Amtrak.com today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AC4400

Lead Service Attendant
Looks like Amtrak.com can only make one-way/round-trip reservations and check train status today.

No logins, e-vouchers, smartfares, etc.

But the mobile site is running fine.

Even Sunday night there was something weird going on with Amtrak.com. The station name fields would not auto-fill, and the pick-a-date calendar pop-ups would not scroll to future months. That was fixed by Monday morning, then this happened sometime Monday night. Sounds like someone was fiddling with the code, maybe for an "upgrade," and broke it. The call center people are probably going nuts.

Amazing. Someone screwed up big time for the web site to be down that long. My firm builds and maintains web sites for hundreds of companies, and if one of our web sites went down like this our client would fire us. Amtrak needs to get their act together!!!!

Is there any possibility that increased use of Amsnag (to repetitively mine the Amtrak site for fare data) could be the cause?

Agreed, Amtrak.com is hosted with Akamai Technologies; they can handle any load and Amtrak is a drop in the proverbial bucket for their infrastructure. This problem has to be on Amtrak's side before the content gets to Akamai.

Is there any possibility that increased use of Amsnag (to repetitively mine the Amtrak site for fare data) could be the cause?
&

Amtrak.com is hosted with Akamai Technologies; they can handle any load and Amtrak is a drop in the proverbial bucket for their infrastructure.
There is basically no method for legitimate traffic levels to bring amtrak.com down, including every previous Amsnag user scanning at the exact same time. We're talking about one of the world's largest data distributors serving the world's 8,636,120th most popular site. Piece of cake. The only practical methods I can envision for bringing down something as large as Akamai is via a major code glitch, global routing mismatch, zero day hack, or DDOS attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up, I managed to book a one-way ticket for the Wednesday before Thanksgiving through Amtrak.com (full-site), but I cannot cancel any existing reservations full-site/mobile site/app.

Just modified a reservation with an agent but they were unable to send a confirming email?. Agent said they are swamped with calls and sometimes the wait is a long one. No idea when the computer problem will be fixed. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it incredible that Amtrak just doesn't go back to the previous version? If this has crashed because of some catastrophic equipment or software failure they "should" have backups elsewhere in the US to be able to go back on line with. No site of this size is a stand alone--at least I hope that isn't the case.

It's been over 24 hours. I can't imagine the revenue they must be losing. I've seen airline websites go down before, but usually it's corrected in a few hours. This must be a massive failure.

I'm trying to use a voucher along with cash to book a trip and i can't do it.

For eVoucher, as long as you know the voucher number, you may call 1-800-872-7245 to redeem.

It's been over 24 hours. I can't imagine the revenue they must be losing. I've seen airline websites go down before, but usually it's corrected in a few hours. This must be a massive failure.

For eVoucher, as long as you know the voucher number, you may call 1-800-872-7245 to redeem.

Right, I don't know the number, it usually shows up when I log in.

Right, I don't know the number, it usually shows up when I log in.
You may dig out your mail box (search for "amtrak evoucher"). Normally Amtrak.com sends out a confirmation with eVoucher number when you cancel your reservation to a eVoucher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back