ARB-DER Round Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerP42

Conductor
So, I finally (FINALLY!!!) convinced my parents to let me take a leisure ride on a train. Anyways, I'm doing ARB-DER. 350 out and 359 back. I had a few questions:

1. What is the consist of the Wolverine?

2. I bought these tickets at the train station for the physical tickets, so how do I add them to amtrak rewards and my online Amtrak account?

3. Would anyone like to either meet me at ARB or DER and talk? Especially DER during my layover. Or if someone would really like to come and ride with me so I have someone to talk to!

Thanks everyone... its been a rough one with my parents but well worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also like to know what the difference between the Horizon cars and the Amfleet cars are. I've been on Amfleet with LSL but not Horizon cars.

The Wolveriene consist varies a little bit, but it normally is:

P42, 3-5 Horizon Coaches, Amfleet Biz/Cafe, P42

This occasionally changes by either having more Amfleet coaches mixed in or a Horizon Cafe instead.

Internally Horizon cars and the Amfleets you'll be on are set up the same. The biggest difference is that the Amfleets look (and are) round, whereas the Horizons look (and are) square.

Horizon Coach:

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/locoshots/horizon/54500A.jpg

Amfleet Coachs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amfleet#/media/File:Amfleet_1.jpg

As for AGR, either ask at the Ticket counter to connect your ARG# to your reservation (you can do this mid-trip, like at DER), or on the phone 1-800-USA-Rail

peter

Edit: I was about to call you out about taking #359, as until recently that train didn't exist (the Amtrak website page for MI trains doesn't even list it) But it seems to be a new addition.

I just verified, #350 is running with 4 Horizons & 1 Amfleet cafe. IDK about 359, as it's new.

The Wolveriene consist varies a little bit, but it normally is:

P42, 3-5 Horizon Coaches, Amfleet Biz/Cafe, P42

This occasionally changes by either having more Amfleet coaches mixed in or a Horizon Cafe instead.

Internally Horizon cars and the Amfleets you'll be on are set up the same. The biggest difference is that the Amfleets look (and are) round, whereas the Horizons look (and are) square.

Horizon Coach:

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/locoshots/horizon/54500A.jpg

Amfleet Coachs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amfleet#/media/File:Amfleet_1.jpg

As for AGR, either ask at the Ticket counter to connect your ARG# to your reservation (you can do this mid-trip, like at DER), or on the phone 1-800-USA-Rail

peter

Edit: I was about to call you out about taking #359, as until recently that train didn't exist (the Amtrak website page for MI trains doesn't even list it) But it seems to be a new addition.

I just verified, #350 is running with 4 Horizons & 1 Amfleet cafe. IDK about 359, as it's new.
Thanks! The 359 I didn't know about until I booked, it's kind of nice since it's only an hour layover there instead of the about 5 hour layover I was going to have. if You know of the consist of 359 at some point, let me know!

I can tell you that it'll have 4 cars; 3 coaches and a Biz/Cafe. At least 2 of the coaches will be Horizons; the other coach and the cafe could be either Horizon or Amfleet. The people I know who keep track didn't specify which train had which.

peter

I can tell you that it'll have 4 cars; 3 coaches and a Biz/Cafe. At least 2 of the coaches will be Horizons; the other coach and the cafe could be either Horizon or Amfleet. The people I know who keep track didn't specify which train had which.

peter
Whats the difference between the Amfleet and Horizon cafes?

Whats the difference between the Amfleet and Horizon cafes?
My experience is mainly on the Illinois Zephyr which almost always runs with horizon coaches and an amfleet cafe. So I comparing a coach to a cafe. In my opinion the amfleet is much noisier, rattles, track noise, etc. It also seems to run a little rougher that the horizon coaches on what is one of the smoother routes in the system.

I've also ridden amfleet coaches a few times between DC and Baltimore. My noisy, rough assessment was the same. But then you might expect the higher speed on the NEC to be noisier and rougher.

Of course, I assume we are talking about amfleet I's.

Here is what Today's trains looked like, but they can change!

Today's 359

P42 31 (with black panel on lower nose)
Amfleet 2 cafe
Horizon coach
Horizon coach
Horizon coach
P42 38

Today's 350

P42 28
Horizon cafe
Horizon coach
Horizon coach
Horizon coach
P42 126
peter

Thanks! Hopefully it's the same when I go on. Could I PM you when I go so I can ask what the consists are? I don't want to say the day I'm going on here in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back