Amtrak Thruway Bus, about? ...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HARHBG

Service Attendant
What to expect on an Amtrak Thruway Bus? What are the accomidations like?

Anyone ride Thruway Bus from Spokane, WA to Salt Lake City, UT?

Missoula, Mt. to Williston, ND.? or any of the other long routes in the West?

Most of the long routes in the West (I think all of the long bus rides outside of California) are simply codeshares with a long distance bus company. Many are Greyhound, some are smaller regional bus companies. All of them will offer a coach seat much like on an airplane, perhaps with a little more leg room, and a toilet in the back. Food service is the McDonald's meal break every few hours or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Boise-Spokane is operated by Northwestern, usually a H3-45 or 102EL3. The Missoula-Minneapolis is operated by Jefferson, usually a J4500 or D4505. The Portland-Denver is operated by Greyhound, usually a D4505.

As for seats, Northwestern uses multiple models, but all quite comfortable. Jefferson uses the FAINSA Brasil Standard, which is OK in comfort, and Greyhound uses the Painful Premier in the D4505, which is, obviously, a painful seat. I'm talking seats here, not legroom. Now, the Greyhound is fine if you don't get a D4505. For example, you could get a Denver- or Los Angeles-based X3-45.

Anything else you need to know, feel free to ask, but I will probably geek out on you.

I was looking at the large, full route map of the "Amtrak System", noting the green routes and thought these "Thruway" bus routes were dedicated spec-built Amtrak equipment intended to provide connecting service to those towns where the passenger demand couldn't support regular train service.

Some routes look to mimic or approximate the original train routes that served there smaller cities and towns

I wanted to know if these Thruway Busses approximated the comfort levels of anAmtrak train.
I'm a real "sissy" when it comes to creature comfort as I'm no longer 20 yr. old young and indestuctable traveler, able to camp out on bare ground and bathe in 40 degree river water while hiking the John Muir or Appalachian Trail, and wanted to read what others experiences were. :p :)

Has anyone ever taken Amtrak Thruway between Chicago and Indianapolis? I'd like to know what that's like. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back