exists is to ease the curves a bit. Similarly the Metropark - Metuchen curves are not easy to straighten either, and have relatively low impact on running time since they are already 90 and 100mph

The Elizabeth S curve is actually operated at a significantly lower speed than is safely operable because of limitations of the signaling system. Frankford is actually a 60mph curve AFAIR, so it is really not that horrible. Without spending enormous amounts of money it is not clear how you improve it significantly. Similarly the Zoo curve.

Awesome. I've been wondering when they'd recertify the Viewliner Is for 125 mph. (We knew they were planning to do so before the Heritage cars went away, and we know the Viewliner Is were supposed to be good for 125 with no mods.)

Thanks for the info.
Many of them start shaking and vibrating badly at 90 MPH. Have to reduce speed from 110 MPH. Don't know if it is poor maintanence or the design. Will be interesting to see how they do at 125 MPH.

Back