Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Boston Considers Downeaster Link To South Station, East Coast Corridor

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,207 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

The proposed electrification on that route was not to meet traffic goals but to meet environmental goals. the EIS was approved only with electrification AFAIR.

#22 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,207 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

Harvard study: North South Rail Link would cost less than thought

https://www.bizjourn...would-cost.html

#23 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

Jishnu, we should only post credible schools research.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#24 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

Harvard study: North South Rail Link would cost less than thought

https://www.bizjourn...would-cost.html

Other stories on it.  (Link above hit a pay wall.)

http://news.harvard....ply-study-says/

http://www.lowellsun...link-cost-4b-6b

Well, I like it. But I lived thru the Big Dig a few hundred miles away in NYC. LOL.

Edited by WoodyinNYC, 24 August 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#25 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

N-S Rail Link is an idea which won't go away unless Boston has to be evacuated due to flooding.

I think it'll get built.  It's got too much going for it.  But I think we're going to have to wait a couple more years.

The general disorganization and tolerance of chiseling in the MBTA is finally being fixed; I've got to give Baker credit for that.  Once the Green Line Extension finally gets built, hopefully in 2021, most of the MBTA backlog will be done.  They will also have finished the installation of PTC by then, and the ADA station backlog should be fairly short (Wollaston is under construction; Hynes and Symphony have designs; which leaves Bowdoin, Boylston, and a bunch of surface stations, many of which are being done).  The appetite for a program which reduces carbon emissions, improves operational efficiency, eases commutes, relieves pressure on the subway, benefits Amtrak, etc. will be high at that point.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#26 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cars, Politics

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

That said, unless they electrified the DownEaster route you'd still have to change trains, or at least engines, in Boston.

But that would be much better than the cross-town self-transfer by a long shot.

Don't 448/449 use P42s? So why would the Downeaster need electrics?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#27 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:21 PM

It wouldn't.  But an engine change in Boston would be obligatory, such as it is in DC for trains coming up from south of there.

#28 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:20 PM

Wonder how many railfan BOS <> BON tickets would be sold ?

#29 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

Interesting question.  But I believe that BBY, BOS, and BON would probably be stations where a restriction is in place: no local travel between those stations.  Downeaster does, though, allow travel within the commuter zone on the North Side:  Anderson/Woburn, and Haverhill.

#30 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cars, Politics

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

I don't think many. It would be so much cheaper and easier to just catch the Green Line. Even with the novelty of a BOS to BON Downeaster, I don't think anyone would really find that ride worth it.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#31 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

Instead of spending mega bucks for a 2 track tunnel bores go by Grand crossing.  That route can be revised so a direct connection from BOS to grand by way of a new connection and make grand a sealed corridor to connect to BON. Probably only 20% of cost of tunnel bores.  Do see a problem with the diesel locos as they will either nose in at BOS or BON.

It will be much better to take the  savings and rebuild, upgrade, and expand both Amtrak and MBTA services.  Money could be used for upgrading WOR <> SPG ?  

#32 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,207 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

Instead of spending mega bucks for a 2 track tunnel bores go by Grand crossing.  That route can be revised so a direct connection from BOS to grand by way of a new connection and make grand a sealed corridor to connect to BON. Probably only 20% of cost of tunnel bores.  Do see a problem with the diesel locos as they will either nose in at BOS or BON.

It will be much better to take the  savings and rebuild, upgrade, and expand both Amtrak and MBTA services.  Money could be used for upgrading WOR <> SPG ?  

Could you please rewrite that in simpler English so that somewhat less brilliant common folks like us can actually stand a chance of understanding what you are trying to say please? :P Thanks.

#33 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

OK  First a reversal at BOS is required to go from BOS to BON.  Then equipment has to proceed almost to Beacon Park yard then reverse direction to travel on Grand.  Equipment would pass the MBTA facility on one leg of the wye directly to BON then have to reverse to become a Downeaster.  Or proceed on other leg of wye and then back into BON.

If a direct connection at Beacon Park was built then equipment could much faster travel between stations. If a diesel is attached to NER train at BOS then if train noses into BON using this proposed solution the limitation of no diesel s near station BON is applied.

Grand needs all grade crossings to be eliminated for higher speeds or for any backing move over it becomes operated at restricted speeds.  Understand at present ferry moves take over an hour to traverse this connection at present.

Downeasters usually approach BON with diesels on far end of train.  Then if train could go directly to BOS but have not seen diesels go to stops at BOS ?  Then the extra cars for NERs could be backed onto train by an ACS-64.  

It is a complicated problem. 

#34 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,207 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

You would be able to walk from BOS to BON before the train makes it from BOS to BON :D

How would one go about eliminating grade crossing on the line through Cambridge by MIT?

Edited by jis, 28 February 2018 - 10:42 AM.

#35 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

You would be able to walk from BOS to BON before the train makes it from BOS to BON :D

How would one go about eliminating grade crossing on the line through Cambridge by MIT?

Pretty much true.  It's about a mile.  Obviously, the N-S Rail link is the preferred solution here as opposed to changing directions 3 times.

#36 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Trains, roads, planes, nintendo

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

Maine to New York trains could go via Lowell, Ayer, and Worcester. 

#37 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:13 AM

I don't think Maine has the population density to support high frequencies, so it would be better to utilize the few trains that run there to serve both Boston and New York. Besides, Amtrak is only a small part of the North-South Rail Link when compared to MBTA, whereas your proposed routing would probably have to be built just for Amtrak. Lowell would be roundabout, but passengers could easily travel from Maine to Worcester via just one transfer in Downtown Boston if South and North stations are connected.
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#38 lo2e

lo2e

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

Downeaster does, though, allow travel within the commuter zone on the North Side:  Anderson/Woburn, and Haverhill.

You cannot travel WOB-BON or BON-WOB on the Downeaster, WOB is discharge only southbound and receive only northbound.

You are correct about Haverhill though, you could take either the Downeaster or the purple line to get there.

#39 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for the correction!  Haverhill business is somewhat brisk, I think.  Beats riding on a clunky T train that stops at everyone's back door.

#40 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Trains, roads, planes, nintendo

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:51 PM

I don't think Maine has the population density to support high frequencies, so it would be better to utilize the few trains that run there to serve both Boston and New York. Besides, Amtrak is only a small part of the North-South Rail Link when compared to MBTA, whereas your proposed routing would probably have to be built just for Amtrak. Lowell would be roundabout, but passengers could easily travel from Maine to Worcester via just one transfer in Downtown Boston if South and North stations are connected.

This would be a cheaper alternative. It would also give Worcester a direct train to NYC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users