Has anyone seen 8400?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently did a RT on the LSL and neither trains had 8400. With 3 train sets, if it were in regular service on the LSL, the odd would have been 2 to 1 that I would see it.

I THINK I saw it on the Meteor a few weeks ago. I'm such a bad train spotter. The diner appeared to be a little taller and boxer than the viewliner it was next to

Amtrak, it looks almost exactly like view liner sleepers. I'm not going this Saturday due to my pneumonia, so maybe whenever my trip is rescheduled to I can ride in 8400.

8400 has on occasions been used in service on both #19/#20 and on the Silvers. It has also been deadheaded out of service Hialeah on occasions on one of the Silvers.

One would therefore imagine that at least there will be no need for extended crew familiarization on the VL II Diners, assuming their innards are similar to 8400, once they pass the basic service-worthiness tests, unlike what happened with the baggage cars.

Jim, as one of the lucky ones who has eaten in 8400, what did you think of it?

I am assuming it is nicer than the truly ancient Heritage ones with the door you have to be a weight lifter to open (same door as on the truly ancient NJT trains) and that have seating so tight that it reminds me I should not be having the cheesecake or tiramisu (I did anyway, of course). Those are the ones I usually get, with one of the nicer ones with the green curtains once in a while.

So, tell us: was 8400 worth waiting for? :)

P.S.--I tried to post your quote here, but that feature doesn't seem to be working right now.

I thought 8400 was great! Bright, shiny, clean and roomy! Can't say the food was any better, but the crew seemed happier to be working in it!

And I also thought that it rode alot smoother since it doesn't have a Zillion Miles on it like the war horse Heritage Diners!

Can't wait to see them on all the Viewliner Trains including, ahem, the Cardinal!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had dinner on the 8400 during its' firs incarnation years ago........lucked into it on the westbound Cardinal in about 1992. Getting more Viewliner diners is way past due......... but we already know that!

My guess if 8400 has gone MIA it may have been rolled to the Viewliner Production Plant so folks can look it over as they begin to prepare to tool up the new Diners.

I actually saw it yesterday at WAS. A switcher was pushing it and some PVs around in the yard as I was headed home just before 6.
You must have some really good eyesight to see 8400 in Beech Grove (where it actually is by the way) all the way from WAS... ;-)

Perhaps I mis-saw, it looked like a Viewliner with tables in it. Only got a glimpse as we were headed in opposite directions. I thought it to be a *very* curious place to be switching it around...

Now I'm going to wonder what it was I saw. Anyone know what PVs were in WAS last night?

I actually saw it yesterday at WAS. A switcher was pushing it and some PVs around in the yard as I was headed home just before 6.
You must have some really good eyesight to see 8400 in Beech Grove (where it actually is by the way) all the way from WAS... ;-)
I'll be honest. I'm more likely to believe someone who has well over 10,000 posts then someone who is a first time poster and leaves off with a winking face..... But that's my opinion.

That could well be it...

Steve. I'd believe the new guy in this case, I didn't get a good look as we were moving past each other with only one track between us. It was just there as I ,poked out the window, so it's completely plausible that it was AV (I didn't see the end) or some other car that looks very much like a Viewliner.

I'll be honest. I'm more likely to believe someone who has well over 10,000 posts then someone who is a first time poster and leaves off with a winking face..... But that's my opinion.

Well, then it would be your loss since the car is in Beech Grove. It has been there for quite some time...and it will be there for quite some time. I'm not sure if you'll believe me since I don't have 10,000 posts, but maybe this will help:

:wacko:

See? It is not a winking face. Does that help?

Post counts shouldn't mean anything. Concentrate on the message, especially at a time when people with information are reluctant to post it.

I for one am very grateful when people with knowledge of Amtrak's operations can and choose to share it. Makes discussions considerably more interesting when there are specifics involved.

Back