Drama in San Antonio

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatcats

Engineer
Hi Folks - having arrived on bus from Austin, which was OK, we boarded the two through cars that should have been from 21 and were parked on a siding east of Commerce Street. At about 2am came a pounding in our doors ordering us off in emergency. Four police cars were outside. It goes something like one of the coach passengers placed a package in a rest room and then made a bomb threat. Sniffing dogs were called and the train was searched and those who brought baggage to the platform had it examined. The train has now been assembled for departure, but the head end power is not yet on. Amtrak employees shuttled some people to the station to visit rest rooms and provided additional water bottles. At least it was a pleasant night weather wise out there. It is now 4:40 am and hopefully we will be on the move soon. The yard conductor told me they had wanted us to be out on time tonight and this is the first time this has happened here. Ah, such adventure!

Hi Folks - having arrived on bus from Austin, which was OK, we boarded the two through cars that should have been from 21 and were parked on a siding east of Commerce Street. At about 2am came a pounding in our doors ordering us off in emergency. Four police cars were outside. It goes something like one of the coach passengers placed a package in a rest room and then made a bomb threat. Sniffing dogs were called and the train was searched and those who brought baggage to the platform had it examined. The train has now been assembled for departure, but the head end power is not yet on. Amtrak employees shuttled some people to the station to visit rest rooms and provided additional water bottles. At least it was a pleasant night weather wise out there. It is now 4:40 am and hopefully we will be on the move soon. The yard conductor told me they had wanted us to be out on time tonight and this is the first time this has happened here. Ah, such adventure!
Wow Eric, this has been one big Amtrak Adventure trip. Stay safe, your kitties await your return. :)

Strange times on my home trains indeed!

Hopefully this clown is uncomfortably resting in the Bexar County Jail as Great Cats and the other pax enjoy Breakfast in the Diner as the theSunset chugs through the Big Nowhere heading West!

As Bill says, what a strange adventure its been, but not nearly as weird as the trip from hell he and Claudia had on the Texas Eagle and Sunset on their trip to New Orleans!

Last edited by a moderator:
And at least you are heading west into weather we can only dream about enjoying here!
Funny you should mention it that way...... We boarded the #2 eastbound SL on that day, and later that evening we saw a tremendous thunderstorm in west Texas. Surely you weren't referring to that, were you? The hail rattling against the windows was loud! I guess that is why the #1 was running so late and we passed them heading east. They were in the siding as I recall. The engineers exchanged pleasantries as we passed (where ya been? bout time you showed up! could you go any slower?)

Hi. I was looking out the back window on that meet as you went east. We did not have any bad weather that night and the sunset was beautiful as train 1 headed to Tucson. We were not late due to weather; it was because of the idiot bomb scare in San Antonio.

I wonder how many other passengers, or first-time passengers, will now say "Never again !" to train travel as a result of this.

I wonder how many other passengers, or first-time passengers, will now say "Never again !" to train travel as a result of this.
Statistically I would imagine the 2:45AM-4:50AM calling times three days a week for the SL creates a lot more problems than San Antonio's psychotic station antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back