Southwest chief-places to eat westbound

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JJ

Traveling next month from Harrisbug to Flagstaff with teenage son. We will get food in Chicago to take for first day. Are there any stops that have food or drinks available to get us through the second day? Have ridden the zephyr and I know that some stops were a tad longer and allowed us to grab a quick snack. Any tips would be appreciated.

The most obvious answer is Chicago. Kansas City......maybe, but I would not plan on it. Albuquerque, yes, but then you are pretty close to my town. Please write if I can help with Flagstaff.

Most trips the Chief is at KC for about 15 to 20 minutes. You will have time to get off the train, but stay trainside. KC is a crew change point. Going into the station involves stairs or a elevator. Also the chief makes a stop after dark. Albuquerque is a both crew change point and also the 500 mile inspection stop. If on time the train will be there about 30 to 45 minutes.

It is not unheard of for the number 3 Chief to be early to KC, but I don't remember any of the shops being open when it stops in. Maybe a bar, but that's it.

As mentioned above, there are few opportunities on the Chief to actually get off the train, find a place to eat and return to the train with food before the train departs. You might wish to try the diner for a breakfast or the cafe car for a snack meal just to have the experience of LD train riding. The risk of the train leaving without you anywhere except perhaps ABQ, are too great and could ruin your train riding experience.

I too would think ABQ would be the only safe option to get off the train and wander not too far off; as is the local Native Americans set up as in the traditional ATSF days and sell nice jewelry, blankets and such on the platform. I understand a Food Truck was also on hand at one time, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. The last time I was through there westbound I did not hunt out chow as I had a nice Steak waiting to be cooked to perfection in the Diner :)

I have seen passengers left at stations before. When its time for departure, its time. 2 horn toots, doors are closed and the train starts moving. I saw a couple once waving, shouting and running out of a station and the train did not stop for them as no one saw them running. Conductor always warns passengers not to wander too far away.

Most of us here would urge you to rethink your food plans.

ABQ is your best shot since the train has a scheduled dwell time of 50 minutes if it is running on time. If it is early (rare) it cannot depart before the scheduled departure time. If late (usually the case), it can leave in less than 50 minutes. Heed the advice of your car attendant or conductor re venturing off the platform.

There is a food court inside the station with vending machines, but I don't know if your choices are any better that the train's café/lounge car selection. I don't know what is available near by.

Just remember---2 toots on the horn and your train is gone!

If you order prepared food from the cafe inside the Amtrak Station ( shared with Greyhound and other Buses) they are very slow, they take one order @ a time and cook it, so I wouldn't do this unless I was first in line and was sure #3 was staying @ least 30 minutes if not more!

Don't go too far from the Station! Next train in 24 Hours as Conductors say!!

There is a sandwich stop right across the street from the Albuquerque station and one block north called Pizza 9. I've never eaten there, but the menu looks good if you google "pizza 9 albuquerque". They deliver, so I am sure you could call ahead after Lamy or so and order something for delivery to the station.

For what it is worth, I _have_ eaten at the cafe in the station and it is very slow, as mentioned above, and also, in my opinion, quite yucky and cheap (quality) fast food.

Good luck!

Ainamkartma

You might also consider calling ahead to a place and see if you can talk them into delivering to the train. The train stops for a few minutes with time to get off in Raton - not enough time to go anywhere but surely you can find a place that would deliver (hopefully). The restaurants are not that far from the station.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/restaurants/@36.9010463,-104.4386263,17z/data=!4m8!2m7!3m6!1srestaurants!2sRaton+Amtrak!3s0x8710f06803ba86f1:0x74f7505da451d340!4m2!1d-104.437886!2d36.901072

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back