Opinions on my future Silver Meteor Trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I'm scheduled to fly to Albuquerque (Oct 22) & begin my Trip ( ABQ-ELP-CHI-WAS-STP). This would put me into WAS, to catch the Meteor, on the 27th! What are my chances that the Meteor will be running????

Too early to say. Today is only Oct. 8. Tomorrow the Silver Star starts running. No word yet whether it will have a combined Star-Meteor consist, and whether or not the schedule will be modified in some way.

jb

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hope that if it becomes evident that the A line (Silver Meteor and Auto-Train route) is going to be out-of-service for weeks rather than days that the Silver Meteor consist would be expanded by a couple of sleepers, diner, and a coach or two to accommodate passengers who were otherwise booked on the Silver Meteor.

As for how soon the A-line reopens, my understanding is that parts of the line around Kingstree, SC are still underwater and that they've not been able to determine the extent of the damage yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is, if they 'combine' Silver Meteor and Star, will they add in the stops that the Meteor would have made, but not the Star? My sister has tickets from Jesup to PHL on Oct 14th...I suppose we could take her to Savannah to board...Why not just run the Meteor over the S line, but on the same schedule as far as Savannah...CJ

From Amtrak's website.

Amtrak Silver Star Service to Resume on Friday Some trains operating between Florida and New York City remain suspendedOct. 8, 2015
3 p.m. ET

Amtrak service on the Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 will resume normal operations on Friday, Oct. 9, after being suspended this week due to severe weather conditions. Service will operate its normal schedule between New York City and Miami, however passengers can anticipate delays.

Service on other Amtrak routes between New York City and Florida will be suspended on Friday, Oct. 9. No alternate transportation will be provided.

Palmetto Trains 89 & 90 (Savannah, Ga. - New York City) is canceled.
Silver Meteor Trains 97 & 98 (New York City - Miami) is canceled.
Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va. - Sanford, Fla.) is canceled.

This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

Follow @Amtrak on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back