Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Is a coast to coast train feasible?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:29 AM

Can Superliners be used on the LSL? If not, you would have to change the corresponding western train to Viewliner. Hopefully the new Viewliners can change all differences in LD trains.

Superliner cannot be used on the LSL, at least not east/south of ALB. And cannot serve high level platforms at SYR and ALB (and coming at ROC). So really not the best idea east of BUF.

What do you mean about Viewliners changing differences?

Interesting, I always thought Superliners could theoretically be used at least to Albany-Rensselaer. So the platforms are elevated at Albany, Syracuse, and Rochester, but not Buffalo? I got the impression there weren't any issues that'd prevent Superliners to be used east to Albany, but what do I know?

And is Capitol Limited the only Superliner train, in the eastern half of the country past Chicago? I know the Michigan trains occasionally use Superliner cars during winter months, for whatever reason. Wish I could remember why that was.

I am assuming this New York to Los Angeles never even left the planning stage, does anyone have any more details? New York to Los Angeles in 60 hours?

http://www.washingto...022800-idx.html

Speaking of this article, I found this within that linked article:

"The other is to run sections of two New York-to-Florida trains down the Florida East Coast Railway through St. Augustine, Daytona Beach and Melbourne.

The Florida East Coast route was the prime route to Miami until the railroad owned by legendary Florida entrepreneur Ed Ball cut the size of train crews and unions went on strike Jan. 23, 1963. Someone began blowing up track under management-operated trains in 1964. President Lyndon B. Johnson called in the FBI after flying over two sabotaged trains on his way to a speech in Miami Beach, effectively breaking the strike. During the strike passenger trains were rerouted through central Florida and never returned to the coastal route."

Wow, so this really is the reason why both Silver trains run through lightly populated areas like Okeechobee, Sebring, and Winter Haven, instead of coastal areas north of Palm Beach/West Palm Beach like Melbourne and Fort Pierce? Granted the central FL route does allow Amtrak to serve Orlando(2 trains) and Tampa(1 train), so I can see why Amtrak might prefer that.

Edited by dogbert617, 17 July 2017 - 12:47 AM.

#102 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:43 AM

Can Superliners be used on the LSL? If not, you would have to change the corresponding western train to Viewliner. Hopefully the new Viewliners can change all differences in LD trains.

Superliner cannot be used on the LSL, at least not east/south of ALB. And cannot serve high level platforms at SYR and ALB (and coming at ROC). So really not the best idea east of BUF.

Interesting, I always thought Superliners could theoretically be used at least to Albany-Rensselaer. So the platforms are elevated at Albany, Syracuse, and Rochester, but not Buffalo? I got the impression there weren't any issues that'd prevent Superliners to be used east to Albany, but what do I know?

And is Capitol Limited the only Superliner train, in the eastern half of the country past Chicago? I know the Michigan trains occasionally use Superliner cars during winter months, for whatever reason. Wish I could remember why that was.

There are high level platforms at ALB and SYR and it's my understanding that the new ROC station will also include a high level platform.

And the Auto Train also uses Superliners.

#103 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,300 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

And the Cardinal used to run Superliners when it ran only between Chicago and Washington.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 17 July 2017 - 08:42 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#104 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

There are high level platforms at ALB and SYR and it's my understanding that the new ROC station will also include a high level platform.

Yes. The new Schenectedy station will also have high-level platforms. And the recently-opened Niagara Falls station has high-level platforms.

A summary of the Empire Corridor platform situation:
NY Penn (and GCT): high level
Yonkers: high level
Croton-Harmon: high level
Poughkeepsie: high level
Rhinecliff: low level
Hudson: track level, below low level (and a mess, with boarding on only one side, branch tracks which need to be moved and a grade crossing)
Albany-Rensselaer: high level
Schenectady: currently low level, high level under construction
Amsterdam: low level, only one platform
Utica: low level
Rome: low level
Syracuse: high level
Rochester: currently low level, high level under construction
Buffalo-Depew: low level
Buffalo-Exchange: low level
Niagara Falls NY: high level

(The Canadian stations on the Maple Leaf are all low level including Toronto. The LSL stations from Erie west are all low-level.)

The low level stations will all get converted to high level eventually. The prognosis on the ones not under construction:
Rhinecliff: this is Amtrak's legal responsibility, which it has been ducking
Hudson: this is Amtrak's legal responsibility, which it has been ducking
Amsterdam: the station probably needs to be relocated with passenger sidings built (an outline proposal has been made), but nobody seems to be paying much attention
Utica: several proposals have been made, trying to figure out what would get the criminal operation at CSX to cooperate
Rome: repeated proposals to close the station, so it'll probably stay as it is for a long time
Buffalo-Depew: will almost certainly be closed and relocated, but nobody seems willing to commit to a location; the mayor made the unfortunate decision not to replace Depew in the near term
Buffalo-Exchange: current proposals involve rebuilding this with high level platforms, but we'll see; the mayor made the unfortunate decision to replace Exchange without replacing Depew, and I kind of expect the project will die and have to go through another round of discussion

Edited by neroden, 17 July 2017 - 11:55 AM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#105 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

Depew will be closed and relocated?   Sure would be nice if they could return to a restored Central Terminal someday...... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#106 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,300 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

Depew will be closed and relocated?   Sure would be nice if they could return to a restored Central Terminal someday...... :)

This!😎

But realistically it will end up like Central Station in Detroit due to lack of money and no political will!😣
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#107 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

I am assuming this New York to Los Angeles never even left the planning stage, does anyone have any more details? New York to Los Angeles in 60 hours?

http://www.washingto...022800-idx.html

Speaking of this article, I found this within that linked article:

"The other is to run sections of two New York-to-Florida trains down the Florida East Coast Railway through St. Augustine, Daytona Beach and Melbourne.

The Florida East Coast route was the prime route to Miami until the railroad owned by legendary Florida entrepreneur Ed Ball cut the size of train crews and unions went on strike Jan. 23, 1963. Someone began blowing up track under management-operated trains in 1964. President Lyndon B. Johnson called in the FBI after flying over two sabotaged trains on his way to a speech in Miami Beach, effectively breaking the strike. During the strike passenger trains were rerouted through central Florida and never returned to the coastal route."

Wow, so this really is the reason why both Silver trains run through lightly populated areas like Okeechobee, Sebring, and Winter Haven, instead of coastal areas north of Palm Beach/West Palm Beach like Melbourne and Fort Pierce? Granted the central FL route does allow Amtrak to serve Orlando(2 trains) and Tampa(1 train), so I can see why Amtrak might prefer that.

Yes.  Because FEC was out of the passenger business by the time Amtrak was formed, FEC had no incentive to join it, so it didn't and the FEC route was not available to Amtrak.

Edited by zephyr17, 17 July 2017 - 03:04 PM.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#108 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,192 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

There has been an ongoing on again off again activity to get Amtrak to run at least one train on the FEC. It requires a bit of track construction around West Palm Beach and restoration/ building of a bunch of stations for which the relevant cities/ incorporated areas are willing to pitch in. So maybe it will happen some day.

Irrespective of that apparently Brightline between JAX and Miami Central looks very likely to happen.

#109 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

There is a new problem with Amtrak service using the Brightline stations.  Brightline platforms are high level.  To prevent having to have gauntlet tracks at stations for plate "H" freight trains the Brightline cars all have an extendable platform built into the vestibules of the cars.  These platforms extend out then lower to the station platforms.  This feature will require Amtrak to have portable platforms for each vestibule stored at the station.  A cost for sure and the need for a secure container to store them.  Then the possible training of crews of how to use them ?  Do able yes but ? ?

Edited by west point, 18 July 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#110 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,192 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

There is a new problem with Amtrak service using the Brightline stations.  Brightline platforms are high level.  To prevent having to have gauntlet tracks at stations for plate "H" freight trains the Brightline cars all have an extendable platform built into the vestibules of the cars.  These platforms extend out then lower to the station platforms.  This feature will require Amtrak to have portable platforms for each vestibule stored at the station.  A cost for sure and the need for a secure container to store them.  Then the possible training of crews of how to use them ?  Do able yes but ? ?

Your understanding I believe is incorrect based on a conversation I had with Rusty (I forget his last name) who is the Director of Public Relations or some such at AAF. He usually comes to our FRPC meetings and also to FECRS meetings to give updates on Brightline.

There are freight bypass tracks at each Brightline station, except Miami Central where there is chance of a freight ever making it there. The platforms are standard height. What Brightline has is Bridge Plates built into the cars to aid loading of wheelchairs and such. People who are able to walk do not need those, but their presence increases safety. Amtrak trains will have no problem platforming at Brightline platforms, like they don't at their own platforms.

#111 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Irrespective of that apparently Brightline between JAX and Miami Central looks very likely to happen.

Is this *new* news, so to speak? An update to some of the speculation about what *might* happen after Orlando?

#112 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,192 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

They have mentioned both Tampa and Jax. Nothing beyond that. The only thing on which actual preliminary planning is going on at present beyond Orlando is a station in Brevard County. Nothing else that I know of.

#113 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:36 PM

Yeah, CSX doesn't like having it in the freight yard, and neither does anybody else.

It's very unlikely to be upgraded in place.  When it's upgraded it will be moved.

Edited by neroden, 20 July 2017 - 11:37 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users