Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Derailment Philadelphia (5/12/2015)

• Please log in to reply
1052 replies to this topic

#41 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

Was this a CSX crash with freight train, sabotage or train going too fast or defect with Sprinter?

While Acela costs more, may be more prudent and safer to take Acela at this point in time.

Lets give it time for FACTS to be revealed!

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#42 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:10 PM

From FB. Hopefully the engineer is OK.
Attached File  11130164_10205852389807652_6169590921972120563_n.jpg   34.33KB   118 downloads

Edited by Ryan, 12 May 2015 - 10:16 PM.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#43 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:10 PM

Lots of self-appointed experts have already posted lots of crap about what caused the wreck, what is wrong with Amtrak, how we should have a national maglev system, etc.  Obviously idiots.  Be careful what you believe. 

Tom

Thank you for speaking up and out about this.  I thought I was the only one feeling like that here, but am too shaken to speak up.  I just came through the area last night.

Prayers for our brothers, sisters, and passengers onboard.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#44 Slayer Essence

Slayer Essence

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

There are some pictures on Facebook of the ACS-64, it looks pretty intact so I don't think this was a head on collision between anything. I just hope everyone is ok and that a Sprinter defect wasn't the cause of the accident.

#45 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,151 posts

From the video, looks like at least 6 cars plus an ACS-64 derailed. I'm watching helicopter footage on http://www.nbcphilad...-303536331.html

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#46 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Lots of self-appointed experts have already posted lots of crap about what caused the wreck, what is wrong with Amtrak, how we should have a national maglev system, etc.  Obviously idiots.  Be careful what you believe. 

Tom

Thank you for speaking up and out about this.  I thought I was the only one feeling like that here, but am too shaken to speak up.  I just came through the area last night.

Prayers for our brothers, sisters, and passengers onboard.

Thirded. Thoughts and prayers with the victims and first responders are sufficient for tonight. We'll get our answers as soon as they're available.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#47 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

Crazy to think that I photographed that engine right when it entered service on the Northeast Corridor in March of 2014. Ironically, I was taking Amtrak to Philadelphia. Hopefully that's the only loss.

11257951_1178186288863218_33932816229742

#48 The Chief

The Chief

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Sports, photography, travel, passenger trains, TV, movies, writing, reading, and oscillating fans.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:14 PM

Philadelphia No. 188 NE Regional derail

Street Map RED dot location

Attached File  PhiLLy Amcrash map.jpg   170.08KB   125 downloads

TTTTTTTT ThE ChieF TTTTTTTT

#49 sitzplatz17

sitzplatz17

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Did a human build it? Does it move? Then I like it!!
    Trains, Planes, Automobiles, Ships, Bicycles, etc.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

601 looks quite banged up but is upright.

That should hopefully mean the engineer is ok.

Amtrak Routes I've ridden: Acela Service (4x), Adirondack, Auto Train (9x), California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (4x), Cardinal, Cascades Service (2x), Coast Starlight, Crescent (2x), Downeaster, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service (2x), Missouri River Runner, Northeast Regional (20x+), Pacific Surfliner (10x), Palmetto, Silver Meteor (2x), Silver Star, Southwest Chief (2x), Sunset Limited (ORL - NOL in '01), and the Texas Eagle.

Travelin' Amtrak since '93

#50 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

So sad to see and hear of this. :(

Prayers to all affected.

#51 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,019 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:21 PM

Thirded. Thoughts and prayers with the victims and first responders are sufficient for tonight. We'll get our answers as soon as they're available.

Ditto. That helicopter footage is making me shiver. I can't thank first responders and hospital personnel enough. I'm so glad there are people willing to do those jobs.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#52 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:24 PM

More from FB:

Attached File  10421139_10155487654385034_4192642271466499600_n.jpg   29.68KB   119 downloads
Posted Image

#53 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:25 PM

What adds to the chill factor is that the location of this wreck is the exact location of the 1943 PRR Labor Day wreck.  That was one of the worst accidents in USA rail history.

#54 spacecadet

spacecadet

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:25 PM

Position of the wreckage makes it look to me like it just had too much speed going around the curve. Locomotive just kept going off the track, first car hit something, following cars derailed and rolled until the train stopped.

Hope that first car was empty. Usually that's biz class and at this time of night might be pretty empty.

#55 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:28 PM

CSX says that there was no freight train involvement with this wreck.

#56 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:28 PM

Or a problem with the rail - way too soon to tell.

Doesn't look likely that it was a freight collision, but way too soon for much of anything.
Posted Image

#57 Guest_AlexandriaVATraveler_*

Guest_AlexandriaVATraveler_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

There's nothing we can do with the situation on the ground, so I'd like to ask what this will mean for operations in the short term (commuters, regional intercity, and LD) as well as rolling stock inventory.

#58 Paulus

Paulus

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

CE2xRv_UIAAe4m8.jpg

CE2vLOlWgAAWQJj.jpg

There are additional reports that a SEPTA train got blasted with something shortly before this derailment, with the engineer's cab glass smashed, and came to a halt before being passed by the Amtrak train which derailed.

#59 Guest_AlexandriaVATraveler_*

Guest_AlexandriaVATraveler_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

There's nothing we can do with the situation on the ground, so I'd like to ask what this will mean for operations in the short term (commuters, regional intercity, and LD) as well as rolling stock inventory.

#60 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

From Facebook:

Injuries reported in incident, all Amtrak service canceled this evening between New York and Philadelphia

This evening, Amtrak Northeast Regional Train 188, operating from Washington to New York derailed north of Philadelphia.  There were approximately 238 passengers and 5 crew members on board.  Initial reports are that several passengers have been injured and taken to local medical facilities for treatment.  Local emergency responders are on the scene and an investigation is ongoing.

Northeast Corridor service between New York and Philadelphia is suspended.

Additional updates will be provided when available. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users