#841 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:27 PM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1501388564.417374.jpg   92.59KB   54 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1501388579.739074.jpg   83.67KB   46 downloads

Here is 4613 in union station. I saw it when I got off of 392. It was on 304 from Stl. There was one p42 on the south end of the train and on the north end a p42 led with the charger behind it elephant style.

The front of the charger had a light display like you see on the front of s bus or commuter train with the word "Chicago". This would be visible to pax when the Chargers are leading.

#842 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1501388564.417374.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1501388579.739074.jpg

Here is 4613 in union station. I saw it when I got off of 392. It was on 304 from Stl. There was one p42 on the south end of the train and on the north end a p42 led with the charger behind it elephant style.

The front of the charger had a light display like you see on the front of s bus or commuter train with the word "Chicago". This would be visible to pax when the Chargers are leading.

I have long thought that the display board is an interesting and often ignored feature of the Chargers. Not that it is a huge deal, but it is a helpful addition that likely cost relatively little.

I do wish they would have added something to the paint scheme, however. I like the colors but the sides are empty and there is no logo or lettering for either the states or Amtrak.

The front left corner of that locomotive also looks a little beat up already, considering it's young age.

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 30 July 2017 - 10:26 AM.

Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#843 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

I do wish they would have added something to the paint scheme, however. I like the colors but the sides are empty and there is no logo or lettering for either the states or Amtrak.

Then perhaps you should keep a sharp watch for the 4611, which may be the first of many to fit your bill.  It is floating around Chicago somewhere and there is be a picture or two that may interest you. :ph34r: Knowing this board, it will probably give you something to complain about.  ^_^

Edited by Thirdrail7, 30 July 2017 - 11:10 AM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#844 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

The front left corner of that locomotive also looks a little beat up already, considering it's young age.

There's nothing wrong with it.  What you might think are dents/scratches are just light reflections around the curved corner of the locomotive.

#845 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

I have seen a new Charger double-heading with a GE today and three days last week on one of the Hiawatha train sets.

Edited by DSS&A, 10 August 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#846 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

I have seen a new Charger double-heading with a today and three days last week on one of the Hiawatha train sets.

As mentioned above, the Chargers are entering revenue service albeit in trail status. California has 6 of them approved for revenue service (with 3 of them in use today) and Illinois has 4 of them in revenue service today. You should see them quite a bit.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 10 August 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#847 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the information. Hopefully their performance will be good enough for them to unleashed to run solo soon.

#848 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

Then perhaps you should keep a sharp watch for the 4611, which may be the first of many to fit your bill.  It is floating around Chicago somewhere and there is be a picture or two that may interest you. :ph34r: Knowing this board, it will probably give you something to complain about.  ^_^
Do you happen to know where those pictures are? I have looked everywhere I could think of and could not find any photos or videos of 4611 since May.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Cardinal CHI-WAS, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#849 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

The question is with the freed up Genesis what happens to them? Rebuilt? Well deserved rest?

#850 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:18 AM

I have seen a new Charger double-heading with a today and three days last week on one of the Hiawatha train sets.

As mentioned above, the Chargers are entering revenue service albeit in trail status. California has 6 of them approved for revenue service (with 3 of them in use today) and Illinois has 4 of them in revenue service today. You should see them quite a bit.

Any particular reason for trail only status for now? I'm guessing to ensure no breakdowns? 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#851 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Hi,
The 4613 and a Genesis were on the one of the Hiawatha train sets today along with the "Veterans" painted cabbage no. 90208.

Edited by DSS&A, 11 August 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#852 Ngotwalt

Ngotwalt

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

Last I heard, the Chargers need forward facing cameras installed, until then, they aren't allowed to lead.
Nick
Amtrak mileage, who knows? Approximately 250,000 miles. Keystones, Pennsylvanian, Three Rivers, Broadway Limited, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYC&BOS), Regionals, Acela Express, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Palmetto, Auto Train, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, California Zephyr, Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder (SEA&PDX), Coast Starlight, Cascades, Wolverines, the International, the Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Downeaster, and Surfliners.

Outside the US, VIA: The Canadian, The Ocean, The Corridor QC to Sarnia; Rocky Mountaineer; Western Europe: The Deerstalker (London-Inverness), IC125s, IC225s, Pendolinos, Eurostars, TGV, Thalys, CNL's Pollux (Amsterdam-Munich), Glacier Express, Ave (BCN-Madrid), RZD Moscow-Chita train, Astrakhan-Volgograd train.

#853 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

all pictures I have seen as of late do show the camera already installed.

https://farm4.static...b93389912_b.jpg

#854 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Have asked this before. look at the front of the SC-44. Outside of the blue MU connections on the front of the loco is another type of connection receptacle. May be some kind of fiber optic connection ? Any one have an idea of the function ?

#855 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

that might be digital trainline, as of now only NJT and I believe brightline uses it instead of old style MU cables.

http://photos.nerail...22452731483.jpg

Edited by Dutchrailnut, 11 August 2017 - 04:13 PM.

#856 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

Last I heard, the Chargers need forward facing cameras installed, until then, they aren't allowed to lead.
Nick

I think you mean Inward Facing... No further comment. 

Yeah it's there. As I mentioned above I think he means in the Inward Facing. 

that might be digital trainline, as of now only NJT and I believe brightline uses it instead of old style MU cables.

http://photos.nerail...22452731483.jpg

Dutch, what is a "Digital Trainline"? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm used to the traditional MU connections. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#857 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

The digital trainline is kind of network cable, it does not only does MU and Com, but it networks each car and each locomotive computer.

currently not many cars have it but Comet 5 and brightliner coaches do, even MUing a locomotive would only require small cable , and  no longer the two 27 point jumpers.

Camera's are not a FRA requirement, it may be Amtrak rule, but silly to leave a 6 million $$ locomotive at sideline.

Edited by Dutchrailnut, 11 August 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#858 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

They came out of the factory equipped with inward and outward cameras. That isn't the hold up although it ultimately involves monitoring.

Do you happen to know where those pictures are? I have looked everywhere I could think of and could not find any photos or videos of 4611 since May.

The state and the facility sent them out.  Since nothing remains a secret, I'm willing to bet pictures will appear. After all, the engine is probably outside somewhere.

#859 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

They came out of the factory equipped with inward and outward cameras. That isn't the hold up although it ultimately involves monitoring.

The state and the facility sent them out.  Since nothing remains a secret, I'm willing to bet pictures will appear. After all, the engine is probably outside somewhere.
A picture finally appeared on Facebook today. There is a blue Amtrak logo on the sides with the words Amtrak Midwest beside it in blue on the gray background. On the front where the background is blue, the same logo and lettering is present in white. It is nothing flashy, but I personally believe it looks very good. Since it appears the locomotives are going to be painted in general Midwest lettering, will they be rotated through Illinois, Michigan, and Missouri regardless of the owner?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

#860 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:26 AM

A picture finally appeared on Facebook today. ... Since it appears the locomotives are going to be painted in general Midwest lettering, will they be rotated through Illinois, Michigan, and Missouri regardless of the owner?

iirc, the plan is eventually have some run-thru trains from the Lincoln Service to the Wolverine line, that is, a one-seat ride St Louis-Detroit. This move probably awaits completion of the South of the Lake segment CHI-Porter, IN as well as upgrading CHI-Joliet to 110-mph.

Those projects would require another wave of Stimulus-level appropriations, making it very hard to predict when that could happen in view of the growing chaos in D.C.

And without more slots for the Wolverines and Lincoln trains, as well as for Missouri's River Runner, seems the present slots to not fit any potential run-thru trains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users