Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

New Siemens Charger locomotive.

• Please log in to reply
1191 replies to this topic

#1181 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:07 PM

Interesting that Amtrak in its potential locomotive orders states it wants a longer unit, rumored to be for a larger HEP unit in comparison to the Chargers produced now. I wander if Amtrak goes with Siemens will Amtrak spec a different look or nose for their units.

I would laugh if amtrak chose to use a nose very similar to a P42...

#1182 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:10 PM

Interesting that Amtrak in its potential locomotive orders states it wants a longer unit, rumored to be for a larger HEP unit in comparison to the Chargers produced now. I wander if Amtrak goes with Siemens will Amtrak spec a different look or nose for their units.

Where  are there specifications for the various chargers already produced ?  Thought all were ordered with the 1000 kW capacity for ease of interoperability with various agencies ?  The 680 kW is listed as standard.  However all Chargers have the same HEP inverters that are installed in the ACS-64s ( 2 in thoses units )  Maybe that is a derating limit installed at customer's request.   aWe blieve that 680 kW would be at least  sufficient for  13 cars requiring HEP Amtrak train superliner.  14 with baggage.  Probably a 16 car single level ?

Edited by west point, 06 September 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#1183 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

Where  are there specifications for the various chargers already produced ?  Thought all were ordered with the 1000 kW capacity for ease of interoperability with various agencies ?  The 680 kW is listed as standard.  However all Chargers have the same HEP inverters that are installed in the ACS-64s ( 2 in thoses units )  Maybe that is a derating limit installed at customer's request.   aWe blieve that 680 kW would be at least  sufficient for  13 cars requiring HEP Amtrak train superliner.  14 with baggage.  Probably a 16 car single level ?

As I understand it, mechanically, there are only two kinds of Chargers, the SC-44 and the SCB-40. From what I've read, the latter is just an SC-44 fitted with a special nose and tuned down to have 4000 hp instead of 4400 hp. Beyond that, it looks like they're all the same.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#1184 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,526 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:24 PM

The question still remains, has anyone seen a real specification of what has actually been delivered? I am sure it is around somewhere, but I have not seen it. Absent that, it is all hearsay.

#1185 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:51 PM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

#1186 jrud

jrud

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:19 AM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.
Both the Chargers and P42s are designed for maximum machinery length by placing the cab forward. And both seem to be discouraging anything that is hit from riding up and entering the cab by reverse or vertical slope on the lower part. One just looks like a Siemens locomotive and the other, well, doesn’t. Siemens will almost certainly do anything you pay them to do. But any Charger based locomotive will still look smaller than the current Amtrak locomotives, side by side.

BTW. For increased confusion, this says both 800 and 600 kw for HEP. http://miprc.org/Por...0-10-131934-007

#1187 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:49 AM

There is a design minimum requirement to meet NGEC/PRIAA, but larger size units are available. Different types of users will have different requirements.- previous example: SEPTA no toilet, Amtrak, yes toilet Remember, in an HEP setup unless the power is coming from a separate source like a genset or power car, it reduces what is available for traction. 

#1188 GiantsFan

GiantsFan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:30 PM

Saw two Pacific Surfliner chargers on the southbound coast starlight today going through San Jose
  • Pere Flyer likes this

Based in NorCal. Routes: Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, San Diegan, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades, Northeast Regional.

#1189 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:11 AM

Saw two Pacific Surfliner chargers on the southbound coast starlight today going through San Jose

Wait, were you on the Coast Starlight or were the locomotives on the Starlight (deadheading)?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#1190 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:42 PM

Wait, were you on the Coast Starlight or were the locomotives on the Starlight (deadheading)?

The post says he saw them going through San Jose. Which to me implies the units were going to LAX as the units would have been added in Oakland. 

• Pere Flyer likes this
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#1191 bcanedy

bcanedy

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:23 PM

There appear to be 6 Pacific Surfliner Chargers in LA now.

#1192 GiantsFan

GiantsFan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:38 PM

The post says he saw them going through San Jose. Which to me implies the units were going to LAX as the units would have been added in Oakland. 

Correct. Saw them roll by

Based in NorCal. Routes: Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, San Diegan, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades, Northeast Regional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users