#21 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:21 PM

"and one could probably make the argument (legally) that the usage of a tripod by a by-stander (railfan) on a platform is not in violation of Amtrak's policies."

No, you couldn't, because as you note in the preceding clause, being a rail fan on the platform without a ticket is a violation of Amtrak's policies.

(well I suppose you could, you can make any argument, but it won't be correct)

The usage of a tripod by a non-ticketed member of the public is not against Amtrak policies. Where you decide to film, regardless of what equipment you use; is restricted. Not the equipment.

So if you were filming with a tripod on a platform; the policy gives you right to use the tripod, it doesn't allow you to film where you are. If they kicked you out for "using a tripod" then they would be going against their policy.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#22 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,398 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

"So if you were filming with a tripod on a platform; the policy gives you right to use the tripod"

No, it doesn't. The policy says you have no right to film there whatsoever.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#23 Peter KG6LSE

Peter KG6LSE

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:automation apps Eng tech

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:59 AM

May I ask why  you NEED one...... Get a cam with a good size sensor and crank the ISO to  1000-2400 and  slap on the front a  good lens .  the  "nifty 50"   F1.8 50 mm Prime is 130 bucks .  that on darn near any age DLSR is a low light match made in heaven.

also  Use light poles and anything else you can brace against. 

You can't bring" legs "but you can find some if you get crafty. 

Edited by Peter KG6LSE, 16 March 2016 - 04:00 AM.

#24 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,940 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

May I ask why  you NEED one...... Get a cam with a good size sensor and crank the ISO to  1000-2400 and  slap on the front a  good lens .  the  "nifty 50"   F1.8 50 mm Prime is 130 bucks .  that on darn near any age DLSR is a low light match made in heaven. also  Use light poles and anything else you can brace against.  You can't bring" legs "but you can find some if you get crafty.

I use a tripod because I like to film video and I want crisp and clear visuals without constant movement. Here's a return question. How many passengers did consumer tripods maim and kill before Amtrak decided they NEEDED to ban them?

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 16 March 2016 - 10:11 AM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#25 Peter KG6LSE

Peter KG6LSE

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:automation apps Eng tech

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

Oh thats easy!.... None.  

However the cost to them is a few unhappy railfans    . the perceived  risk is more then the cost therefor  legs gotta go.

look at ANY industry.

like MS winders 10. a few REALLY mad folks like me  dont want anything to do with the most ulgy  GUI Ive seen  in 20 years. Yet  winders  10 for them is a more stable platform so they push it.

If the folks who wanna film with tripods  could prove they are no threat  on any platform any day of the week at any station then  it's possible to  lobby amtrak to change the tripod policy.

Ill bet 90% of the stations are a super low risk. OTM comes to mind

but stuff like CUS is huge on the whole. so from  management standpoint they just  do the  typical  American thing and kneejerk a blanket ban..... its stupid and it is not how I would have implemented my policy were I * king * of the rails.

Make it up  to the station master . 

#26 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

Here's a return question. How many passengers did consumer tripods maim and kill before Amtrak decided they NEEDED to ban them?

The policy is likely preemptive rather than reactive, and about liability.

It is smart business to have policies that mitigate the possibility of having to spend mega dollars on attorneys because some idiot tripped over a tripod and sustained some real or perceived injury.

You can bet somewhere back in time some commercial entity did in fact get sued, thus setting a precedent.

Other commercial entities then learn from that precedent setting legal action and add a policy prohibiting tripods.

Myself I use a monopod, on the platform and on the train, to make video.

Edited by KmH, 17 March 2016 - 11:01 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#27 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

Here's a return question. How many passengers did consumer tripods maim and kill before Amtrak decided they NEEDED to ban them?

The policy is likely preemptive rather than reactive, and about liability. It is smart business to have policies that mitigate the possibility of having to spend mega dollars on attorneys because some idiot tripped over a tripod and sustained some real or perceived injury. You can bet somewhere back in time some commercial entity did in fact get sued, thus setting a precedent. Other commercial entities then learn from that precedent setting legal action and add a policy prohibiting tripods. Myself I use a monopod, on the platform and on the train, to make video.

I might be willing to take that bet. How much do you want to wager that you can find and produce a successful precedent setting civil judgement against a US based common carrier arising from an event occurring during active regularly scheduled services, either uncontested or upheld upon final appeal, based entirely or primarily on physical harm from a consumer tripod deployed as intended and designed on an active passenger platform?

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 17 March 2016 - 12:23 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#28 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

To save someone getting in trouble, I won't say where... But I know a few train stations that don't really care if you set up a tripod on the platform (or at least, don't say anything to me personally)

Just a 19 year old with a love for the railroad. 

Studying Broadcast Media.
Trains Taken:
Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot)
20,221 Miles By Rail...

#29 fredevad

fredevad

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

I wonder if it also may be an issue with Amtrak or the station owner's insurance policy that doesn't allow tripods.
[This space intentionally left blank... ...until I decide what I want to put here.]

#30 fixj

fixj

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Trains

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:40 AM

KMH reports he uses a MonoPod. Have you had any problems with that? I think it would qualify as a hand held device since you are only resting it on the one leg and still have to hand hold it.Any thoughts on a MonoPod?

Edited by fixj, 01 April 2016 - 10:40 AM.

#31 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:37 PM

I have a monopod (or monopodos, with accent on the antepenultimate syllable) that is primarily a walking stick. I have used it for steadying both a camera and binoculars and I recommend it. A drawback is that it is not quite tall enough, since its main function is as a walking stick. Also, I would not want to leave a camera on the walking stick while I used it as a walking stick because that would subject the camera to jarring, as well as making it top heavy.

Museum guards have told me that I may not use it as a steadying device for a camera, so evidently they did not consider it a hand held device.

It's its, unless you mean it is, in which case it is it's. The contraction has an apostrophe; the possessive does not. If you doubt it, check a dictionary.

#32 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:34 AM

They latest iphones (6S+), have 'image stabilization' feature that improve the hand-held video's to where for the most part, tripods aren't needed...sort of a poor mans Steadicam.... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#33 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:30 AM

Any thoughts on a MonoPod?

Doesn't help enough for a proper video.

They latest iphones (6S+), have 'image stabilization' feature that improve the hand-held video's to where for the most part, tripods aren't needed.

The result still looks odd in my view. I prefer videos where the focus is on the action in front of the camera rather than the movement of the camera itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users