29 replies to this topic

#21 Hal

Hal

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

Hal, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

On the Reserve Card you should spend $300 in travel before the end of this year if that is possible for you to do because the travel credit is by calendar year. I have had the card about two months and was able to get the $300 credit for 2016 spent on travel. January 1, 2017 starts the next calendar year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:54 AM

The Sapphire Reserve card pays 3x for dining as well as travel. See https://creditcards....home/?CELL=6TKX.

AT A GLANCE

Elevated end-to-end travel benefits 3X Points on Travel and Dining from airfare and hotels to fine dining and cafés

The consensus on FlyerTalk is that travel charges must post to a statement in 2016 to get a credit for 2016. One person recently reported having the first statement date moved from something in January to December 28 in order to capture the 2016 credit. Since you already have the card, jis, you might try this if your first statement date is now scheduled for January. (Also, the advice on FlyerTalk is to hang up and call again if the first agent says the change cannot be made.) The travel charges count toward the $4000 spend even if they get reimbursed. The annual fee, which will probably be the first charge on your new card, does not.

A strategy mentioned on FlyerTalk is using the Chase Freedom card for items in a quarterly bonus category (5x), using the Sapphire Reserve card for all travel and dining that isn't eligible for a bonus category (3x), and using a Freedom Unlimited card for all other purchases where some other card is not more appropriate (1.5x). Of course, this requires having all three cards and utilizing the quarterly bonus offering.

As noted earlier in the thread, both the Sapphire Preferred and the Sapphire Reserve offer primary insurance for rental cars. Also, they both offer travel insurance. Sadly, the ability to transfer UR points to AGR has gone away.

#23 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

For someone like me, who travels Amtrak twice a year on an overnight trip from Chicago (New Orleans, or PDX) and wants to spend time at a nicer hotel (on the Mrs.' insistence), what's the best combination of cards? I don't fly. 

Currently, I'm using the AGR MC ($79 fee) for all of my purchases, and I took advantage of the sign-on bonus in points. I also use the AGR shopping portal for everything I can (about 50K points in 2 years that way).

Would I be better off with one of the Chase cards and just paying for Amtrak travel with that?

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#24 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:49 PM

In the short term, the clear winner is the card that offers the bonus most useful to you.

If you have a use for Ultimate Rewards points, that would likely be the Sapphire Reserve card. Since AGR is not a transfer partner for UR, and you don't fly, your transfer options appear to be Hyatt Gold Passport, IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards, and Ritz-Carlton Rewards. You can also use UR points to book travel at the UR web site. If used there (and they can be used for hotels and car rentals, as well as activities, whatever those may be), points are worth 1.5¢ each. Thus, for your $450 annual fee and $4,000 spend in three months, you get $300 back (if you booked at least $300 in travel expenses) plus 100,000 UR points plus whatever points you get for the $4,000 spend. For a net cost of $150, you get points worth at least $1,500—if you can use them usefully at the UR web site.

I understand, but could be wrong, that you can redeem UR points as a credit on your bill. In this case, I believe the points are worth 1¢ each, but you can redeem them for anything you can put on your bill. If I'm right, then you could redeem your bonus points for a $1,000 credit on your bill. Not bad for a $450 card that already reimburses $300 in travel expenses.

I hope that helped.

#25 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

Thank you, Willem, for a clear explanation. The UR, though attractive, is more limited than it used to be (no AGR), and for the hotels we like (not Marriott or Ritz - we like Windsor Court in NOLA), the points are not transferable.

I guess I'll stick with the BoA AGR card for now.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#26 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,212 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:57 PM

On a direct redemption with the Sapphire Reserve card, the points go for 1.5 cents each...so that's not horrid (bonused spend gets 4.5% back).  If you consider the $300 credit and use it, you're looking at a net cost of $150/yr, so even if you never earned a point after the initial bonus your break-even time on the initial bonus is 6.6 years.  Using them "internally" gets you to 10 years, and if you can execute a decent transfer to one of the airline partners you can stretch that even further.

(I'm 5/24-locked, but due to all of the offsets, including the lounge access privileges, the $300 credit, and the extra point per dollar I decided that it was worth the switch from a the Sapphire Preferred even without the signup bonus)

Edited by Anderson, 23 December 2016 - 10:02 PM.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#27 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,637 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:43 PM

Yup. The more I use it the more I realize what an incredible card it is. I was fortunately able to be eligible for the 100k and should have no difficulty meeting the $4k requirement in three months.

#28 sechs

sechs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

Has anyone tried calling in to make an Amtrak reservation using points?

I know that this works with Southwest (and Chase even carries their card).

#29 diesteldorf

diesteldorf

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

Has anyone tried calling in to make an Amtrak reservation using points?

I know that this works with Southwest (and Chase even carries their card).

I just got this card recently and have been pretty pleased with the benefits, though I am confused how one could try to make an Amtrak reservation.  Regardless, I'll probably shift the majority of my spending over to the Reserve, since I already have plenty of AGR points.

I know AGR points are technically worth 2.5 cents according to some, but I wish Amtrak made it easier to transfer out if needed.

Anyone else get this card recently and wish to share their thoughts?

#30 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,637 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

I have had it for about 4 months now. I have collected my 100,000 points and my $300. I will be using the bounty for booking my trip to New Zealand and Australia.

It has become my go to card for all travel and food expenses. Since I have low chance of making any status on AGR even with the AGR Card TQPs the AGR card is becoming progressively less attractive. But I am still holding on to it for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users