According to the AGR Insider on FlyerTalk:

http://www.flyertalk...all-2015-a.html

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,595 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

Sounds like Anthony's Bosses and team have worked out a deal that, based on his post, sounds good for most AGR Members!

I'm hopeful that it won't involve an Annual Fee and if switching to another Bank won't involve a bunch of paperwork and red tape!

I've been very happy with my World Master Card and the Chase/AGR Partnership the past few years!

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

If this means that CUR points are no longer transferable then AGR is likely to be a lot less useful to me.  Between this and the points price increase 2015 doesn't look like a great year for AGR members.  Wonder if another devaluation is in the cards before the year is over.  Perhaps an increase on roomette redemptions?

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#4 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

Given that Chase has scammed several people I know... and doesn't seem to want to issue me a credit card because my credit is too good.... I'm hoping the deal's with someone else. Just, please, not Bank of America.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#5 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts
  • Interests:trains,music,guitars

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

Go with capital one.
<a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.avsforum....713'>MY</a>hometheater</a>

#6 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

Since Chase has  never scammed me personally, has always been helpful when I have questions and is my local bank, I am hoping they retain the relationship with AGR for both Mastercard and Ultimate Rewards.

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB  - Empire Service      80,129 Amtrak miles & counting     
Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#7 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

We have a good relationship with Chase and several banking services including my AGR World Card and my wife's AGR card as well. Not looking forward to this if it involves a change in card issuer. I'll follow the AGR route though.

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

6489 more miles booked

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/&lt;p&gt; 

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,277 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

Reading between the lines, it doesn't appear to be Chase.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#9 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the update, Ryan.

As long as points are transferable from CUR to AGR (or at least, as long as we have sufficient notice before the transfers are not permitted), is there really a difference between Citi, Chase, Barlays, etc?

If so, what differences?

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#10 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,097 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the update, Ryan.

As long as points are transferable from CUR to AGR (or at least, as long as we have sufficient notice before the transfers are not permitted), is there really a difference between Citi, Chase, Barlays, etc?

If so, what differences?

Does it really matter since we have/had no input into who AGR chose.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#11 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,277 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

As long as points are transferable from CUR to AGR (or at least, as long as we have sufficient notice before the transfers are not permitted)

I would prepare for a time where that's not the case and transfer points as soon as you're reasonably sure that you want them in Amtrak.

As far as the banks, doesn't really matter to me, they're all more or less the same.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#12 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,595 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

I have to disagree on the Banks being the same Ryan! Wells Fargo and Bank of America were bottom feeders run by hucksters and crooks!

Citi Bank is one I've never had any expierence with, you New Yorkers might know more about them???

I've had good expierence with Chase and Cap One, but best of all are Credit Unions!!!!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#13 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,277 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

I have to disagree on the Banks being the same Ryan! Wells Fargo and Bank of America were bottom feeders run by hucksters and crooks!

You say that as if the other banks you mention aren't.
Posted Image

#14 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,595 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

You say that as if the other banks you mention aren't.

Touche! 😯

#15 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:17 AM

I really want to get the "points for cash" greenback non credit card! I hope that Amtrak's connections in Washington with the Treasury Department helps to secure that as the new deal.

#16 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:11 PM

As long as points are transferable from CUR to AGR (or at least, as long as we have sufficient notice before the transfers are not permitted)

I would prepare for a time where that's not the case and transfer points as soon as you're reasonably sure that you want them in Amtrak.

As far as the banks, doesn't really matter to me, they're all more or less the same.

Agree. Be prepared. Transfer points to AGR when it still works and is useful for your particular needs.

We none of us know the details yet, but obviously, the situation bears watching.

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#17 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:53 PM

I don't care which other company gets it as long as they offer a big bonus.

#18 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,277 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:54 PM

Bonuses are OK, but they're a one shot deal.

I'd much prefer a card with a smaller bonus and better ongoing benefits.
Posted Image

#19 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

My AGR card came with 36,000 points after buying a stick of gum with no annual fee.  I want another bonus like that again.  I couldn't care less about the ongoing benefits.  The more benefits you receive the bigger the annual fee will become and if you don't live along the NEC the annual fee is likely to be a waste of money.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#20 TraneMan

TraneMan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy the outdoors, camping, hiking, and being with my family and friends.

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:07 PM

Hope the new card will be ApplePay friendly.

Amtrak Train travel: Empire Builder = 1677; Silver Meteor = 668; Capital Limited = 780; Hiawatha Service = 172; Cascade = 312; Lincoln Service= 640; Southwest Chief = 2,265;  Total = 21,514

Routes completed: Empire Builder 7 and 8; Capital Limited 29; Southwest Chief 4; Hiawatha. 

First travel was 1990.
(updated 4-2-15)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users