Earthquake Strikes Hawaii

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
A strong earthquake shook Hawaii early Sunday, causing a landslide that blocked a major highway on Hawaii Island and knocking out power across the state, authorities said.
The state Civil Defense had unconfirmed reports of injuries, but communication problems prevented more definite reports. People were also trapped in elevators in Oahu, authorities said.
More details can be found here.

I hope our good friend GG-1 is safe and well. :unsure:

I grew up in California, so I've been in several strong earthquakes. Strongest one I ever felt was 7.3, Landers earthquake in 1992. Worst earthquake was Northridge in 1994, 6.7 due to heavily population area.

6.6 in Hawaii is a pretty good earthquake with mild damage. Building codes that is designed to stay up in event of earthquake make A LOT of different than none, such as outside of western US.

I, too, hope that GG-1 is ok!

Aloha Guys

Mahalo for the concern. Strange I was boarding an Aircraft to the big island when the quake hit, never felt it. On the outbound flight the only effect was lack of power to pull back the gangway. The return flight was delayed 4 hours

Seems the power on Oahu is still shaky, Back on batteries

See ya later

Aloha Again

Seems all is well tonight. No damage to where I live, power is back to normal, and so is work (no a change there would be welcome).

Looks like the the only damage for me is/was in a moment of carelessness my Laptop and Camera Bags were stolen, with all contents, a Sony DVR, Olympus E10, a mini disk recorder, a Toshiba laptop with all my travel pictures, notes and work for the last 10 days.

Well at there here Mahalo.

Oh, man! Bummer! If you had autologins to anything, including this Board, or any banking stuff on the laptop, make sure you change them right now, also any credit card info, have the banks cancel those and issue new account numbers, and put a creditlock/credit watch on the credit reporting agencies, etc...... What a thing to have happen on the heels of the earthquake! Hang in there.....

Back