Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Pack n Play in Superliner Bedroom?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

Just tried a test booking online.  If you select "I have reduced mobility" and say you have a wheelchair and will sit in it during the trip, the H room comes up as the  option for a room.  If you select "I am a person who is deaf or has a hearing loss", only roomettes and bedrooms come up.

Thank you for investigating and reporting.

#42 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:32 AM

I have to say I was seriously disappointed to discover what this thread was about...

Somehow, my imagination ranged around packs of beer, play, bedroom.....  

How immoderate!     :P 

Ed :cool: 

#43 oldtimer

oldtimer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Interests:If it rolls, flies, or floats I can fix it, certified A&P mechanic, builder and crew chief for late model stock car, I ride a 1977 GoldWing and have worked a lot on vintage aircraft.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:57 PM

I have to say I was seriously disappointed to discover what this thread was about...

Somehow, my imagination ranged around packs of beer, play, bedroom.....  

How immoderate!     :P

Ed :cool:

Ed I have to agree with you about my mutual disappointment!

I would hazard a guess that it is a generational thing!

#44 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

I'm disappointed too - but for a different reason.  43 posts and 5 days have gone by and there's still no direct measurement of that space.  Nothing but guesses, estimates and suggestions to do something else.  We still don't know with any certainty:

•  If the single seat can actually be removed by an SCA and

•  If it can and the single seat is removed, how much actual floor space there actually is considering the support post remains in place.

I'd go measure it myself were it not for the fact that the nearest Amtrak station is a 6 hour drive from here.  Have a hunch this thread will continue to grow over the next week or so with no meaningful additions.  

#45 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

I'm disappointed too - but for a different reason.  43 posts and 5 days have gone by and there's still no direct measurement of that space.  Nothing but guesses, estimates and suggestions to do something else.  We still don't know with any certainty:

•  If the single seat can actually be removed by an SCA and

•  If it can and the single seat is removed, how much actual floor space there actually is considering the support post remains in place.

I'd go measure it myself were it not for the fact that the nearest Amtrak station is a 6 hour drive from here.  Have a hunch this thread will continue to grow over the next week or so with no meaningful additions.  

I've never heard of the single seat removed, so I would say that is doubtful. Although it does fold up, right? at least it does int he Viewliner. I think its bolted to the floor but the seat part can fold up like a theater seat. 

#46 Rawlyrocks

Rawlyrocks

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

So in an effort to reduce the amount of *stuff were packing along with us- I'm thinking we'll try to board as early as possible & if the p&p doesn't fit-leave it with our family whose riding us to the station.
This way we won't have to lug a 20lb waste of space with us.

Anyone know-how early before departure (11:59pm) one can board?
-if we can run back inside to rid ourselves of the p&p? <-I think this is an 'of course' thing but it's never dumb to ask.

Boarding in Pittsburgh, PA.
Thanks for all the support!!!

#47 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,217 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

You MAY have time to try setting it up since, I believe, Pittsburgh is a crew change stop, but I doubt you'll have the time you'll need since Pittsburgh is not a starting point for the CL. If the CL is running late, they'll leave as soon as the crew has switched. Somebody could be left behind.
Plus, I imagine it would be hard to get it up the narrow winding stairs quickly.

#48 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

This is from RRRick a week ago in in Post #24. . .

"Keep in mind that there normally is a folding chair on a post in the corner where the bag is shown."

. . to explain why the single chair could not be seen in the photo.  For all I know, it could have been removed by maintenance and simply never reinstalled!  Rawlyrocks still has no real idea whether or not her P&P will fit.     

Edited by niemi24s, 26 June 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#49 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:23 PM

I don't know how That station works. But you could have an extra person go trackside that is staying home. And if it doesn't work. Drop it off with them.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#50 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:35 PM

This sounds like a gigantic pain. I, for one, wouldn't want to lug a Pack & Play up and down those stairs, let alone wrestle with it in a bedroom. It's hard enough getting up those stairs with a suitcase. The idea of bringing it up just to test it and then hauling it back down again makes me annoyed and tired, and I'm not even the one doing it. ;)

I would either go with a travel crib or do the pillows/blankets/co-sleep thing.

My friend has this one and absolutely adores it:

51b0811f74c5b675ac0009e3._w.540_s.fit_.J

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#51 I always rode the Southern

I always rode the Southern

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

I talked to my son,who took our then 8 mo old granddaughter on the auto train last Christmas.  They used the car seat in daytime config and an eddie bauer "travel thing" for sleeping. They didn't even try the pack and play, and he doesn't think it would fit, but maybe the pad would work for play on the floor.

for myself being used to the bedrooms, I  can't imagine how you would be able to move around in the room, much less get into the bathroom.

#52 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

This sounds like a gigantic pain. I, for one, wouldn't want to lug a Pack & Play up and down those stairs, let alone wrestle with it in a bedroom. It's hard enough getting up those stairs with a suitcase. The idea of bringing it up just to test it and then hauling it back down again makes me annoyed and tired, and I'm not even the one doing it. ;)

I would either go with a travel crib or do the pillows/blankets/co-sleep thing.

My friend has this one and absolutely adores it:

51b0811f74c5b675ac0009e3._w.540_s.fit_.J

i believe the child is too big for a travel crib.

#53 Rawlyrocks

Rawlyrocks

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

On the CL super liner and the Greco Pack And Play Travel Lite fits wonderfully in bed room D with room to open the bathroom door and store two big backpacks, a sizable diaper bag and hefty purse. *when the bed is in couch mode.

(I quoted the name so others can find this answer through Google search)

This is a delightful journey! Thanks for the support!

#54 Rawlyrocks

Rawlyrocks

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:53 AM

Will post dimensions later

#55 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

That's good to know. :) We get this question on occasion, so it will be good to have a reference.

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#56 RRRick

RRRick

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Interests:Transportation history,

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:54 AM

Will post dimensions later

Great, and a photo if possible.

#57 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:02 PM

But what if the adult chooses to sleep in the top bunk?  Can the bottom bunk remain in the daytime position?  

Simple answer to your question is, yes. I'm an early riser and my wife is not. I often get up, shower, and change the lower bunk to the sitting configuration while she's still asleep...

My vacation starts when I climb aboard the train and hear the whistle blow...
NP's Vista-Dome North Coast Limited in the early '60s....those were the days!
Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002; SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009; California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011; Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

#58 dcipjr

dcipjr

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

Hey guys,

Long-dead topic, but we're looking at doing a Superliner Bedroom with an infant, and trying to figure out how workable this will be. It sounds as if the Travel Lite pack and play will fit (it's 33.5" x 23.2"), but maybe the lower bunk won't be able to be folded down -- all the way, or at all? 

It would seem that the room is 6'6" wide (78 inches), and the lower berth dimensions are 3'4", so in theory that would leave 38" of floor space. 

Anybody traveling soon that would be able to get the dimensions of the floor space on a Superliner?

Also, does the corner chair definitely fold up? Is it removable? Does it swing so that it can be stowed with the chair back to the window?

Edited by dcipjr, 12 February 2018 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users