New Member from Australia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan_s

Service Attendant
G'day all. I am a senior, an Aussie and a trainophile who is spending a significant part of my retirement wandering the world.

I am forced to use planes to cross to Asia, the USA or Europe, but once there I try to use trains when possible. I discovered this forum while researching a trip I am planning next year where I hope to travel on at least two of your great scenic Amtrak rides. I will ask some specific questions about those in the appropriate topics. I have already had a couple of small trips on AMTRAK in 2006, NYP - BUF and 2010, WAS - NYP.

For those interested in trains overseas I'm happy to chat about some of the trains in China, Sri Lanka, Europe, Morocco, Australia and the UK. I have written trip reports about many of them but I'll check with the moderators before posting any links.

Cheers, Alan

Welcome to AU Mate! We have several Aussies that have joined this Forum and shared their travel adventures with us!

We like Aussies because they like Americans! Australia is on alot of Americans Bucket List!

We recently had a thread that Australia was cutting back on LD passenger train service.

I've always wanted to ride the trains in Australia, when I was there in the 60s for a week I only rode on Buses and had a rent car! (Why do ya'll drive on the wrong side of the road? LOL)

I always remember the friendly people, the nice scenery ( I didn't go to the outback as I don't care for deserts) and the amazing animals!

I want to ride the cross continent train to Perth, and see the Salt Water Crocs and Great White Sharks that I've only seen in Movies and on TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim. I grew up travelling on trains in NSW in the '50s and always loved rail travel. I haven't been on the Indian Pacific or the Ghan yet.

Where were you in the '60s? It sounds like we may be the same vintage.

Thanks Jim. I grew up travelling on trains in NSW in the '50s and always loved rail travel. I haven't been on the Indian Pacific or the Ghan yet.

Yep, In an oldie, 71 this year!

I took my R&R trip from Vietnam ( non-combat) to Sydney! I'll always remember the Looooong flites across the Pacific!

( no Non-stops in those days) and the even longer trips aboard ship. ( US Navy)

Look forward to you sharing your adventures with us! Jim

I took my R&R trip from Vietnam ( non-combat) to Sydney! I'll always remember the Looooong flites across the Pacific!

I should chastise you Jim for bad language. We are both the same age and neither of us has grown up. :D

Aloha

I'm 68 and retired; I was in the RAAF for 20 years, including a few months at Keesler AFB, Biloxi in '67 for radar training (I was a radio tech at that time).

I visited the USA again in 2003 with my wife, spending a week driving up the coast from LA to San Francisco, then two weeks from New Orleans to Washington DC through the South. In '06 we were there for less time. I took the AMTRAK from NYP to Buffalo then drove a circuit of Lake Ontario via upstate NY, New England, Quebec and Ontario.

I like to travel. I've included a link to my blog in the sig (I hope that's OK with the moderators) but I'm lazy and it's ten countries behind. For some reason I never wrote reports of the USA and UK visits :(

Alan I tried to follow Aussie RRs as my youngest is working in Sydney. Unfortunately all sites that I found had limitations.
The service is not what it used to be, but that is true of AMTRAK too. Each State has its own system, as well as the tourist interstate trains: Indian Pacific, Overland and Ghan.

Which state or region were you looking at?

Last edited by a moderator:
alan s forgot about this question. Guess most interested of area around Sydney. Daughter works for diversified company right now subject to hostile takeover. Hope to some day get there but live in SE USA.

Back