Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Pack n Play in Superliner Bedroom?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:25 AM

A new member (whose registration got "lost" during our transition) has posed this question to me.  I do not know the answer, but I hope someone does.  She will be traveling soon.  Thanks.

I'm traveling for 3 nights on the Empire Builder with a 6 month old in a week and a half. I am trying to find out if the Superliner Bedroom has floor space for 23.2 x 33.5  (the smallest 'pack n play) when the bottom bed is in couch position??  

I've called Amtrak and they were no assistance. 

do you have any experience in this area or do you know anyone who does?

Thank you for any help you can give!

Amtrak miles: 230,820; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#2 Nader60

Nader60

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

There might be, but I'm not sure. They do make smaller infant travel beds, i.e. 

http://www.amazon.co...fant travel bed

#3 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:08 PM

We definitely had a thread about this in the past. I think we determined that a pack and play was too big but had other ideas. 

#4 MnMotherMary

MnMotherMary

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, reading, crafts, fishing & US Travel

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

Excellent suggestion on bringing the smaller infant travel bed. The pack n play might fit, but, there would be absolutely no room to maneuver the adult in the room or be able to access the bathroom. Plus it would be cumbersome to haul especially when you are carrying the baby and your luggage etc.

#5 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

This is also very popular with my new mom friends:

http://www.amazon.co...s=rock and play

The Rock N Play. 

#6 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

Here is a link to a 2013 thread.  There may be more.

and another one:  http://discuss.amtra...nd-family-room/

and one from 2010: http://discuss.amtra...g-with-toddler/

Amtrak miles: 230,820; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#7 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

http://discuss.amtra...g-with-toddler/

#8 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,578 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

The bedroom is 6‘6" x 7‘6". The lower berth is 3‘4" x 6'3" which goes almost to the sink/bathroom. That leaves 3‘3", which also includes the bathroom and the ladder to the upper bunk. I would say no.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#9 Rawlyrocks

Rawlyrocks

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

I'm the new member!!
Thank you SO much for ALL the responses!

I've read the other threads already, but was hoping for some dimensions. of that floor space between the bathroom/chair-mirror/window/couch area.

My son is 24lbs and 30"long (AKA a Union Pacific Big Boy-the size of some 2 year olds) and a very active sleeper--throughout the night he half wakes up and roams every corner of the crib. So I am concerned that the smaller options-not allowing him to roll over- at least a half-3/4ths roll would wake him.... in addition to sleeping in a new space.

In response to some of the suggestions in those other threads== I am willing to co-sleep but he sleeps for 12-14 hours a night and it would be nice to be able to not be on ‘catch-a-rolling-baby duty' for such an extended period of time.

I have also seen this pic
http://hostthenpost....0ff563bb2e0.jpg
and a number of youtube videos-but can't figure dimensions from it/them.

Again, THANK YOU so much for all the help!!

#10 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

This new member is in dire need of information from somebody onboard a Superliner sleeper with a tape measure!  Best I can do is use Amtrak's room dimensions and scale off a floor plan; bedrooms B through E have a rectangular area on the floor about 22" X 48" with an uncertainty of probably ±2";  bedroom A's rectangular floor space is much narrower, as can be seen below.

Attached File  Superliner Bedroomsb.jpg   51.08KB   38 downloads

Tying it atop the single seat using a small ratcheting cargo tie-down strap might be another possibility - especially if the arms of the single seat fold up. 

Edited by niemi24s, 19 June 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#11 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

I wonder if either the Family Bedroom or the H Room would be better options and have more space.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#12 Rawlyrocks

Rawlyrocks

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:50 PM

^^ Or even someone on board on a Superliner with a standard unit of measurement-a lap top,  spiral notebook, large hardback book--how many lengths/widths are available in the above highlighted space in your room?

(Great Idea!!!)

Edited by Rawlyrocks, 18 June 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#13 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

Ok I get the desire for the pack n play, but I really think it isn't going to work. 

The problem with a 30" long 6 month old is that they are much too long for most of the other travel sleepers.  I am only 60" tall and I'm a full grown woman!

#14 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

I agree it might be best to co-sleep. There is enough room to sit in the chair while the lower bunk is still in the "bed" position, so if you stay up later and/or wake up before him and don't want him to roll out of bed, take the extra pillows and shove them under the fitted sheet to create a "bumper" along the edge of the bed.

You can do the same thing with a pool noodle or bolster pillow, but I doubt you want to haul that along with your other stuff (of course, it would be easier than hauling a pack & play...)

Attached File  bolster.jpg   104.97KB   29 downloads

Amtrak Miles: 43,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#15 shelzp

shelzp

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Could you put the pack n play on the lower bunk so he would stay contained? And you'd be sleeping up top.

I think it would fit on the floor in the H Room is one is available for your trip.

Edited by shelzp, 18 June 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#16 Rawlyrocks

Rawlyrocks

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

Is the 'H room" the handicap accessible room?

I thought if it was close enough to departure and it wasn't booked, I could switch to the accessible room.

The Amtrak rep I spoke with yesterday said I'd need "documentation proving an ambulation related disability."

:( No dice.

#17 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:46 PM

I thought if it was close enough to departure and it wasn't booked, I could switch to the accessible room.

The Amtrak rep I spoke with yesterday said I'd need "documentation proving an ambulation related disability."

it should be available to anyone less than two weeks prior to departure. Call back. 

#18 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:57 PM

it should be available to anyone less than two weeks prior to departure. Call back. 

It should be, but only if all other sleeping accommodations are booked as explained here:  http://www.amtrak.co...th-a-disability

#19 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

This new member is in dire need of information from somebody onboard a Superliner sleeper with a tape measure!  Best I can do is use Amtrak's room dimensions and scale off a floor plan; bedrooms B through E have a rectangular area on the floor about 22" X 52" with an uncertainty of probably ±2";  bedroom A's rectangular floor space is much narrower, as can be seen below.

attachicon.gifSuperliner Bedroomsb.jpg

Tying it atop the single seat using a small ratcheting cargo tie-down strap might be another possibility - especially if the arms of the single seat fold up.

The chair seat can fold up and then the chair can rotate, providing a larger floor space.

Having said that, I think SarahZ has the best idea: pillows under the sheet.

#20 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:43 PM

Amtrak's own web site does not require an "ambulation related disability." In particular, hearing loss is a listed condition. Unless I'm misunderstanding something (and it has happened), hearing loss can occur without ambulatory impairment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users