GregL

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:40 PM

I've always heard people watch trains
from Roosevelt Road.
Is it a safe area? How do you get there from Union Station?
Thanks ahead of time!
Greg

#2 oldtimer

oldtimer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:If it rolls, flies, or floats I can fix it, certified A&P mechanic, builder and crew chief for late model stock car, I ride a 1977 GoldWing and have worked a lot on vintage aircraft.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:01 AM

Hi GregL.

I can tell you that when I was not traveling for Amtrak I was sentenced to be one of the trolls working under the Roosevelt Road Bridge.  It is one and one-quarter miles south of Union station on Canal street. The bridge goes east from Canal and Roosevelt. ( some real old Chicagoans and some that are anti-Democrat will call it 12th street, its former name)  It is a safe area as it is the new Post Office and an increasingly commercial area, you'll walk right past Whole Paycheck Foods and find a Walgreens on the corner. The corner also has one of the oldest greasy spoons in the city, I would give it about 1/10th of a star and that is just because it never closes. Enjoy your visit.

Oldtimer aka Al

PS I'm married to a south central Iowa girl.

#3 GregL

GregL

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

OT, thanks for the reply. I was in Chicago yesterday, went I got some free time, it started raining.

I plan on making that trip again, probably next summer. I will follow your advice.

Our daughter and family live in Des Moines
Greg

#4 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, it's safe. I've been there. Really great for taking pictures.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT, MR. SUB-STANDARD!

#5 jphjaxfl

jphjaxfl

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Rail passenger advocate for modern, reliable passenger trains that will allow for business or leasure travel. I have been riding trains for over 60 years, but I am not advocating going back to what we once had, rather an updated system similar to Europe, Japan, China, India and other nations with great passenger train systems.

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:53 AM

In the days when passenger trains went to multiple stations in Chicago, the Roosevelt Road bridge was great for seeing the various brightly colored passenger locos and cars from a number of Railroads.

#6 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:15 AM

Roosevelt. ( some real old Chicagoans and some that are anti-Democrat will call it 12th street, its former name)  

But, it was named after Teddy, before FDR was even elected.

#7 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

Roosevelt. ( some real old Chicagoans and some that are anti-Democrat will call it 12th street, its former name)  

But, it was named after Teddy, before FDR was even elected.

And who was a Republican...

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users