First time rider questions(recently retired/looking for adventure)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Train Guy

Train Attendant
Here are a few very elementary questions before I book my first excursion:

1. When riding coach how much carry on items are allowed?

2. Is it safe to leave items (backpack or suitcase) at my coach seat while going elsewhere during the ride?

3. Is drinking water available during the ride or should I bring along?

I'll have more but this is a start. To give perspective, I'm thinking of riding from Denver to the west coast and flying home from there. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are planning on moving your household or are an extremely heavy packer, you should have no problem. You will have lots more space than in a coach airline seat. You can bring a couple of carry-ons with you to your seat and also put a larger bag down below on the lower level. The area right around my coach seat has always been more than enough to accommodate everything I wanted to bring.

Yes, it is save to leave your items near your seat when you are exploring other parts of the train. I usually leave a jacket or some other item of clothing on my seat so people know it is occupied. I keep my carry-ons in the overhead storage area and have never had any problem.

Yes, free water is available in the observation car and in each of the coach cars from a dispenser. Bottled water (never needed in my experience) can be purchased in the cafe car.

You didn't ask, but make sure you have at least one meal in the dining car. Breakfast is the most reasonable, but dinner is also fun. Budget $10 for breakfast and $25 to $30 for a good dinner.

Have fun!

Thank you. Is coach for the 33 hour ride going to be reasonably comfortable? The cost difference with a roomette is a lot but I also don't want to ruin the trip if coach from Denver to San Francisco is going to be like camping on the ground for ever.

To each his own. I couldn't do 33 hrs in coach. If possibly I could sleep at night in a coach seat Id probably wake others by snoring or vice versa:( Denver to SF is one of if not the most scenic rides on Amtrak. Would be better to be more comfortable in a roomette. Quiet at night, a clean restroom and shower along with meals.

The water dispenser didn't work on my roundtrip ABQ~LAX in May. Fortunately I had brought 2 bottles with me, each way.

Many here speak highly of the Amtrak food. I was not impressed. Especially at the prices. But that's just my personal experience.

Some people prefer bottled water, but I've never had a problem with the tap water, which Amtrak fills from city water supplies at terminals and enroute cities: True story: A few years ago, a sanitation problem developed in a city water supply, and went undetected until an Amtrak inspector discovered it during a routine inspection. The city was notified, and the problem was corrected before anybody had a chance to get sick. If a water dispenser does not work, there are others. There is one upstairs and one downstairs in each Superliner coach. In addition, the water in the restrooms comes from the same source, and is also drinkable.

The coach seat is larger and much more comfortable than a coach seat in any bus or airplane I've ever ridden. A bed in a sleeper is obviously much more comfortable, but the coach seat is tolerable.

Amtrak cannot guarantee security for your property, but I have never had a problem with safety of belongings on a train. I guess thieves don't tend to like train travel. I dunno the reason. Obviously, you wouldn't want to invite a thief by making a show and flashing expensive items, then leaving them unattended. Reasonable care has always been sufficient in my experience.

Meals in the dining car are rather expensive, but they would be included in the fare if you travel in the sleeper, rather than the coach. That might affect your decision in determining which to choose. If you've never eaten a meal in a dining car, you really ought to do it --- at least once --- just for the experience, if for no other reason.

Relax and enjoy the trip.

Tom

Some people prefer bottled water, but I've never had a problem with the tap water, which Amtrak fills from city water supplies at terminals and enroute cities: True story: A few years ago, a sanitation problem developed in a city water supply, and went undetected until an Amtrak inspector discovered it during a routine inspection. The city was notified, and the problem was corrected before anybody had a chance to get sick. If a water dispenser does not work, there are others. There is one upstairs and one downstairs in each Superliner coach. In addition, the water in the restrooms comes from the same source, and is also drinkable.

The coach seat is larger and much more comfortable than a coach seat in any bus or airplane I've ever ridden. A bed in a sleeper is obviously much more comfortable, but the coach seat is tolerable.

Amtrak cannot guarantee security for your property, but I have never had a problem with safety of belongings on a train. I guess thieves don't tend to like train travel. I dunno the reason. Obviously, you wouldn't want to invite a thief by making a show and flashing expensive items, then leaving them unattended. Reasonable care has always been sufficient in my experience.

Meals in the dining car are rather expensive, but they would be included in the fare if you travel in the sleeper, rather than the coach. That might affect your decision in determining which to choose. If you've never eaten a meal in a dining car, you really ought to do it --- at least once.

Relax and enjoy the trip.

Tom
Well thieves would have limited places to get off and get away with your stuff.

New baggage rules went into effect a few days ago. I believe we are now limited to 2 carry-ons each weighing a max of 50 lbs.

Personally, I avoid leaving anything of value alone on my seat in coach for longer than it takes to go to the restroom in the same car.

33 hours is a long ride in coach, but people do it all the time. If you aren't tied to a specific date develop some facility using amsnag [google will find it for you] and you will get the best possible price whether you go by coach or sleeper. Understand that prices for the same seat/roomette vary quite a lot over time, so keep trying.

1. I would never drink the water from the tanks in any car. I always carry bottled water. FYI - those water tanks do not get cleaned on trains or planes.

2. Your carry on bags are safe, but common sense would say not leave out a camera, cell phone, etc.

3. 33 hours is a long time in coach. I use melatonin (natural sleep aid also produced in your body) to help me sleep in Coach or on very long plane flights.

4. East a good nutritious breakfast, it is cheaper than Lunch or Dinner. and is better for you whole day.

5. Take good ear phones, noise canceling I find are the best. Let some music relax you as you watch the world pass by.

1. I would never drink the water from the tanks in any car. I always carry bottled water. FYI - those water tanks do not get cleaned on trains or planes.
I, on the other hand, have no qualms about drinking the water from any tap on the train - or airplane. And do you know you know for a fact "..those water tanks do not get cleaned on trains or planes" or are you just speculating?

I drink all the time from the Amtrak "tap water".

I leave stuff on my seat often, but generally try not to do it right before a stop (since it's easier for a thief to grab and get off) and nothing obviously valuable and small. I do leave my laptop long enough to go grab something from the cafe. If I'm going to dinner I'll toss it in a bag or under my jacket.

Generally on a LD your seatmate will be with you most of the journey so it's likely that they'd say something if someone took your laptop. But I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not sure I could do 33 hours in coach (I do ALB-ATL once a year though). But it's doable. People definitely do it.

Most of all, enjoy and expect to be late. It's all about the journey on LD trains, not the destination.

I might suggest the bottled water freaks in this world watch this video "The Story of Water" (sorry I can't post links, it will be on top of a Google search) . I use the water provided by Amtrak and drink from public fountains and make my tea every morning from the tap at work. Mother used to say "Even paranoids have enemies." It is capitalism that drives bottled water not sanitation.

As for your trip, take your time, kick back and relax !!!

The story about the Amtrak inspector discovering a problem with sanitation in a city water supply was not apocryphal. It is fact. Amtrak cars are routinely inspected by sanitarians, although I don't know how often. As an employee, I drank the water routinely for almost 30 years and never got sick. Of course, I did develop a prehensile tail and an extra eye in the middle of my forehead, but those are minor issues. :wacko: Bottled water is overrated, at least in this country. It's not fluoridated, either, so I'm sure the John Birchers (both of them) will love it.

If you decide to ride in coach, be sure to get an inflatable pillow at a camping supply store. When deflated, it folds into a package the size of a deck of cards, so it's easy to pack.

The idea of train travel is to relax and enjoy it.

Tom

Here are a few very elementary questions before I book my first excursion:

1. When riding coach how much carry on items are allowed?

2. Is it safe to leave items (backpack or suitcase) at my coach seat while going elsewhere during the ride?

3. Is drinking water available during the ride or should I bring along?

I'll have more but this is a start. To give perspective, I'm thinking of riding from Denver to the west coast and flying home from there. Thanks.
Hi there,

I hope I can answer some of your questions, as I nearly always travel coach, even over long distances like Texas to Seattle. I am a frugal traveler, with more time than money, as I am also retired. My philosophy is spend less per trip and enjoy more trips! Your mileage may vary, LOL. Also, I am comfortable camping out on my coach seat, especially if the train is not crowded and I can have the double seat to myself to stretch out and sleep at night. It is thus advantageous to travel during non-peak times (fall, winter and early spring).

1. Carry on items are described here:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1251621565003

I usually carry on 3 items on a long distance trip: 1 large handbag (purse) that holds small electronics, credit cards, tickets, money, etc. Being a man, you could substitute a medium sized backpack or computer case for the handbag, and still meet the limits. Also, I take 1 large duffel bag with food, mug with lid for my tea, and also a plug-in hot pot for tea and instant soups like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxi-Matic-32-oz-Electric-Hot-Pot/21608860

The bag also contains toiletries, change of clothes, power strip, dvd player, dvds, small pillow and fleece blanket. These both go upstairs to my seat, with the duffel bag stowed away in the compartment above my seat. The purse stays with me at all times. The third item is a large rolling case that can be stowed downstairs by the entrance. This contains the clothes and other items I will need at my destination. I have never had anyone pilfer my belongings on any train I've taken.

2. I don't leave valuables at my seat when I go to the restroom or other car. No one has ever bothered the other stuff.

3. Drinking water is available on tap on all cars I've ever ridden. It's OK for tea, but has a funky taste for straight drinking. I bring about 2 liters of drinking water with me in the large duffel bag, as onboard bottled water costs $2.25 for a small bottle. That can add up in a hurry.

Traveling coach can have its own set of annoyances. You might get stuck next to a colicky baby who screams all night, or behind a guy who had Atomic Burritos for lunch. My experience has been that if the seat is intolerable for whatever reason, consulting with the car attendant can bring relief. Unless the train is very crowded, you can move to a better seat with his/her approval (and please remember to tip accordingly. Car Attendants do accept tips). Generally, if you go with a positive and easy-going attitude and are flexible in your expectations, you will enjoy your trips much more.

One more thing: the route you have chosen is my second favorite Amtrak route, right behind the Coast Starlight. I rode the California Zephyr from Sacramento to Galesburg several years ago, and I definitely want to experience it again. The scenery is outstanding, not only the Rocky Mountains portion of the trip, but also the High Sierras of Eastern California. Enjoy your trip!

The water from the tanks on the train is clean and safe... the plastic bottled water is allowed to soak in BPA / BPB plastics for days, and is full of dangerous hormone disruptors.

BPA/BPB actually can raise your blood pressure in the near term. My fiancee discovered that if she drank out of a commercial plastic water bottle shortly before a doctor's appointment, she had sky-high blood pressure; she's since stopped drinking plastic-soaked water entirely, and her "blood pressure problems" have mostly gone away. This is real. Plastic-bottled water is bad stuff and I now avoid it whenever possible. (If necessary I'll seek out glass-bottled water.)

If you don't like the taste of the water from the Amtrak tanks (it is filled in random cities and every city has different minerals in their water), bring your own glass water bottle (which I do anyway).

You might consider getting a sleeper berth just part way - say from Denver to Reno.

That part of the trip takes about 25 hours.

Ride in coach from Reno to Emeryville.

In Reno you would have to move from the sleeper car to a coach car. Your Train Attendant - Sleeper Berth might be able to arrange some assistance for the move.

If the sleeper berth has not be reserved between Reno to Emeryville, the Train Attendant - Sleeper Berth may let you ride in the sleeper compartment all the way to Emeryville. If so, you would have to pay for meals in the dining car if you wanted to eat there rather than using the Café in the Sightseer Lounge car or eating food you brought with you.

If the CZ is on time, with a sleeper berth between Denver and Reno you could have 4 meals on your sleeper ticket in the dining car;

• breakfast leaving Denver

• lunch between Granby and Glenwood Springs

• dinner after crossing the CO, UT border

• breakfast again in the morning just before reaching Reno.

Sleeper berth meals include a salad, main course, side dishes, non-alcoholic beverages, and desert. Leaving your server a tip based on the is appropriate.

For example, with breakfast you can have coffee, juice, and milk along with a main dish and a side of bacon or sausage.

Exactly WHERE do you get water on a train? I've been on two long distance round trips and NEVER have I found the water dispensers operating or stocked with cups. I've bought a bottle of water and then tried to refill it in the rest-room.

On Superliner coaches and sleepers, there is a water dispenser at the base of the stairs and at the head of the stairs. If there are no cups, notify the attendant. I have very little recent experience on single level cars, but I think you should find dispensers near the restrooms.

Tom

A roomette is expensive, but they sure are nice. As I got older, I switched from coach to roomette. Especially as the cars started becoming more crowded. On my last coach trip I ended up sleeping on the floor in the cafe car.

The only time I had issues with luggage was in Albuquerque when the police rifled through everyone's baggage. I won't leave the train there anymore, but stay on board to watch my goods.

Amfleet coaches have a small water faucet next to the bathroom. Viewliner roomettes and bedrooms have their own sinks, though it's a bit hard to fill a bottle from those.

Re: bottled water. My daughter has been living in Barcelona for the last three years and she is constantly asked, "why are you Americans so thirsty all the time?" Seems that an American is easily picked out the crowd with his/her bottled water, flip flops, and cargo shorts. As far as coach versus roomette....when I took my daughter out to college in Portland, Oregon in 2008, we rode coach the whole way (43 hours). The first thing I did when we arrived in PDX was to go upgrade my return coach ticket to a roomette. No coach for me ever again...of course I'm 70 with two shot knees. Maybe 40 years ago?

My advice would be to take a short trip on Amtrak before you book your longer trip. For a few $ you can see for yourself the coach layout, seats, and get an idea of your own comfort zones in that environment.

I am 63, tall, and have troube sleeping unless able to be 100% horizontal. I have done many long trips in coach, including 2014, but I often try to sleep on the lounge floor. I liked the "hot pot" advocated above, one up from my travel kettle!

Going cheap and staying longer are my objectives.

There is no "one size fits all" when travelling, as you can see from even the differing choices over drinking water! I buy a gallon bottle of water for longer trips, mostly at $1.

I would love a roomette on every long trip, but my choices are mostly to go coach, or don't go at all, because of money limitations.

However you go, enjoy the adventure!

Ed :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back