84 replies to this topic

#81 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

I'm sure Amtrak would benefit a lot from a second east west "hub".

For another "hub" to function, we'd need a much higher level of service. Simply shifting a train or two from Chicago to, for instance, St. Louis would not really improve things much and would, at least in some ways, lessen the functionality by breaking currently-existing connections.

Imagine a scenario where there are tons more LD trains and then another "hub" in New Orleans or St. Louis or somewhere else starts to work. Until then, not so much.

#82 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

I'm sure Amtrak would benefit a lot from a second east west "hub".

For another "hub" to function, we'd need a much higher level of service. Simply shifting a train or two from Chicago to, for instance, St. Louis would not really improve things much and would, at least in some ways, lessen the functionality by breaking currently-existing connections.

Imagine a scenario where there are tons more LD trains and then another "hub" in New Orleans or St. Louis or somewhere else starts to work. Until then, not so much.

And you wonder why I whine about a good train to Chicago???

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

#83 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

I don't think most people on here wonder why you whine about a PHL - CHI train; the main contention (at least for me) is when a PHL - CHI train is pitted against a train that has unique markets and eliminating a train would result in removing some people's only access to the passenger rail network.

Back on topic...

I'm not opposed to the idea of maybe having a through coach and through sleeper from, say, the SWC or EB to the Cap. However, Amtrak would need to have spare Superliners available and the trains would have to be reliable enough to make that connection most of the time. It's not worth delaying the Cap because you have a few people on a through car that are still two hours out. In which case you really don't save any connections, although people might be more willing to stay in their sleeper overnight if they know that'll be their room out to WAS (or whatever their destination is.)

That being said, would there be enough people who would pay more than what they currently pay for a CHI connection for it to be worth dealing with the equipment moves? I'd be tough-pressed to say that, and if we say "well, they won't pay more, but it'll still be a better customer service experience" I would argue that spending that money on IT systems that would allow easy rebooking on a missed connection, maybe even an automatic hotel voucher (to save the "having to wait in line for a new ticket/a hotel room/a food voucher" when just getting off a very delayed train) would lead to a much higher return on investment. If Amtrak suddenly gets enough money to be adding trains to add one-seat rides to more markets, they should be also finding money (or dedicating money) to improving the missed connection experience and making it much more seamless than it is today.

#84 Chessie

Chessie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

If a through car was to go as far as Denver, might as go through all the pain and get it to the west coast. :D

[warning, warning, fantasy detected]
In my dream world we would run a through sleeper using the national limited route to Kansas to connect to SWC and and then another through sleeper using the old UP Wabash route to connect from Kansas, Topeka, Junction City Ellis, Hugo to Denver to connect to CZ. Heck, while we are at it might as well dream for a third sleeper that goes to Portland and Seattle on a revived Pioneer.
[/end fantasy]

#85 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

Hey, that'd be great.

"Make Amtrak great again!"

Edited by maxbuskirk, 25 April 2017 - 04:56 PM.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users