Sept 26th 30 Capitol Limited Cancelled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Track/bridge work somewhere near PGH. I don't think the train is totally cancelled, but will be annulling at ?PGH? and then busitution to WAS.

Track/bridge work somewhere near PGH. I don't think the train is totally cancelled, but will be annulling at ?PGH? and then busitution to WAS.
Too bad they don't run the Capitol to and from Philly on those days....would be neat to see that. :)

Too bad they don't run the Capitol to and from Philly on those days....would be neat to see that. :)
Drooping live catenary wires touching the roof of one of the Superliners between HAR and PHL. Would be interesting to see, but not a sight we really want to see. I think the clearance is technically there for the Superliners to get to the far eastern end of the Keystone corridor, but it would be a tight fit and too risky. So the CL will turnaround in Pittsburgh.

Don't they run double stack or auto racks on that route? Not sure,,,,but if so, they are considerably taller than Superliner's...

And doesn't the Cap run under wires for a short distance in and out of WAS?

Anyone have any idea why the 30 Capitol Limited is cancelled?

Here is the thread which states the reason: #29 & 30 C.L. canceled on Labor day weekend??

Don't they run double stack or auto racks on that route? Not sure,,,,but if so, they are considerably taller than Superliner's...

And doesn't the Cap run under wires for a short distance in and out of WAS?
The Cap is under the wires in WTC.

Drooping live catenary wires touching the roof of one of the Superliners between HAR and PHL. Would be interesting to see, but not a sight we really want to see. I think the clearance is technically there for the Superliners to get to the far eastern end of the Keystone corridor, but it would be a tight fit and too risky. So the CL will turnaround in Pittsburgh.
The clearance is available on the Keystone Corridor. It is 30th Street Station that lacks the clearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then....so much for that idea........but wait! They could still run it to Harrisburg.... :)

Or maybe run a Viewliner consist for one round trip, if they could scrape together the equipment....maybe even run it down the 'Port Road' to Washington..... :cool:

Well then....so much for that idea........but wait! They could still run it to Harrisburg.... :)

Or maybe run a Viewliner consist for one round trip, if they could scrape together the equipment....maybe even run it down the 'Port Road' to Washington..... :cool:
It has been done before :ph34r:

I know....I recall when the Washington section of Amtrak's Broadway Limited ran that way..... :)

I know....I recall when the Washington section of Amtrak's Broadway Limited ran that way..... :)
That move predates the Superliners? The reason I ask is I thought the Port Road was still electrified when this train operated.

That move predates the Superliners? The reason I ask is I thought the Port Road was still electrified when this train operated.
Yes it was. That section ran electric to HAR from WAS.

I noticed it was cancelled because it's not going through Toledo. I was thinking of taking a train to Cleveland and I couldnt that date.

Yes it was. That section ran electric to HAR from WAS.
Prior to Amtrak, Penn Central's Chicago to Washington trains ran over the now partially abandoned Northern Central branch from Harrisburg thru York to Baltimore....when Amtrak started running over the Port Road, it was a rare instance of a formerly long-time freight only route gaining passenger service....

I noticed it was cancelled because it's not going through Toledo. I was thinking of taking a train to Cleveland and I couldnt that date.
If it is still operating from Chicago to Pittsburgh, how is it not going through Toledo? Surely not over the ex B&O route?

Single-level equipment though, no?
Of course. There were no Superliners then, and there was no Capitol Limited then either.

Amtrak's Broadway Limited Washington section used a few different routings. One was Baltimore, Perryville, Harrisburg, where it joined the New York section. The second was Baltimore Philly 30th St. Harrisburg, where it joined the New York section which bypassed Philly 30th St. making its Philly area stop at North Philadelphia, and third, Baltimore Philadelphia 30the St, where it joined th New York section, and proceeded then through Harrisburg as the joint train.

The National Limited Washington section also went through some of these gyrations, but I am not sure if it ever went via Perryville - Harrisburg. Gotta check the Time Table Library, but don't have the time right now.

Looks like a "special" train, 930, is running instead, leaving at 10 pm, from CHI to WAS. And only sleepers are available.

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back