Southeast Flooding (October 2015) - Weather related cancellations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveSFL

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Amtrak has an announcement on the web site regarding cancellations for Saturday 10/3 due to potential impacts of the hurricane. Lots of trains cancelled including auto train and silver star.

Its not the hurricane, but the Nor'easter that is causing problems. Joaquin is now forecast to stay out at sea.

Last edited by a moderator:
South Carolina is absorbing over a foot of rain (I saw estimates the other day of up to 16").

Its not the hurricane, but the Nor'easter that is causing problems. Joaquin is now forecast to stay out at sea.
If we're being totally pedantic (which as rail fans I believe we're legally obligated to be or they'll take away your AU membership card), Joaquin is staying out to sea, but his outflow is providing a conduit for some tropical moisture to make its way into the nor'easter, enhancing the amount of rainfall that's about to get dumped.

At least it isn't colder out there:

12068648_952597791479344_3717657539292683711_o.jpg

(image from Brad Panovich, Meteorologist Extraordinaire)

Doesn't it seem strange that all eastern coastal trains on CSX are cancelled except the Silver Meteor? What's the difference?

Doesn't it seem strange that all eastern coastal trains on CSX are cancelled except the Silver Meteor? What's the difference?
It might be a case of timing on when the train is going through. Or it might well be nothing more than voodoo.

There is a different route in the Carolinas where there has been a lot of flooding. I just changed my Star reservation for Sunday to the Meteor.

Well, the question is why the Auto Train or Palmetto would have been cancelled (as I believe was implied) and not the Meteor. The Star is a slightly different item, of course (though in Amtrak's shoes I'd be inclined to run the train to Raleigh and Savannah (north and south ends, respectively) and turn it (which IIRC would keep most of the traffic on that train these days), permitting through pax to transfer to the Palmetto on a space-available basis and maybe running a shuttle b/t somewhere and Raleigh.

Judging by the police scanner I'm listening to right now, there is a lot of flooding in downtown Columbia in the vicinity of the Amtrak station. They're pulling a lot of people out of stranded vehicles.

Some of the cancellations may have been a matter of getting equipment and crew placement right for the resumption of traffic the next day. As for the Meteor, CSX may have said "With the closures and reroutes we're doing, we can get one train through on time, which one do you want?"

I am on 98, Silver Meteor, right now. It is being terminated in Jacksonville today. All passengers on the train that we're going north of JAX were put off in ORL. I'm not sure what they will do. I'm only going as far as Winter Park.

I know Charleston, SC was flooded this weekend, but my friend there said it should be fine by Weds morning when I'm scheduled to pass through on 97. Fingers-crossed. She said Columbia, SC was in worse shape because it's in a valley and it's getting the runoff from the hills around it.

I am on 98, Silver Meteor, right now. It is being terminated in Jacksonville today. All passengers on the train that we're going north of JAX were put off in ORL. I'm not sure what they will do. I'm only going as far as Winter Park.
98(04) terminated JAX. Passengers for points north detrained at ORL for return to origin via 97(03).

Further disruptions:

52(04) cancelled, no alternate transportation.

53(04) cancelled, no alternate transportation.

89(04) terminated at RVR, no alternate transportation.

90(05) cancelled, no alternate transportation.

91(04) cancelled, no alternate transportation.

92(04) cancelled, no alternate transportation.

97(04) will originate in JAX tomorrow with equipment from 98(04).

157(04) terminated WAS. Passengers through RVR to 99(04).

99(04) terminated RVR.

RVR-NFK cancelled, no alternate transportation.

RVR-NPN cancelled, no alternate transportation.

Numerous roads and bridges have been washed out in the Columbia area. I would be surprised if the railways didn't have some damage.

From Amtrak:

Due to weather conditions still impacting railroad operations in the Southeast, Amtrak will suspend some services and make adjustments to others along the East Coast for Monday, Oct. 5.

Palmetto Train 90 (Savannah, Ga. - New York City) is canceled. Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 (New York City - Miami) is suspended between New York City and Jacksonville, Fla.

Northeast Regional 84 between Richmond, Va. and New York City, will originate in Washington, D.C. Northeast Regional 94 between Newport News, Va. and Boston will originate in Richmond, Va.

I may switch to 98 (coach) somewhere in FL if 92 isn't running.

So much for a relaxing trip after my move.

Crap. I'm taking Meteor from Orlando to NYP on the 16th. Hope they can get it resolved by then.
If it rains for the next 11 days, then no. It's not THEM resolving anything. It's the weather. And, if it DOES continue to rain for the next 11 days, then there are going to be a whole lot more problems than just li'l ol' Amtrak.

NOTE: As of 0:37 EDT this morning, Palmetto is cancelled. Silvers only operating between JAX and MIA.

Crap. I'm taking Meteor from Orlando to NYP on the 16th. Hope they can get it resolved by then.
If it rains for the next 11 days, then no. It's not THEM resolving anything. It's the weather. And, if it DOES continue to rain for the next 11 days, then there are going to be a whole lot more problems than just li'l ol' Amtrak.

NOTE: As of 0:37 EDT this morning, Palmetto is cancelled. Silvers only operating between JAX and MIA.
Well if tracks are washed out because of the weather, then there is a "THEY" that will need to resolve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back