New Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card - Fall 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like Anthony's Bosses and team have worked out a deal that, based on his post, sounds good for most AGR Members!

I'm hopeful that it won't involve an Annual Fee and if switching to another Bank won't involve a bunch of paperwork and red tape!

I've been very happy with my World Master Card and the Chase/AGR Partnership the past few years!

If this means that CUR points are no longer transferable then AGR is likely to be a lot less useful to me. Between this and the points price increase 2015 doesn't look like a great year for AGR members. Wonder if another devaluation is in the cards before the year is over. Perhaps an increase on roomette redemptions?

Given that Chase has scammed several people I know... and doesn't seem to want to issue me a credit card because my credit is too good.... I'm hoping the deal's with someone else. Just, please, not Bank of America.

We have a good relationship with Chase and several banking services including my AGR World Card and my wife's AGR card as well. Not looking forward to this if it involves a change in card issuer. I'll follow the AGR route though.

Thanks for the update, Ryan.

As long as points are transferable from CUR to AGR (or at least, as long as we have sufficient notice before the transfers are not permitted), is there really a difference between Citi, Chase, Barlays, etc?

If so, what differences?

Thanks for the update, Ryan.

As long as points are transferable from CUR to AGR (or at least, as long as we have sufficient notice before the transfers are not permitted), is there really a difference between Citi, Chase, Barlays, etc?

If so, what differences?
Does it really matter since we have/had no input into who AGR chose.

As long as points are transferable from CUR to AGR (or at least, as long as we have sufficient notice before the transfers are not permitted)
I would prepare for a time where that's not the case and transfer points as soon as you're reasonably sure that you want them in Amtrak.

As far as the banks, doesn't really matter to me, they're all more or less the same.

I have to disagree on the Banks being the same Ryan! Wells Fargo and Bank of America were bottom feeders run by hucksters and crooks!

Citi Bank is one I've never had any expierence with, you New Yorkers might know more about them???

I've had good expierence with Chase and Cap One, but best of all are Credit Unions!!!!

I really want to get the "points for cash" greenback non credit card! I hope that Amtrak's connections in Washington with the Treasury Department helps to secure that as the new deal.

As long as points are transferable from CUR to AGR (or at least, as long as we have sufficient notice before the transfers are not permitted)
I would prepare for a time where that's not the case and transfer points as soon as you're reasonably sure that you want them in Amtrak.

As far as the banks, doesn't really matter to me, they're all more or less the same.
Agree. Be prepared. Transfer points to AGR when it still works and is useful for your particular needs.

We none of us know the details yet, but obviously, the situation bears watching.

My AGR card came with 36,000 points after buying a stick of gum with no annual fee. I want another bonus like that again. I couldn't care less about the ongoing benefits. The more benefits you receive the bigger the annual fee will become and if you don't live along the NEC the annual fee is likely to be a waste of money.

My AGR card came with 36,000 points after buying a stick of gum with no annual fee. I want another bonus like that again. I couldn't care less about the ongoing benefits. The more benefits you receive the bigger the annual fee will become and if you don't live along the NEC the annual fee is likely to be a waste of money.
My bonus was only 16,000 points (years ago), but I agree. My AGR MasterCard is the MasterCard I use most often, and it is an incredible deal to get points for literally free, with no annual fee. I hope the new card is also free.

With the United Explorer card you're first in line to board. Right after disabled passengers, Global Services, military personnel, Premier 1K's, Premier Platinum's, First Class customers, and Business Class passengers. Not much of a benefit unless you fly UA a lot, at which point you'd presumably already have equal or greater status without the annual fee. The only people the United Explorer card has actual priority over are the folks who have zero status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, everyone's situation is different, and it is entirely OK for a specific card not to work for someone's needs. I for example wouldn't bother spending $100 on an E+ upgrade either, since I am not really tall enough for it to matter that much. Of course, it is another matter that due to lifetime status I don;t have to worry about that eventuality anyway. As Jim says YMMV.

If Amtrak provided a card for some reasonable fee that gives one access to the Lounges for example, that would be great. Amtrak seems to be unable to manage priority boarding of any kind with any consistency, so, while it would be nice to get priority boarding privileges, i am not sure how well that will work.

Back