Hiawatha Service - seats on 331 boarding at GLN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoB

Service Attendant
I'll be riding 331 from GLN to MKE this Wednesday. Is there a significant risk that I won't get a seat at all? What are my chances of getting a window seat in the quiet car? And if I have a choice, which side should I pick for a better view, or does it not matter?

It honestly depends on how many people board in Chicago. It's not prime - time for work commute, so you may get a good seat.

I've only been on 337 mid afternoon, from CHI to MKE, but it's never been more than half full. You might have to ride 'backwards' as half the seats face each direction. The view east, IMHO, is slightly more interesting.

My notes show 329 as "mostly full", 331 as "50%", and 333 as "25%".

Option 1: Can you leave 2 hours later on 333? Option 2: If you absolutely must have a window seat (as I do), you could take Metra scoot 2112 leaving Glenview at 7:19am and arrive at Chicago Union Station at 7:54am. That should give you enough time to position yourself at the front of the crowd and take your pick of seats when 331 loading starts. That would make you the Amtrak equivalent of airline "gate lice", but hey, window seats are important.

I agree with Grandpa D. Neither side is very interesting, but the east side will give you a brief glimpse of Lake Michigan just before arriving in Milwaukee. It's pretty when it's sunny. Also, the east side will get you a look at Amtrak's Milwaukee Airport station. It's a real gem of Prairie Style architecture.

I'd say there's a good chance you'll get a window seat in some car, and an OK chance you'll get a window seat in the Quiet Car. Other than peak travel times (morning southbound to Chicago, afternoon/evening northbound to Milwaukee, busy weekends/holidays) there is generally plenty of seating available for everyone to have a seat and typically for most to have a pair of seats.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'd prefer a window seat, but I can live without one.

In the end, I'm sharing the Quiet Car with four others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back