Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

'Ride the Ducks' vehicle, charter bus collide in Seattle

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

'Ride the Ducks' vehicle, charter bus collide on Aurora Bridge

Edited by CHamilton, 24 September 2015 - 02:08 PM.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

Sort of a light-hearted title for an event in which two people were killed. 

#3 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

The fatalities were not known when I posted. The title has been changed.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#4 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

Aloha

I have taken that tour. While I have no idea regarding this incident other than some of the article comments regarding the crash itself seem improbable. One in particular was the one about enough speed to spin the Duck 180.  I found everyone involved with Duck Tours to focus on safety. I also disagree with the remark that the vehicles , as ex military are unsafe.

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#5 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

4 Dead, Dozens Injured in Crash on Aurora Bridge

#6 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Early eyewitness accounts indicated that the converted military vehicle appeared to swerve and then overcorrect which resulted in the crash. Apparently there have been several incidents of unsafe operation resulting in pedestrians and motorcyclists being runover by these converted military machines. It would appear that these "duck" devices may be operating on public roads without modern handling, useful bumpers, crumple zones, or decades worth of other safety improvements. Perhaps it's time for Seattle and/or the DOT to reevaluate any grandfathering or special privileges granted for use with these vehicles.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 24 September 2015 - 04:57 PM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#7 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, business, politics, and military history.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

The charter bus is a J4500. Apparently all 4 fatalities were on the J4500.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#8 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,185 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

That thing got peeled open like a tin can!

#9 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

For those wondering what those "Ride the Ducks" vehicles look like, here's a photo from Wikipedia. You can easily imagine how the front

end of that thing might pose a danger to other vehicles. Though of course, there's still an investigation ahead:

Ride_The_Ducks-Seattle.jpg

#10 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

Dozens of exchange students among the injured in fatal bus crash

#11 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,253 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

What an absolutely horrible accident.  My thoughts to the victim's...

Of note in the story, is the fact that some of the bus passenger's were thrown from the bus.   Another case to reinforce the call to use seatbelts on buses.....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#12 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, business, politics, and military history.

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:13 AM

How did the passengers get thrown from the bus? Did they get thrown out the sides?

Considering how the J4500 fiberglass panels are clipped and bonded together, rather than riveted and welded, it's no surprise it took heavy damage. I myself was shocked to see that the passengers didn't open the side windows to escape.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#13 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

Deadly crash of 'Duck' vehicle, tour bus raises safety concerns

#14 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:06 AM

Austin is full of these things and they have been involved in several accidents in the terrible traffic here! Luckily no-one has been killed or seriously injured! (so far)
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#15 rickycourtney

rickycourtney

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

Here's the story I worked on with our investigative team yesterday:
Decade-old advice on Aurora Bridge not heeded

The Aurora bridge has 6 narrow lanes (9-9.5 feet wide, standard is 10-12), with no median, no shoulders and semi-protected sidewalks on either side. There's no margin for error. The Washington State DOT knows this, has studied this and yet has not made any significant changes to the bridge.

#16 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:28 AM

I would just point out that the ones they're using are not converted ex-military vehicles.  There are some of those original ones are still operating now, but I don't believe this particular company uses them.  They build them at a factory near Branson, Missouri.  Before that I believe they had other companies building them for them.

http://www.genesis-c...ernational.aspx

The company operates in Branson, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and at Stone Mountain Park in Atlanta. It also owns a manufacturing plant east of Branson that produces 12 to 15 of the vehicles each year.

http://ridetheducks.com/franchising/

The only organization with close to 40 years experience in Duck development and operations.

Builder of the world’s largest fleet of tourism ready amphibious vehicles.

Building vehicles from the ground up, under United States Coast Guard supervision, since 1997!

http://philadelphia.ridetheducks.com

Yep, Ride The Ducks is an amphibian – this thing really does go from land right into the river. Our Ducks resemble the WWII DUKW in appearance only. The Ride The Ducks vehicle is built, exclusively for us, from the ground-up using the latest in marine safety.

This photo shows the damage, but isn't graphic since the passengers had been removed from the immediate scene.  The amphibious vehicle didn't come out of it unscathed, but it's pretty clear that the tour bus suffered the worst damage to the passenger compartment.  The early reports were that they were going in the same direction, but reports later said they were in opposite directions with the amphibious vehicle swerving after clipping a vehicle.  I heard that the tour bus was filled with international students at a local college.  It seems like most of them were Chinese.

09242015-fire30-780x547.jpg

#17 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:36 AM

12 years since Duck vehicle in fatal crash got state inspection

#18 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

#19 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

I noticed in that article the NTSB rep said that this particular vehicle was made in 1945 but had a more modern drivetrain.  It was my understanding that the organization built new ones from the ground up, but it looks like they do have some vintage ones that have been refitted.  Still - my understanding is that most of these are fabricated at their factory in Missouri.

Some saw red fluid gushing out, and it sound like was probably transmission fluid.

#20 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:18 PM

From what I can tell most or all other significant mishaps with these vehicles have involved them sinking:  In 1999 in Lake Hamilton in Arkansas where 13 died; Off Milwaukee in Lake  Michigan in 2000 where all crew and passengers where rescued; and In the Delaware River in Philly in 2010 where two passengers died.  Surprisingly to me, I couldn't find anything about where they've been involved in any other fatalities on land as, from what I've witnessed here in the other Washington, they seem to have a tendency to bounce around a lot when going down the road.

Edited by The Davy Crockett, 26 September 2015 - 10:19 PM.

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound of the border train.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users