Can I bring an iron on my carry-on?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I sure hope I'm posting this in the right discussion. My apologies if I'm not. I will be travelling from New York to Montreal in a few months, and the hotel I'm staying at will not provide me with an iron. So, I'm wondering if there's any rule against bringing a little travel iron on my carry-on? I hope I can bring it! Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there will be no problem with having it in your carry-on luggage. But resist the temptation to try to use it on the train, because of its high current draw.

Not to muddle things too much, but Amtrak's list of "prohibited items" has the following entry:

Household and automotive items, including but not limited to antiques, appliances, artwork, furniture, machinery and car parts, powered tools, silverware, tires, and tow bars

Arguably, an iron could be considered a household appliance. In practical terms, if the iron is small enough to fit into a standard

carry-on, and if you don't take it out of the bag at any point, then it would be a case of "no harm, no foul." But you should probably

be aware going in that some over-zealous Amtrak employee might have a problem with it.

Not to muddle things too much, but Amtrak's list of "prohibited items" has the following entry:

Household and automotive items, including but not limited to antiques, appliances, artwork, furniture, machinery and car parts, powered tools, silverware, tires, and tow bars

Arguably, an iron could be considered a household appliance. In practical terms, if the iron is small enough to fit into a standard

carry-on, and if you don't take it out of the bag at any point, then it would be a case of "no harm, no foul." But you should probably

be aware going in that some over-zealous Amtrak employee might have a problem with it.
Seeing that it's a travel iron, I would not think they'd consider it a household appliance anymore than an electric razor or a hair dryer - both are used the house. :)

You won't get hassled over a travel iron. Mostly they don't want people bringing aboard all sorts of junk like they're using Amtrak as a moving/delivery service. I believe they don't want passengers bringing on potentially dangerous items either. As long as you're not using it on the train you'll be fine.

Seeing that it's a travel iron, I would not think they'd consider it a household appliance anymore than an electric razor or a hair dryer - both are used the house. :)
Fair point. I missed the modifier word "travel" when I read the OP.

So can I bring an anvil in my carry-on? I've got some urgent blacksmithing to get done.

What if I said it was a travel anvil?

Not sure that "iron" and "traveling" belong in the same sentence. It sounds like bringing housework with you.

Before you know it, Amtrak will get hold of this and we will be ironing our own sheets on the train (in addition to putting on our own blankets, and cooking food to take on a train that doesn't have a dining car....) :p

Never seen a hotel that couldn't provide an iron upon request. :blink:

So can I bring an anvil in my carry-on? I've got some urgent blacksmithing to get done. What if I said it was a travel anvil?
I like the idea but I think they'd notice you slowly dragging your carryon down the isle as it scraped up the floor.

Never seen a hotel that couldn't provide an iron upon request. :blink:
Bangkok Hilton not too good with amenities.. The showers can be problematic too...

Ed. :cool:
Didn't know you hung out in such fancy places Eddie! I thought you, like me, were more the Hostel type! LOL
Hey, wait a minute. I've met Ed and he was a prim and proper gentleman.

I don't know how anyone could consider him to be a hostile type!!!!!

:giggle: :help: :p

Note to Al: Know you're kidding! For those that don't know, Eddie and I shared a Room @ the HGI ( sort of the Unofficial AU Headquarters) @ the Gathering in Emeryville last October!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back