#41 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:34 AM

Hi,
California High Speed Rail has announced today the award of the packages No. 4 construction contract. I believe that this is a different joint - venture firm than the other contractors working on other segments.

http://www.railwayga...speed-line.html

For those of us not up to speed on California geography, are all the sections awarded so far contiguous?

Edited by cirdan, 26 February 2016 - 07:35 AM.

#42 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hi,
California High Speed Rail has announced today the award of the packages No. 4 construction contract. I believe that this is a different joint - venture firm than the other contractors working on other segments.

http://www.railwayga...speed-line.html

For those of us not up to speed on California geography, are all the sections awarded so far contiguous?

Yes.  From about 29 miles north of Fresno at Madera to almost Bakersfield. About 100 miles.

Edited by leemell, 26 February 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#43 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:29 PM

Hi,
The high speed rail project has just won a court challenge which supports the current efforts to get the railroad built.

http://www.dailyrepu...ect-to-proceed/

#44 Shawn Ryu

Shawn Ryu

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Interests:trains baseball hockey

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:05 PM

If it makes people feel better there has been a lot of projects declared boondogle and ran over budget that turned out to be pretty damn important.

#45 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:54 PM

If it makes people feel better there has been a lot of projects declared boondogle and ran over budget that turned out to be pretty damn important.

I know one - The Big Dig in Boston. Imagine what real estate values would be in downtown Boston if they still had that Godawful elevated highway splitting the downtown in two. It's also nice for me when I arrive on Amtrak, rent a car, and want to drive to New Hampshire.

#46 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

The Federal Government and the California HSR just amend e d their agreement which will help the project to move forward with adjustments ti deadlines and advancing more funds ti help speed up land acquisitions.

http://www.progressi...deadline--48303

#47 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

It seems to me the federal funding on the California HSR would have been better spent on Amtrak projects. For example, a daily Sunset Limited and/or Cardinal. Or the proposed New Orleans-Orlando train. Or even a revival of the Broadway Limited.

Certainly those could be achieved quicker, without the environmental issues or fights with the local California landowners. At this rate, it looks like it will take decades to get results in California, when we could have trains running elsewhere soon.

#48 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:38 PM

I think high speed rail in California would be a better investment then spending money on long distance trains that are never going to go as fast anyway, not to sound like a mood killer here. 

#49 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:45 AM

I think high speed rail in California would be a better investment then spending money on long distance trains that are never going to go as fast anyway, not to sound like a mood killer here. 

I don't think one should necessarily be at the expense of the other.

#50 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:33 PM

If the California hsr is completed, and successful other regions in the country will also build hsr. Same goes for the FEC project in Florida.

I

#51 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

Hi,
CAHSR has made some operating decisions that will have different affects on the system to be built. The latest decision affects platform and train lengths. Here's a link to an article about the program decisions.

http://www.masstrans...-train-stations

#52 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

Nothing too surprising here. I've been involved in a number of big projects and this kind to thing has happened to every one of them.  Budget, time, risks, design all collide and trade-offs are made.

#53 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

Here is a nice explanation and rebuttal to an LA Times article on this from the CAHSRBLOG:

The argument Vartabedian, Ibbs, and other critics are making is that shorter stations make it harder to operate a “double” train set, as systems like Japan’s Shinkansen often do. But you could just as easily operate two single-sets with shorter headways. That would maintain your capacity.

Here’s an example. Sometimes the Shinkansen operates a single trainset:

6LJddD.gif

And sometimes it operates a double set:

GYuFR3.gif

(Both gifs come from this video.)

Many European systems commonly operate single sets, such as Eurostar, the TGV, the AVE, and so on. So the CHSRA isn’t doing anything significant here in terms of capacity. But the savings is significant and welcome.

The same is true of tunneling. Lowering the tunnel speed from 220 to 200 mph provides a big cost savings on the cost of tunneling, but at a minor time penalty – that will likely be made up by other time savings elsewhere, including going almost directly from Palmdale to Burbank under the mountains rather than going via Santa Clarita.

So the CHSRA’s decision is sensible, as is often the case. But HSR critics will find something to criticize no matter what they do.

#54 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:27 PM

Yesterday's election results likely mean no more federal funding for the California HSR, based on the Republican platform. If it is to proceed, it will need to do so using state funding only.

#55 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:04 PM

Funny, I just read an article that said California High Speed Rail might benefit from Trump's plan to improve infrastructure. The platform means nothing. Trump is certainly not a party faithful Republican. 

#56 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

I agree, during the campaign Trump specifically mentioned High Speed Rail as a thing to do.  There may be some hope.

#57 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:16 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. Not holding my breath.  -_-

#58 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,858 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:23 PM

DOA!

Conservatives Hate California and the Rich Nimbys around the Bay Area don't want it either!

Edited by Bob Dylan, 09 November 2016 - 06:23 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#59 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:11 PM

during the campaign Trump specifically mentioned High Speed Rail as a thing to do.  There may be some hope.

I believe that Russia has big ambitions for HSR. So if Putin likes it … well, c'mon!

#60 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,483 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

I believe that we have no idea what Trump plans to do, so don't do a victory dance, or commit sepuku, over the victory. Wait until he starts doing stuff to deduce how good a president he will be.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users