Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Boston Considers Downeaster Link To South Station, East Coast Corridor

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:08 PM

You do know that Pan Am's Worcester Main is a 10 MPH railroad, don't you?  That's the worst of it between Lowell Jct and Worcester, but the rest of it isn't much better.  I don't think Amtrak would dare to put one of their trains on it! ;)

The plan is to run more trains via the Inland Route, since the Shore Line is maxed out.  That will give Worcester lots more access to NYC than it has now, fortunately.

#42 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:08 PM

Maine to New York trains could go via Lowell, Ayer, and Worcester. 

I don't think Maine has the population density to support high frequencies, so it would be better to utilize the few trains that run there to serve both Boston and New York. Besides, Amtrak is only a small part of the North-South Rail Link when compared to MBTA, whereas your proposed routing would probably have to be built just for Amtrak. Lowell would be roundabout, but passengers could easily travel from Maine to Worcester via just one transfer in Downtown Boston if South and North stations are connected.

This would be a cheaper alternative. It would also give Worcester a direct train to NYC.
It would be cheaper, but the cost per passenger would be much higher. The line connecting that used by the Downeaster to Worcester would have to be upgraded, and CSX approval would have to be gained from Worcester to Springfield. Meanwhile, only a select number of Amtrak passengers would benefit. The tunnel through Boston would benefit even more Amtrak passengers as well as a large number of MBTA passengers and would likely even reduce operating costs.
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#43 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:59 PM

You do know that Pan Am's Worcester Main is a 10 MPH railroad, don't you?  That's the worst of it between Lowell Jct and Worcester, but the rest of it isn't much better.  I don't think Amtrak would dare to put one of their trains on it! ;)

The plan is to run more trains via the Inland Route, since the Shore Line is maxed out.  That will give Worcester lots more access to NYC than it has now, fortunately.

That unfortunately would eliminate BOS <> inland route station service.  That is a non starter IMHO

#44 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:02 AM

Looks like the N-S Link is the only way.  I think with good marketing and connection Boston South, there could be many seasonal extra trains especially if Maine had bus companies sell tour connections.

#45 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:54 AM

That unfortunately would eliminate BOS <> inland route station service.  That is a non starter IMHO

I don't think so.  The Lake Shore Limited already runs between Springfield and Boston on CSX and MBTA tracks on the route.  It's just a matter of adding more Inland Route trains in the future, which is part of the MassDOT plan.  The proposed Boston-Montreal train would also use those tracks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users