Scenery on the Pennsylvanian?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangesaint

Train Attendant
Thinking of a shorter 3-day trip and I have done most NE routes already, but the Pennsylvanian is actually a train I have not been on.

Since I am from upstate NY, I have been through PA (Wilkes-Barre eastward to Philly) frequently. I've driven through the back roads of the Pocono Mountains, and have seen Amish Country. West of Wilkes-Barre is what I have not have seen, other then the extreme western areas of the state that the LSL and CL pass through. The highlight of the ride would be the Altoona Curve, but what else is there from say, Harrisburg on west? Amtrak doesn't seem to have a route guide for this train which makes me wonder.

Since I plan more long distance riding, I am wondering if I should save the Pennsylvanian for my next LD western bound trip whenever I get the time to take another one, by taking it to Pittsburgh and eventually hooking up with the CL to Chicago, or if the scenery of the ride warrants he quick round trip to Pittsburgh? I won't really have time to do much in Pittsburgh when there.

So I'm just debating on this or visiting friends in Buffalo and another short Empire Service/Maple Leaf ride which I have done many times.

I, too, have not been on the Pennsylvanian (west of Lancaster). I have a reservation to take it from PHL to PGH in a little over a week. I am very much looking forward to it since I have not seen the western parts of Pennsylvania since I traveled to Johnstown by automobile in 1980.

I am looking forward to the Horseshoe Curve, but I understand that there is much more to see.

This is going back to the 80's on the Broadway. West of Lancaster into Altoona you will see the rolling farmlands. I was travelling in October and saw the Amish farmers, with their teams of horses, harvesting the fields. Being on a trains and seeing horses farming the land took me back in time.

Aloha

You might check the arkives for a Rout Guide for the Broadway Limited. I seem to remember most, if not all, of the route is the same.

Running west from Harrisburg, you'll cross the Susquehanna over the Rockville Bridge, which is the longest multi-span stone arch bridge in the world. I've always enjoyed the view of the Susquehanna (on the right) as the train proceeds up the Susquehanna through Duncannon. Then the mainline follows the Juniata (Joo nee AH tah --- not Juanita) River through Newport, Millerstown, Thompsontown, Port Royal, Mifflintown, Hawstone, Lewistown, Mt. Union, Huntingdon, Spruce Creek, Tyrone, and Altoona. Best views are on the right. I've always been partial to the scenery around Spruce Creek. At Altoona, the sprawling railroad yards are on the left; downtown on the right.

Then move to the left (south) side of the train as you slowly climb the steepest part of the grade to the summit of the Alleghenies. Be on the lookout for Horseshoe Curve. At the summit, your train punches through the Gallitzin Tunnel, then rolls through Cresson and starts down the grade along the headwaters of the Conemaugh River through South Fork (site of the original dam break that caused the Johnstown Flood), and twisting left and right through Johnstown. You'll cross the Conemaugh at the point where the RR bridge created a dam of flotsam & jetsam to cause the town of Johnstown to flood. After a while you'll leave the Conemaugh and roll through Derry, Latrobe, Greensburg, and various small suburbs into Pittsburgh.

A very pleasant route to travel, in my experience.

Tom

I found a few old threads. Here is a link to one of them.

Also, I found a response in one thread about what side of the train to sit.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Pennsylvanian is good right side (when eastbound) only at Horseshoe Curve but has better views out the left side for the rest of the trip.[/SIZE]

Thank you for the info, especially formerOBS, I think you have talked me into it! I'll look up that Broadway Limited guide, didn't think about that!

Penny: That's about the same time I would be taking the route. If I do it, I would take it westbound on the 14th.

Running west from Harrisburg, you'll cross the Susquehanna over the Rockville Bridge, which is the longest multi-span stone arch bridge in the world. I've always enjoyed the view of the Susquehanna (on the right) as the train proceeds up the Susquehanna through Duncannon. Then the mainline follows the Juniata (Joo nee AH tah --- not Juanita) River through Newport, Millerstown, Thompsontown, Port Royal, Mifflintown, Hawstone, Lewistown, Mt. Union, Huntingdon, Spruce Creek, Tyrone, and Altoona. Best views are on the right. I've always been partial to the scenery around Spruce Creek. At Altoona, the sprawling railroad yards are on the left; downtown on the right.

Then move to the left (south) side of the train as you slowly climb the steepest part of the grade to the summit of the Alleghenies. Be on the lookout for Horseshoe Curve. At the summit, your train punches through the Gallitzin Tunnel, then rolls through Cresson and starts down the grade along the headwaters of the Conemaugh River through South Fork (site of the original dam break that caused the Johnstown Flood), and twisting left and right through Johnstown. You'll cross the Conemaugh at the point where the RR bridge created a dam of flotsam & jetsam to cause the town of Johnstown to flood. After a while you'll leave the Conemaugh and roll through Derry, Latrobe, Greensburg, and various small suburbs into Pittsburgh.

A very pleasant route to travel, in my experience.

Tom
An excellent route description...well done!

Don't forget to look for the GG-1 at the Harrisburg station, and other historic PRR sights....the few remaining towers, etc...

Thank you for the info, especially formerOBS, I think you have talked me into it! I'll look up that Broadway Limited guide, didn't think about that!

Penny: That's about the same time I would be taking the route. If I do it, I would take it westbound on the 14th.
I will be a day later. :)

Don't forget to look for the GG-1 at the Harrisburg station, and other historic PRR sights....the few remaining towers, etc...
Dont think the GG-1 has been returned yet, vaguly remember the return was in 2016.

Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
We have taken this train many times and OBS description is right on. A beautiful ride if you have a nice sunny day to enjoy the river, the mountains and the great small towns along the way. Have a great trip :)

I always enjoyed this route on the Broadway Limited and the Three Rivers out of Chicago going to Philadelphia. My favorite time is Summer but especially the peak weeks in the fall.

I have done that route many times on the Broadway Limited, the (Amtrak) National Limited (when those ran) and of course the Pennsylvanian, as recently as year before last. It is one of the more scenic routes out east.

Dont think the GG-1 has been returned yet, vaguly remember the return was in 2016.

Aloha
This still holds true. Although I have no clue on a date of return. The G is under a super tarp just west of the station.

Where is the best scenery located along this route? I might be travelling westbound in the end of December, so it would probably be dark from Altoona west. I looked at the possibility of going eastbound, but there it is far more expensive on the connecting trains so I would take the CL back east. Is it likely there would be snow this time of the year?

Also, the GG-1 was in the station as of my trip on the Autumn Express October 30.

Where is the best scenery located along this route? I might be travelling westbound in the end of December, so it would probably be dark from Altoona west. I looked at the possibility of going eastbound, but there it is far more expensive on the connecting trains so I would take the CL back east. Is it likely there would be snow this time of the year?

Also, the GG-1 was in the station as of my trip on the Autumn Express October 30.
If you want to see Horseshoe Curve and the nice scenery between Cresson and PGH you will have to travel EB on 42 in late December. Only the EB trip will let you see all of the Pennsylvania countryside before PHL in the winter months.

FormerOBS is right. I rode the eastbound Pennsylvanian (Pittsburgh-New York City) in May this year and I enjoyed it very much. The stone arch bridge and above all the Horseshoe Curve were beautiful highlights on this route. Only Pittsburgh's Amtrak station is in my opinion probably the most depressing in the Amtrak network, with a gloomy entrance.

If you're heading westbound, you need to be sitting on the left side of the train to get the best views of Horseshoe curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back