Seats on Pennsylvanian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I will have a short trip the Sunday before Christmas, traveling from Lewistown, PA to Philadelphia. I have the option of "reserved coach seats" or "business class seats". The price difference is about $40 in total. Should we spring for the business class? Thanks!

Normally, I would say "no," because the Pennsylvanian has several of the Amfleet II cars, which are just as comfortable as (and, oddly enough, sometimes less crowded than) business class.

However, with the date so close to Christmas, it might be wise to go business class to make sure you do have seats if the train is crowded.

Others who do this route more often may have better advice, though.

No combo cars, at least not any time I have ridden it. The only plus I could see was that it was the last car, so you got to look out the railfan window. But I saw the Pennsylvanian the other day, and business class was in the front, so that's not a guarantee.

Of course, if you go business class, you can wander back to the last coach and look out the railfan window and nobody will complain.

The Pennsylvanian shares consist with the Palmetto, and both have full Capstone (Amfleet I ex-Metroliner) BC car, and not the ex-MetroClub half BC half cafe car for BC. It is the latter that has the more comfy seats and 2-1 seating. Pennsy and Palmetto have 2x2 seating with extra legroom in BC which is actually not much better than the Amfleet II LD Coaches that are available to Coach passengers. However you will have Wi-Fi in BC, and may or may not in Amfleet II Coaches.

The WiFi isn't much to write home to. My cell phone got more consistent coverage than the onboard WiFi.

I'd save my $40 and spend it in the cafe'.

I will disagree with my esteemed friends above on one point: I suggest not wasting any money in the café car. It's the same stuff as on the Northeast Regional, and with the quality of food in Western PA, you will be disappointed (I had the best donut ever in Harrisburg, but that's another story).

Bring a snack/light lunch from home and eat an early dinner either in 30th Street or in Philly itself. The food on either end is bound to be better than the train food.

Normally, I would say "no," because the Pennsylvanian has several of the Amfleet II cars, which are just as comfortable as (and, oddly enough, sometimes less crowded than) business class.

However, with the date so close to Christmas, it might be wise to go business class to make sure you do have seats if the train is crowded.
But I I go with the 'reserved coach seats', wouldn't I be assured of seats even if the train is crowded?

No, unfortunately, that phrasing is very unclear. Technically, there should be enough seats to go around. However, in coach, you have to deal with people with stuff on the seat next to them, or people with their feet up on the seats pretending to be asleep or staring into their phones so they can pretend not to see you.

However, much of this observation is based on the Northeast Regional between Philadelphia and New York, which seems to have some of the rudest people in the country riding it. The Pennsylvanian may not be as bad, and the conductor may be helpful if you can't find seats. Plus, many people will probably get off at Harrisburg, so you can switch to better seats (or seats together) there, before the new Harrisburg crowd gets on.

I suspect that monthly holders are also allowed on the Pennsy in Coach. If that is the case then theoretically there could be a situation where really there are not enough seats for everyone in Coach. This cannot happen in BC.

Jis:

The OP stated that the trip will occur in December. The consist may be altered by then and may not cycle to the Palmetto.

We'll probably know more in a few weeks.

I once boarded this train in Huntington at the end of the school yard at Juniata College. (My daughter had so much stuff to take home, there was only room in the car for 2, so her mom and she drove home while I took the train.)

The train was so full there were no Amfleet II seats left so i had a seatmate in an Amfleet I. Had I known I. Might have sprung for bc. I've always done that when I ride the Palmetto which has a similar consist.

That's a normal persons right, right? LOL

And don't fall asleep and miss Horseshoe Curve, its been known to happen with the crummy calling time in PGH for #30 and the wait in the Dungeon!

Last edited by a moderator:

And don't fall asleep and miss Horseshoe Curve, its been known to happen with the crummy calling time in PGH for #30 and the wait in the Dungeon!
Calling Time ???? ( You mean the SCA for the PGH stop?)

Calling Time ???? ( You mean the SCA for the PGH stop?)
Nope, youll wake up for PGH, I was referring to falling asleep on the Pennsy and missing the Curve!

You won't reach the Curve unless the train is going backwards.

The Curve is west of Lewistown; you'll be traveling east. From Lewistown to Harrisburg, I think the best views are on the left because that's where the Juniata River is. East of Harrisburg, I'm not sure that there is a best side.

That is, unless Jim has managed to move both the Curve and the River. In which case, pretend I never said a thing.

Tom (the one who's not disoriented)

The Curve is west of Lewistown; you'll be traveling east. From Lewistown to Harrisburg, I think the best views are on the left because that's where the Juniata River is. East of Harrisburg, I'm not sure that there is a best side.

That is, unless Jim has managed to move both the Curve and the River. In which case, pretend I never said a thing.

Are you saying the curve is not between PGH & PHL?

Are you saying the curve is not between PGH & PHL?
The curve is between them. In/near Altoona.

Hate to disagree with my friend Tom, but the Altoona Curve is between Johnstown and Tyrone, PA , close to Altoona, hence the name!

RRF's getting on in PGH and riding to PHL, so he WILL go through the Curve heading East around 1000am if the Train is on time??

Maybe you rode the AutoTrain too long Tom, and got disoriented going to Florida and back so many times!

Been breathing too many cactus fumes, Jim?

In order, West to East:

Pittsburgh

Johnstown

THE HORSESHOE CURVE (I was there last week)

Altoona " " " " "

Tyrone

Huntingdon

Lewistown (where our friends are boarding)

Rockville Bridge (Spectacular!)

Harrisburg

Philadelphia (destination)

That's the way it is unless there's been a BIG earthquake that I hadn't heard about. You never know.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back