Yahoo's odd picks for favorite train trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that they are covering all of North America, and picking only 5 trains, I think it is OK to pick just one Amtrak train. I might have picked a different Amtrak train. I think the other picks are ones that I might have picked too.

Considering that most of the rides on the list are single-day or less, I'm not too surprised, though there are others in that range I'd pick. At least two of the five I've seen on other North America lists too. Good geographic diversity.

I'd expand the List to 10, drop the Grand Canyon Railroad and the Ethan Allen and put the Zephyr, the Starlight,the Adirondack, the Downeaster,the Texas State Railroad, the Durango & Silverton RR and the Cascades between SEA and VAC on my list.YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Adirondack Scenic? And not the Yukon or Pikes Peak? Also what's so scenic about the Downeaster? Migh as well add the Palmetto too then, or at least the Surfliners :p

Yep, the Adirondack has the Hudson River and Lake Champlain, that's pretty scenic to this Texas boy!Bonus: 2 World class cities on each end of the Route!

The Downeaster appeals to me for the little New England Villages, friendly OBS, kicking back in the 2x1 Biz Class Car enjoying a Diet Coke and Sandwich and being able to end up in Portland, I like Seaside Villages!

I haven't been on the Yukon RR and forgot the Pikes Peak, good ones from one who knows! As we say, there's lots of choices, and YMMV!

Yeah Amtrak Adirondack is pretty good. OTOH Adirondack Scenic from Utica to Thedera, interesting ride but not really extraordinarily scenic at all.

The Canadian is a missing sore thumb. That route is amazing (but looooong - one of the longest train rides in the world). Any list of scenic train trips is lacking without le Canadien.

It sounds like one of those "round-up" travel articles we get in the local paper because the budget doesn't stretch to a travel author, where someone has just put together whatever press releases are on their desk and picked several (although I am perhaps being unfair to the author here--perhaps there was a bit more research done for this).

Please do not laugh when I say that two of my bucket list items are the Downeaster and the Pacific Surfliner--like jimhudson, I like seaside villages. But I think the scenery on the Silvers from DC south is beautiful, so what do I know? :p

Consider the source: Yahoo.

Need I say more?
You don't need to, but I have personal reasons for being interested in more details of your opinion of Yahoo.
In a nutshell, I find, as do others, Yahoo articles to *generally* be poorly researched or poorly written. It is rare do I read an article by a yahoo writer and feel like the time I spent reading it was well-spent. It seems as though Yahoo is more interested in catchy headlines to draw clicks and sell the products they advertise on their page then to actually provide well written pieces of journalism. But I don't want to threadjack the purpose of this thread, so if you want to discuss further please PM.

Can't complain about the list either, and if service further degrades on Amtrak EB, CS, CZ, I'd not nominate them either. Canadian IS the big missing element, but they SORT of get at it, with the Rocky Mountaineer.

I'd agree with others that CARD and ADIRONDACK both have fabulous sections of scenery, worthy of a short ride, but equipment and service are also their downfall.

The article was written in blind ignorance. Banff to Vancouver is stunning,,, followed by the CZ and the CS. other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the theater?

The article was written in blind ignorance. Banff to Vancouver is stunning,,, followed by the CZ and the CS. other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the theater?
The problem with The Canadian is it doesn't go to Banff. The Rocky Mountaineer does and they take two days to do it, spending the night in Kamloops. I've ridden three of the five trains mentioned but will probably not get a chance for the other two.

And for those that are commenting apparently without reading the article, or have missed part of it. The Rocky mountaineer is in their list of five.

Yes, I would probably replace the Eathan Allen by the Adirondack. But other than that I cannot think of anything that I would remove from the list to find room for CZ or CS. Well, OK, maybe I'd swap out the Grand Canyon Railway for the CZ - only Denver to Emeryville though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back