• Please log in to reply
739 replies to this topic

#1 randomguy65

randomguy65

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

It looks like Siemens has released what the Charger will look like in a model. They did the same thing with the ACS-64.

See here: http://www.mainlined..._BottomLeft.jpg

They also did the same thing with the ACS-64: http://www.railcolor...iemens_acs2.jpg

Side note: EMD has also revealed the final look of the new F125. See here: http://www.progressr...RevH_Screen.pdf

Edited by randomguy65, 26 July 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#2 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:24 PM

Those Chargers look handsome. Hopefully the Cummins powerplant will be reliable. 

Edited by THE CJ, 26 July 2015 - 11:24 PM.

#3 ayezee

ayezee

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

Personally I think the F125 looks way better but if they both run well for years that's all that matters.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

Personally I think the F125 looks way better but if they both run well for years that's all that matters.

I wonder which locomotive (the F125 or Charger) will the MTA choose to replace their locomotives for their Metro North and Long Island Rail Road Services...

#5 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

Will either or both be interested in building some of them as dual modes? Both the LIRR and the MNRR use them. I am aware that 2 different 3rd rail systems are in place, and most of us aren't big DM fans, but the reality is a batch of them will end up being bought anyway. If you add on the Amtrak Empire fleet, the quantities get up there.

#6 SubwayNut

SubwayNut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

Do any of these fit into the New York City tunnels.
The F40s and F59PHIs certainly don't.
Check out my website SubwayNut.com decidated to pictures of subway, light rail and railroad stations including nearly 200 that Amtrak stop at!

#7 Andrew

Andrew

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:27 PM

Do any of these fit into the New York City tunnels.
The F40s and F59PHIs certainly don't.

The Charger definitely does and I believe the F125 does, with a 14 foot seven inch height.

However, the F125 would not be allowed to go through the new East Side Access tunnels due to the 13 foot, six inch height clearance requirement in the 63rd street tunnel segment.

When is Amtrak likely to replace their DM locomotives?

#8 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

It's my understanding that the Chargers are shorter in height then even the P42s.

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#9 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:40 PM

I'm pretty sure the Amtrak ones are 1998-2001 deliveries, I'm sure someone will correct that as necessary. The first ones would be getting close using 20 years for a passenger diesel, but with major rebuilds they can go on a lot longer. I think MNRR has been overhauling theirs.

#10 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:55 PM

If the  63rd street tube is 13-6 the locomotive won't matter because the c-3 cars they pull are 14+, which means only the m7 and m9 (eventually)  will be heading there.

#11 Alexandria Nick

Alexandria Nick

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

Those are some goofy trucks on the F125. Are they completely new?  I'm not familiar with those turning up anywhere else.

#12 afigg

afigg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:03 PM

The Charger definitely does and I believe the F125 does, with a 14 foot seven inch height.
When is Amtrak likely to replace their DM locomotives?

It would probably be the state of NY that would buy the P-32 replacements, not Amtrak. On the Amtrak system, only the NYP-ALB corridor needs diesels with a 3rd rail shoe. If NY owns the locomotives, they won't have to pay an annual capital charge to Amtrak.

The PRIIA vehicle specifications webpage has a draft spec for a Dual Mode (DC 3rd rail) locomotive. When the times come for NY to buy P-32 replacements, I would expect both Siemens and EMD will submit bids with modified versions of their passenger locomotives. There is even a discussion document on that page about tje maximum speed requirement for a dual mode locomotive for the Empire Corridor, Which concludes that the maximum operating speed for the dual mode with a 3rd rail shoe on the Empire corridor is 110 mph, so the spec can back off the 125 mph requirement. So the state of NY, Amtrak, the FRA, and the PRIIA committee have been busy writing a detailed spec for a P-32 replacement.

BTW, we have a long thread here on the RFP and placement of the order for 35 Siemens Charger diesel locomotives. It has not posted to for months, because there has been little to no news about the Siemens Charger diesels recently. Siemens is presumably busy assembling the first test and pre-production units. BTW, a discussion about replacing the P-32s should have its own thread, because those might not be built by Siemens if EMD or even Bombardier lands the order.

#13 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

When we say P32 here we mostly mean P32ACDMs and not the P32-8WH s which a pure diesel-electrics and not dual mode, which Amtrak has several of (5xx series).

The replacement for P32-8WHs would simply be the Chargers or F125s depending on what Amtrak chooses to get.

P32ACDM is an open issue.

For Amtrak one could argue that it should consider getting a larger number of catenary dual modes enabling use south of Washington DC at least in Virignia service. But Amtrak so far has been quite reluctant to even consider such.

MNRR and LIRR of course do not need anything other than third rail dual mode and they could actually get them with the new transition third rail shoes which can work on both third rail types in the NY area.

Edited by jis, 02 April 2016 - 06:05 PM.

#14 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

I wonder which locomotive (the F125 or Charger) will the MTA choose to replace their locomotives for their Metro North and Long Island Rail Road Services...

well the EMD F125 exceeds max height by one inch , the max allowable height for both GCT and NYP is 14' 6 ".

#15 George K

George K

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

It's my understanding that the Chargers are shorter in height then even the P42s.

peter

http://w3.usa.siemen...ataSheet_LR.pdf

12.5 feet high.

The P42 is 14 feet 4 inches according to https://en.wikipedia...wiki/GE_Genesis

The F125 is 14 feet 7 inches: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_F125

Edited by George K, 28 July 2015 - 05:29 PM.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#16 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:42 AM

Catenary dual-modes would make a lot more sense than third-rail dual-modes. Any future longer-distance electrification will use catenary. Third-rail dual-modes are kind of dumb, so let's hope Siemens wins a bit for a catenary dual-mode.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#17 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,114 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

Unless New York is going to replace their third rail with catenary, someone is going to need to build a dual mode with a shoe, no matter how dumb it is.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#18 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:06 AM

Unless New York is going to replace their third rail with catenary, someone is going to need to build a dual mode with a shoe, no matter how dumb it is.

Right. Grand Central will not get catenary anytime soon if ever.

#19 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

Nor is the Long Island Railroad.

#20 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

Yes, but LIRR can live with overhead dual mode to get to Penn Station. They do not absolutely positively need a third rail dual mode, unlike MNRR in Grand Central.

LIRR cannot get into ESA with loco hauled C3s at all due to clearance issues, so that is moot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users